Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Paint stains can be difficult to remove, especially if they are allowed to dry. Depending on the type of paint stain, you will want to use different stain removal methods. This is a guide about removing paint stains from clothing.

Photo of a man painting his house.
Filter Sort

Question: Tempera Paint Stain Removal

I am a therapist that works with children and have ruined clothes due to the children painting with tempera paint. The children also have ruined clothes. Is there a way to remove the dried paint from clothes?

Alice from Cleburne, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By reva 4 Flag

When my husband was getting his undergraduate degree he worked at the campus daycare. What they did was add dish soap to the liquid tempura it would come right out. I think baby laundry soap added to it would work as well.

Reva

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Before I get the paint out, I put on a smock. The kids wear smocks, too. Liquid soap added to the paint does help, but isn't foolproof. I ruined a lot of good clothes in the classroom before I became consistent with wearing a smock!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Margarine to Remove Oil Based Paint

By Darlene 1

To remove oil based paint off clothing spread margarine on spot and scrub with a toothbrush. I was amazed!

Source: Parent from work

By Darlene from Keswick, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Latex Paint Stain on Jeans

By TRINA 1

We were painting our walls when we were moving and my daughter got white paint all over her new jeans. Is there anything I can do to save her jeans? I thought about dyeing them. Please help.

By Trina from Richmond, VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Parker 1 Flag

I had a black pair of skinny jeans that had about 4 spots of white (very) on it. A couple of spots were from the entire paint brush as well. All I did was spray shout triple acting onto all the spots, rub it in, wash it in cold water. Took it out of the wash, and the paint was gone. The paint had been dried on there for about 8 or 9 hours before it caught my eye. Maybe i got lucky? I don't kno, haha, but it worked for me! :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Black Paint from Clothing

By marion lyons 1

My daughter got black paint on her lilac winter jacket and it's a real mess. I tried the rubbing alcohol, the hand sanitizer and the Goo Off. Nothing is working. Please help. She also got some on her jeans and I have tried all of the above without any luck too.

Marion from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Spacecase 11 79 Flag

If your daughters jacket is made from a synthetic material then acetone, nail polish remover, and many other chemicals will start melting the fabric. Any oil based product such as WD-40, will leave an oil stain in the material leaving you with two things to try and remove.

When Latex or oil based paints dry on material, there is only one product that will truly remove it. Using anything else is a waste of money, time, and effort.

This product was first made for painters about one hundred years ago, to remove dried paint from their painting overalls and brushes. Back then, throwing them out and buying new ones was unheard of.

Unfortunately, this product is no longer sold in stores and needs to be bought directly from the manufacturer.

The product is called, "Save a Brush" made by Red Devil,Inc.. Phone # 1-800-423-3845 Ext. 3036 cost $ 2.50 a bag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint on Clothing

I have a good sweat shirt that I got paint on. What is a good remedy for removal? The shirt is white and the paint black.

By Linda L. from St. Cloud, MN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

If the paint is wet, you may be able to get it off with water (latex or acrylic paint) or paint thinner (oil based). If it is dry, there is nothing that I know of that will remove either kind of paint. Paint is made to be non-removable. If it came off, we wouldn't use it on our walls or paintings.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint Stain on Sweatshirt

By Holly Marie G. 1

How do you get pink paint out of a blue sweatshirt?

By Holly G.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By TheThreadLady 1 8 Flag

Chances are you can't get the stain out. Unless it was textile paint that sets with heat. Any other kind of paint is permanent. Don't throw the sweatshirt away though, find a great applique at your local craft store and put it over the stain. If that looks off-center, add more stuff to the sweatshirt to make it look trendy. You can find all kinds of books in the library on re-making clothes. Also, there are lots of books on making sweatshirts into jackets.

Even if you don't sew, use the iron-on appliques you find and you can add lots of other embellishments by using products such as Steam-a-Seam 2 that permanently bond fabric to fabric. It also will bond appliques that aren't iron-on. One book I saw for non-sewers uses a glue gun to put on the embellishments. It even uses it to keep seams together if you don't have a sewing machine.

