Freezing Sweet Potatoes

Can someone tell me how to freeze sweet potatoes?

By Tricia from Walesuk

You need to cook them first, either bake or boil and mash them. Baked ones let cool and toss in a freezer safe bag and label, to use pull out what # you want and let thaw and then reheat. For mashed either put into serving size containers or dollop serving size portions onto a cookie sheet and freeze then put the frozen dollops into a freezer container and label. I would suggest that you let the dollops thaw in a pot then stir them up and reheat. Oh you can season them before freezing but it would be better to season when reheating as some seasonings either loose their flavor or get stronger when frozen.

Here is how I freeze sweet potatoes. I bake them in the microwave until they start to get soft. I let them cool, then peel & slice them in round disks. I place them on a plastic lined cookie sheet then freeze. When they are frozen, you can then put them in a bag, laying them flat. This way you have them ready to make candied or fried sweet potatoes. I always freeze sweet potatoes when they are on sale, so I can have them ready to re-bake or fry in butter. I make candied sweet potatoes by laying them in a buttered pan, (how ever many you need), putting butter on each slice, them sprinkling brown sugar on them. Bake about 20 mins, then place mini marshmallows on the sweet potatoes & bake until the marshmallows are brown, (about 10 more mins.) Hope you will enjoy these.

Pat in GA

P.S. You can always mashed these if you want them that way.

Sweet potatoes lying on a towel.
Freezing Sweet Potatoes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesSeptember 20, 2010
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
growing sweet potatoes
Growing Sweet Potatoes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes