Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Paint stains can be difficult to remove, especially if they are allowed to dry. Depending on the type of paint stain, you will want to use different stain removal methods. This is a guide