In most of the other questions about grease stains, nacho cheese stains, orange stain, salad dressing the answer is the same. I have successfully removed stains using a product that is made to take grease off car mechanics hands. One of the ones I have used is called Go-Jo, but there are lots of others. You find those in the car department at Wal-Mart or Target and you can find them at your local car parts store. I have even found them in the dollar store. I use this product often to get the stains around my husband's shirt collars off. You just rub it in thoroughly and then throw it in the wash with the rest of the laundry. Don't put it on and let it sit, put the article in the washer immediately. There are lots of books about cleaning that mention this product.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By coville123 326 89 Flag

If it was oil based paint, sponge turpentine on it. Blot with clean rag to prevent paint from spreading. For water based paint scrape off excess wash in hottest water possible.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Paint on Polyester

By Stephanie VanCardo 1

How do I get an indoor, white paint stain (now covered by black permanent marker) out of my daughter's black polyester, crinoline and nylon dress?

By Stephanie from St. Louis, MO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By justmehere 1 Flag

I used the hand wash that you don't need water for (the smell of it is enough to strip paint). Put a little bit on and rubbed in with a hard toothbrush. Just kept reapplying and brushing till it was all gone then washed as normal and all is well. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Dried Paint on Clothing

By Judy S. 1

How do I remove off white paint from black pants?

By

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By purify100 1 Flag

I brushed the back of my Eddie Brauer down feather long coat on flat finished white paint 7 months ago. It's made of 52% nylon, 32% polyester, 15% cotton. I used shout triple action, it's a stain remover. I did a section at a time and it worked. Don't saturate or put too little just enough to cover the stain. Wait a few seconds then use a dry paper towel with pressure and wipe back and forth. I noticed it somehow turned the paint into a chalky substance that it was easy to scrape off when somewhat dry using my finger nail. In some areas you will have to repeat the process especially heavy stain area. Note: the bottle will state "Dry paint may be impossible for any stain treater to remove." I tried it anyway based on recommendation from another user on this website.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Dried Paint from Clothing

I had my favorite white t-shirt on and I got some blue paint on my collar. I then by mistake put it with the laundry and I'm not too sure how to get it off, does anybody know how? Thanks.

By William

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Spacecase 11 79 Flag

Normally everyone will tell you it can not be taken out and for the most part that is the way it is, except for this one little product that has been around for over one hundred years. It is called," Sav-a-Brush" made by Red Devil Paint. It is no longer sold in stores and must be ordered directly.

It is a powder you add to water and soak your clothes in. Made for painters when throwing away drop cloths or painter's overalls were just plain not done. It costs about $2.99 Order at Red Devil Paint.com or call 1 800-423-3845 ext 3036

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Clothing

I got green matte emulsion paint on my best white interview blouse. I've tried bleaching it several times but it won't wash out. Any suggestions?

By Jackie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Shelly Elsner 4 17 Flag

Soak the blouse in white vinegar for several hours. Then use the back of a "butter" knife to scratch off the paint. If there's still paint residue, repeat process. My husband got white latex paint on his favorite Camo shirt and let it dry before he told me about it. I couldn't believe it when this method got it out. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Clothing

By ladyhawk13 2

I just would like to know how I can get white paint off of a black work shirt and pants. I have been told that I can use laundry soap, but I would really like to know. I hope that you can help me.

By ladyhawk13 from Guelph, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Carol 5 44 Flag

Hi, I do not know how wide and thick the paint stain is. I usually get mine off with cut-zit or any paste paint remover for furniture and wood. I use a very small round scrubber paint brush. I paint it on and wait about 10-15 minutes and go and use a plastic spoon or stainless and scrape it off. I do this a number of times.

Only thing black can look very worn looking when you do this over and over. However if the paint stain is real heavy (I mean thick) and wide it may not be worth it, but when I have small paint stains I test the fabric and do this. I have never bleached the fabric with it. Even black jeans can look worn in a spot you rub and rub to get out oily spots. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Jeans

By Amiah B. 1

I wore my favorite jeans when helping my girlfriend paint her front room bright yellow. I got paint all down my pant legs. How do I get it out? Please help.

By Mia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I don't think you can get this out, sorry. I have never been able to get paint spots out of clothes. You might have been able to wash this out if you had tried immediately when the paint was wet, but after it has dried, I know of nothing that will remove paint.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from 100% Polyurethane Jacket

By Linda Fields 1

I just received a beautiful black hip length jacket made of Polyurethane. I tried it on and it looks killer on me if I do say so myself! That's when I noticed on the left shoulder a thin vertical line of silver metallic paint about 1/4" to 1/2" in width and about 1 1/2" long. Also there's another 2" long, 1/4" wide streak directly down from the shoulder!

Do any of you have any ideas on how I might be able to clean this and remove the metallic paint? The outer shell of the jacket is made of 100% polyurethane and the INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEANING on the inside tag read: CLEAN WITH DAMP SPONGE, WIPE DRY, DO NOT DRY CLEAN, DO NOT IRON.

This has got me severely stumped! Any suggestions? I'd be forever grateful. Thank you so very much.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kat 7 219 Flag

You could try a tiny bit of acetone nail polish remover on a q tip. BEFORE you try it on the paint, try it on an inner hem to be sure it doesn't alter the fabric itself. If it remains unchanged, do a tiny amount at a time, only adding more remover as needed to do the job. Change q tips frequently. After you are done clean the areas with mild soap on a damp sponge to remove any residue. Not much to lose at this point, unless you would wear it with the paint on it if you cannot get it out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Dried Masonary Paint From Clothing

I got white masonry paint on my partner's black t-shirt. Could somebody please advice me on how to remove it? Advice much appreciated.

By Claire from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Elaine S. 39 243 Flag

Is it a latex paint? If it is, you might stand a chance by going to a home improvement store and asking for a product that removes paint when you have painted walls at home and got some on the woodwork. It might work the same on clothing. I cannot remember the exact name of it right now but if you tell them what I just said, they will probably know. If it is an oil paint, I think there probably would not be much luck in getting it out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Latex Paint from Clothing

I got white latex paint on my favorite blue crop pants. I tried scrubbing with several stain removal products. It still is in the fabric. Is there any hope left? The pants are still wet from scrubbing if that helps any.

By urban farm girl

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

Try plain, clear ammonia. Not the cleaners "containing" ammonia. Pour on spot, wait a minute, scrub with old toothbrush. Best done outdoors of course.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint Stains from Spandex

I got dried paint and a mud splatter on my spandex bike pants and don't know how to get it out.

By Grace R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

The best way to get rid of paint spatter is to try to carefully scrape off the paint from the spandex, trying to avoid snagging the fabric. The mud should soften if you soak it in water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from an Under Armor Jacket

I was helping my friend paint his room, then I got paint all over my Under Armor Jacket. Does anyone have a solution to get the paint stain off?

By Bob

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I do not know of any product that removes house paint from clothing. Sorry. If you tackle it before it dries, sometimes you have a chance, but otherwise, I think you will now have a very nice Under Armor paint jacket.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Tempera Paint from a Jersey

I got some tempera paint on my Rodgers jersey in art, how can I get it out? Any suggestions?

By Kaitie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Tempera paint is a water based paint. It should wash out in the regular laundry, I'd think.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from a Jacket

How do I get dry latex paint off a cotton jacket?

By Dawn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Ordinarily, I would have said you can't. However, I have seen a product advertised called Motsenbocker's Lift Off for artist's acrylic paint, which should work as well on latex -- very similar stuff. I haven't tried it. Here is the website

www.liftoffinc.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How Do I Get Oil Paint Out of a Sweater?

How to get oil paint out of white sweater?

By vbirditt

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Alicia 6 137 Flag

I would try dish detergent, but I doubt there is much hope. I'm going to say you're not going to get it out, so you will have to cover it up somehow. Appliques, patches, or embroidery may be the way to go, but can get seriously expensive quickly. You probably are further ahead to wear it for painting or schlubbing arround the house and purchasing a new one for wear in public. You can find some great things at thrift stores for next to nothing!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from a Cotton Duvet Cover

By Janine Grant 1

I have got some dried emulsion paint on a lovely new duvet cover (cotton). How can I get it off? What is Goof Off?

Janine from Great Britain

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have used mentholated spirits and it works, test small area for colour fastness. Use in a well ventilated room. Dab on, work in then wash in usual way. Hope it works for you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Waterbased Paint from Blue Jeans

By Jack DLP 1 1

I got this pair of blue jogger pants and I wore it during a rave party. I didn't know that what there was a "paint war" so everybody was drenched with paint. They say it is only waterbased paint. I didn't wash it for few days and when I did, the paint wasn't removed. What should I do? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jack DLP 1 1 Flag

Thank you ðŸ˜Ší ½

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing UV Paint from Shoes

My boyfriend went to a paint party in Magaluf and has wrecked his trainers. The bright UV paint won't come off the white fabric areas. I've tried carefully bleaching the white parts, but I'm not seeing much result. Should I try white spirit? or does anyone have any better suggestions?
    Thanks.

By Gemma

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

The white spirits should remove the paint. You can also try nail varnish remover-be sure it has acetone in it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PAM 1

How do I remove dried paint from clothes?

By Pam

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Spacecase 11 79 Flag

Oh lord, please do not use Goof Off- Goo Gone on your clothes. That is a oil based product similar to WD-40 and yes,it might take paint out but you will then be left with a big oil/grease stain to try and remove. Go on-line to Red Devil Paint.com and get a small bag of "Save a Brush". This is the only thing I have ever used that actually will take dried paint out of material. It was first sold to professional painters to remove any paint from their very expensive paint brushes and painters over-alls. Back then people did not throw away their tools/clothes.

They had one pair and had to take care of them. That was something my great grandfather and grandfather used and is still made today. Very inexpensive also. Get it at ,"Red Devil Paint Company.com" Do not use an oil based product they do not work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Under Armour Clothing

By Charcelia 1

How do I get paint off of Under Amour clothing?

Charcelia from The Woodlands, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By K OLeary 4 6 Flag

There is a link with your post. Most are using hand sanitizer and or rubbing alcohol with success and some are using nail polish remover. I have used Goop hand cleaner on fresh paint and saved the clothes but I'm not sure it would help an older paint stain. Hope you can save the jersey

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Acrylic Paint on a Ski Jacket

By Laurie 1

How do I get acrylic paint off of a ski jacket?

Laurie from Ironwood, Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gayle 41 Flag

I have had very good luck on alot of surfaces and fabrics with Awesome, which I buy at our local dollar store. Try it on an area which is not seen first.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Paint Stain on a Swimsuit

Can you get wet paint out of a swimsuit? I have pool-side paint on a spandex suit.

Stephanie from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I got paint on my brand new white shirt and I need to get green and blue paint out of it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Morph Suit Masks

By Koda M. 1

The tag says 86% polyester and 14% Spandex. My little brother, being the impatient kid he is, decided he didn't want to wait a day for me to get off work to help him with his Spiderman costume my mom just spent 80 dollars on. Somehow he managed to get white paint spots on it, following up with red paint trying to cover it up. So I'm trying to save him from getting his Halloween for the next hundred years from being taken from him by trying to get it out. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing House Paint from Clothing

By blacky2013 1

How do I remove house paint from dark black pants?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Dried Paint from Clothes

By Kathy Fain B. 1

How do you remove paint from light colored denim after it has been in the washer and dryer?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint Stains From Black Pants

How do I get white paint stains out of black dress pants.

By Shawna from Indianapolis, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Luminous Paint from Suit Jacket

Prom night prank! Bright orange/green luminous paint apparently from "glow sticks?" spilled on the shoulder of a brand new suit jacket from Reiss in navy, 100% cotton. Any ideas how to remove? It is well and truly dried on.

By S.W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Spray Paint Off Clothing

I got spray paint on my hoody. How do I get it off?

By Julie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Paint Out of Clothes

White paint on black basketball shorts.I got a small white spot of paint on my basketball shorts and black t-shirt and I forgot about it. It was sitting in my room for a couple of days and the paint has dried. Is there anyway I can get the paint off? White paint on black clothing. Paint spatters on black clothing.

By Alliyah X

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint Stain from Jeans

I've tried rubbing alcohol and several types of stain removers, and thus far, nothing much worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for all the help.

By Alan090250

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint on Polyester Sweatpants

How do you get black paint out of 100 percent polyester sweatpants?

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Polyester Jacket

By Neil H. 1

I picked up a white, oil based, paint stain on my navy blue rain proof polyester Gore-Tex jacket. It has been on the jacket for a couple of days, so it is nicely dried to material.

By Neil from Croydon, UK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Spray Paint Out of Lycra Swim Suit

We had a party today and we had to take white shirts to spray paint. Now little did I know that the paint would seep through onto my new Lycra swimming costume. How can I wash this out? Please help!

By Anna R

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: White Paint on Black Jacket

I got a small line of white paint on my black baseball (varsity) jacket. It's not a thick line and I already scrubbed at it and put it through the wash, but the stain is still there. Is there anyway to get rid of it? To make it worse the black also faded were I was scrubbing at the jacket, is there anyway to get rid of this? Thanks.

By Jordan T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint Stains on Tutu

I had to paint my room last month. I was wearing my only and favorite tutu because I just got back from my little sister's bday party. (I may be a teen, but I love tutus.) I didn't think I would get paint on it, but I did. I have white paint on a black tutu. It is dry now and I need to get it out fast! Tomorrow is my picture day and I really want to wear the tutu. How can I get the paint out?

By Rose

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint on Sweatpants

I got white paint on my dark grey sweat pants. How do I get the paint out?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Acrylic Paint from Shorts

How do I get dried up black acrylic paint off of polyester gym shorts?

By Scott P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Black Light Paint from Dress

How do you get glow in the dark/black light responsive paint off of a cotton white and grey maxi dress?

By Katie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Powder Paint on Nikes

View of Nike.How do you get powder paint off of white Nike Air Forces (shoes)?

By Kira

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Dried Paint from a Sweater

I was painting at school and forgot to take off my sweater and got paint all over it. My mom also washed it. Any tips on getting it out?

By Brooklyn J

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Body Paint on Clothes and Hat

I was at a party and someone threw a bottle of paint which hit me and stained my hat and clothes. I believe it is some sort of body paint because it is neon green. It' embedded in the hat pretty badly. I'm not sure there's much hope.

By Dan R. from New York, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Paint Stain on Sweater

I was painting with my sister and I got red paint on my black sweater. Do you guys have a way for me to get it off?

By Alyssa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Moleskin Pants

By Carol Cantor M. 1

I have a fav pair of brown moleskin pants. I had my apt painted this week and accidentally hit the wet wall. Any hope?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Primer Paint from Clothes

How do you get primer out of clothes?

By Keely

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Clothing

How do I remove Behr paint from my son's cotton school uniform?

By Sheila

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Clothing

How can you get paint off of a shirt without removing the color?

By Amber

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Brown Paint on Child's Shirt

How do you get brown paint out of a child's blouse?

By M. Limauge

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Craft Paint from Clothing

How do I remove papier mache paint from clothes?

By Debi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint from Clothing

I got red paint on my fab white top. I have tried everything I can think of. I put it to be washed, but it wasn't washed. It has been 4 four days. How do I get it out? Please help!

By Shannon H

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

How do I get brown fence paint out my Lacoste shorts?

By Sarah

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Primer Stains on Clothing

By ed 1

How can I remove Kilz paint primer from my cotton Dickie pants?

By Ed

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Paint From a Down Filled Jacket

By Gail 1

I have dried paint on a down-filled white jacket. How can I remove it?

By Gail from Weymouth, MA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gloss Paint from Jeans

By karen 1

How do you remove gloss paint from denim?

By Karen from England

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Enamel Paint Stains

How do I remove enamel paint splashes from a corduroy shirt?

Keri from Johannesburg, South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Is it possible to remove old water based paint from mainly cotton clothing without causing too much damage?

Thank you,
          Frank from Australia

Answers:

Scrapper's Solution

I just removed a couple of very old white paint stains from a pair of blue jeans. I had tried rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover, and neither worked, so I randomly decided to try a product that I had around, called "Scrapper's Solution" by Un-du. It's designed for fixing scrapbooking mistakes (if you've glued something in the wrong place). I scrubbed the stains with a toothbrush, adding another drop of the solution every few seconds. I scrubbed for about 5 minutes, and the paint stains are gone! (09/09/2006)

By Hilary

Alcohol

Definitely USE ALCOHOL! I'm so glad I didn't listen to the nay-sayers who said old dried paint simply won't come out. After reading these postings, moments ago I applied rubbing alcohol to old (I'm talking years) paint stain on the sleeve of a favorite sweater. This was an open knit sweater so it took extensive rubbing to work out all the 3-D paint, but it worked! Admittedly, all the rubbing did fray the sleeve a tad, but this is waaaay better than a ghost of light paint all along a dark blue sleeve. Thanks! (10/19/2006)

By

Alcohol

Checked your website immediately and tackled my sweatshirt with alcohol as suggested. It took quite a bit of scrubbing with a cloth and a toothbrush but the paint is gone. My sweatshirt is red, the paint was white. There is no fading at the stain sight or damage to the fibers. THANK YOU! (12/04/2006)

By SYL

Thanks

We have been painting one of our children's homes and got paint on my favorite shirt. My first thought was ThriftyFun. Bless everyone who posted how to remove the paint, I now am able to wear my shirt again. (12/06/2006)

By imaqt1962

ALCOHOL

On my daughter's black polyester workout pants horribly marred with dried yellow paint. All I can say is that rubbing alcohol and scrubbing like a banshee with a nylon Dobie potscrubber worked PURE MAGIC! (12/29/2006)

By Cindy

How do I get paint off of jeans? How do I remove gloss paint from clothing (i.e. jeans)?

Roy

Answers:

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Thank goodness for your site! Had paint on my brand new roots sweater! Nail polish remover got it out! Thanks so much! (12/11/2007)

By Ashlee

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I couldn't find any rubbing alcohol so I used a little Murphy's Oil Soap diluted in water and scrubbed with an old toothbrush and I was able to get the little bits of black spray paint off my new ski jacket. :) (12/25/2007)

By Gail

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

My husband called to find out if I could get paint out of his favorite jeans. I ran over to get them and bring them home to try and get the stain out. My internet was acting weird so as I re-started my computer, I put the jeans in the sink in hot water to begin pre-treating as soon as possible.

I scrubbed the stain with a kitchen dish scrubber and detergent for about 15-20 minutes and most of it came out. I think it had been about an hour since the paint got on the clothing.

When I was finally able to check the internet, I came to this site and read the whole page. I decided to try alcohol first (since I had it on hand) and the rest of the stain came out in about 2 minutes!! (Too bad I wasn't able to read this first!)

I then took his ski jacket (which got paint on it the day before - they were 24-hour old stains) and literally removed about 7 very large stains and a bunch of small stains in 10 minutes.

The alcohol worked great. I would definitely recommend trying that first. And any material that is non-absorbent (like the ski jacket for example) should be very easy to clean. It literally wiped off when I put the alcohol on it and scrubbed it with the kitchen dish scrubber! (01/02/2008)

By April

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

ALWAYS Test a small hidden spot and wait 10min before continuing.
          I just ruined a quilt using rubbing alcohol to remove a paint stain -- it removed the color. I tested a spot, but did not wait long enough. (01/05/2008)

By Richard

Hand Sanitizer

I couldn't find a solvent or rubbing alcohol so I tried Generic Hand Sanitizer. The gel really worked well! (01/08/2008)

By Sean

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Oh my gosh! Hand sanitizer really works!
          you have to rub it a little. (01/10/2008)

By guest

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Hairspray also removes permant marker. Saturate area, rub between hands, then rinse with bar hand soap and water. If marker is on a hard surface then just spray with hair spray and it will start to run right off. Wipe with paper towel so as you don't transfer stain to a cloth. (01/21/2008)

By Mary

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I have a North Face skiing jacket and it's quite expensive. It's basically waterproof but I heard regular washes would hurt the waterproof coating. Today I got some type of red stuff on it, somewhat a lipstick shade but I have no idea what it is. I tried using a cleaner for jackets but it's not working. Would alcohol or hairspray ruin the coating? (01/22/2008)

By Nicole

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I just used hand sanitizer to remove paint stains from my daughters jeans. The stain is over a month old, and it came out with a dab of hand sanitizer and rubbing with an old toothbrush. Thanks so much for saving a pair of jeans. I thought they were trash. (01/25/2008)

By Jennifer

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Vodka and a scourer worked great for some bad gloss streaks on my jacket. (01/27/2008)

By Fred

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Hi. My daughter got gloss paint on her new designer jeans, I came onto this page to see if there was anything I could do. Tried the alcohol first, it got most of the paint out within 5 mins. Then sprayed hairspray onto the remaining stain and it came out instantly. Julie (01/31/2008)

By julie

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I tried everything but couldn't get the brown latex paint off my black Boss jeans. So I pained the brown spot with some black paint...perfect. (01/31/2008)

By Peter

It worked

Alcohol really worked. I am in love with it. You got to try it. It is magnificent. (02/05/2008)

By Courtney

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

HAIRSPRAY! You're all geniuses! Thank you for saving my favorite sweater from an Orangey fate. (02/06/2008)

By Kirsten

Removing the dogs uh oh.

After seeing a comforter at Macys I begged for it for Christmas! After the boyfriends choice of said gift he was the king of our house that was, until just shy of 1 week having my new $500.00 khaki comforter got lovely puppy paw prints in BRIGHT YELLOW paint all over the bed. While wet he knew he could get most of it...and he explained he got it all. Well last night almost 4 weeks after the incident I noticed a spot of yellow paint still the size of a puppy paw on the darker side of the room on the bed on the very edge...needless to say thank you to hand sanatizer and some alcohol. It came right out. Did get a toothbrush and let it set for a couple minutes before hand. THANK YOU S much! 2-6-08
          (02/06/2008)

By Just A Girl

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I just used the hand sanitizer on a jacket that had been washed and dried! It worked, I just used the sanitizer and a stiff brush. Worked great on paint to remove it. (02/12/2008)

By Lisa

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I used Murphy's Oil Soap diluted with a little water to get the paint off my favorite Gortex ski jacket! It worked like a charm, just scrub with an old toothbrush! (02/22/2008)

By Shayle

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

VODKA! It's AMAZING! Took a gloss paint stain out of my jeans perfectly with a bit of scrubbing of course, but still couldn't ask for a better result! thanx! (02/25/2008)

By Ems

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Thank all of you for your suggestions. The Murphys Oil Soap did get a little of the paint off my husband's scrub pants but the alcohol got it all! Thank you very much.
          Elaine (03/07/2008)

By ElaineTrex

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I sat on a bus stop bench the other day and I sat on something which looked like white paint in my black suit pants. I didn't realize until I had already washed them, after reading your article I decided to try the hair spray and it worked brilliantly so well done! (03/30/2008)

By Emma

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

WOW! I used the rubbing alcohol on a dried paint stain on my daughter's skirt and with a toothbrush it came out! Thanks! (04/09/2008)

By Tricia

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Yes, Alcohol did it. I have a suit where I brushed against a painted wall. I took it to the dry cleaners. They said it couldn't come out. So being stubborn like I am. I checked online and found this post about Alcohol, so I tried it. As soon as I poured it on the pants it spread out and began to dissolve. I had to repeat it several times But it is out! Thank you very much! (04/09/2008)

By Wilie

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

My son got oil based paint on his Sr. Jacket which is water repellent. The stain was several days old. Alcohol and hair spray did it! I can't believe it! I really does work! (04/15/2008)

By Frieda

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

i have scrubbed my jacket for hours now, only using rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, and hairspray. not all together, but now of these products work!
          Is there anything else that will remove house paint from my jacket.

thank you (04/18/2008)

By cheyne

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Hand sanitizer is good. Just put some on the stain and scrub it. Then, wash it off. (04/24/2008)

By someone

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

My daughter got paint @ a birthday on her bathing suit. I came to this web site and tries alcohol and a toothbrush. It did come out, with a little scrubbing! Thank you all. (04/27/2008)

By angie

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Will rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer or hairspray work on clothes that are dry clean only? I backed into a wet paint window sill with my favorite trousers. (04/27/2008)

By amy

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

The alcohol tip works! I have khaki capri pants that had red paint stains around the knees. I had already washed and dried the pants and the stain was set. Now it's gone! Rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush -- it took about 5 minutes. Awesome! (04/28/2008)

By Stephanie Williams

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Latex on "dry clean only" drapery panel. Alcohol didn't budge it, but cleaning fluid did the trick. (05/04/2008)

By Marge

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

This tip was excellent. I was mad when my dad got paints on my new shorts, but hand sanitizer took it right out! (05/10/2008)

By Mr.Clean

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Got covered in wet gloss paint, had little hope of removing it, but after checking this site found that the hairspray tip worked fantasticly! cheers guys! (05/13/2008)

By lucy

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Got black spray paint stains (paint was still wet) on the first day of wearing my expensive new NHL jersey. Made the mistake of spraying it with stain remover and washing it. Looked here when the stains didn't go away. Rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush took them right out! Thank you so much! (05/15/2008)

By Vinny

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I wish I would have looked here first! I first tried goop off, which does not work by the way, then I came to the computer, I say a praise on using rubbing alcohol and thought "what's to lose," gave it a try and it worked wonders scrubbing with the toothbrush, thank you so much. (05/16/2008)

By Tina

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

The rubbing alcohol worked GREAT! It came right out. (05/18/2008)

By

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Amazed! Alcohol worked fast and easy. Thanks (06/02/2008)

By amanda

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Beige cord pants with a blue acrylic paint. small spot but I just bought these pants. Trying this tomorrow morning, any ideas?
          (06/08/2008)

By Mitch

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Rubbing alcohol = paint stain's worst nightmare! Thanks guys! (06/09/2008)

By Pat

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I got gloss DRY paint on my favorite blue jeans. I tried using spirit but it wouldn't work. So what should I do? Please I need HELP! (06/14/2008)

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I just tried alcohol and hand sanitizer. On black dress pants. It worked great!
          Thanks everyone. (06/16/2008)

By reina39

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

My husband got paint on his new blue jeans. I soaked them overnight, used a paste for stain removal, scrubbed them with a brush and nothing worked. Finally I used alcohol and the stain came out completely. I should have tried this first. Thanks so much. (06/25/2008)

By christine

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Get some Grease Lightening sold at Lowe's in the cleaning section. Works wonders. Spray on the paint stain and let it set. Then with a brush scrub the stain forcefully out.
          I work in the paint section at Lowe's.

(06/26/2008)

By George

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

So I tried the alcohol on my khaki capris which had a white paint stain that was about 2hrs dry! and WOW! I had been scrubbing with dove and a toothbrush for about 30min before I came to this and let me tell you it didn't take more than 2min for it to begin to come off =] Overall very happy. (07/01/2008)

By Alicia

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Love alcohol! Great idea, thank you.
          I'd opened a paint sample in b&q and it splattered onto my jacket. All good now though! (07/09/2008)

By jo

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

So my boyfriends little brother stole his FAVORITE black t-shirt and got white (water-based) paint on it. What's the best thing to use without fading the black and Hopefully saving his tee? By the way I think it has already been washed and dried. I haven't tried anything yet, cause I don't want to damage it more. Help Please =) (07/25/2008)

By Maygan

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Rubbing alcohol worked really well on my jeans. (07/30/2008)

By Nicole

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

It worked! Thank God for the internet! My favorite shorts are as good as new! (08/03/2008)

By Lets

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I've got some overalls "Blue" with logos in white stamped on the back by the manufacturer, any ideas on how I may be able to remove these logos?
          Thank you, R (08/06/2008)

By Randi

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

WOW! The Alcohol worked awesome! I had paint on my jean skirt for months and it had been washed and dried several times, I poured the alcohol on and scrubbed with a tooth brush and it was GONE all of it!! THANK YOU!! (08/08/2008)

By crissy42268

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

i just wanted to post and say THANK YOU! I received a pretty sweatshirt from a friend which paint stains on it. I tried the hairspray and a tooth brush and its coming out! i will use alcohol and i am sure it will come out! (08/09/2008)

By lynar

With any stain, you want to treat it as quickly as possible. If paint is allowed to dry on your clothing it will be more difficult to remove all traces of the stain.

The lady I work for does oil paintings. The other day she dropped and I caught it getting paint on my uniform.

How do I get dried "water-soluble" wall paint spatters off my knit shirt? I washed it and the paint is still there. Thanks.

By cindyluhu from Melbourne, FL

Feedback:

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

I have had great success using Murphy's Oil Soap. Wet the paint spot with water, apply Murphy's, let it sit a few minutes. I used a soft toothbrush to lightly scrub. I use this product to clean my decorative painting brushes. If this doesn't work, try 91% alcohol. Let it soak as well. It will dissolve the water-based paint. I've also heard of using oven cleaner on oil-based paints. Before you try any spot cleaning, check for color-fastness on the inside hem if possible. Would hate to ruin your clothes. Good Luck. (06/18/2009)

By StefPaints

RE: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Mommy was a hero. Mineral spirits worked wonderfully to remove oil-based wood stain from a 100% polyester futbol jersey (Barcelona). It also had water-based paint on it. I chose to use the mineral spirits first to treat the wood stain by simply pouring a little on each spot and let it sit or apply more until it faded.

I then washed in cold with regular laundry detergent. I then went to work on the paint by scrubbing with an abrasive soap bar I have (called Hog Wash) that is for scrubbing stains. Using that and warm-hot water, the paint came out too. One more wash as normal and you can't tell it was ever stained. Both were fresh stains although the paint had dried, but it was only about 2 hours old. (07/05/2009)

By mshumaker

How do I get dried paint and plaster out of black cotton?

I bumped into a door with wet paint and got paint on my jean dress. How can I get it off my dress?

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 17, 2011
          ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
          Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
          Removing Paint from Concrete
          Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
          Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
          Removing Graphite (or Pencil) Stains from Clothing
          sweat stain on dark clothing
          Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 5:28:56 PM on 10.0.1.20 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
          NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
          Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
          BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
          CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings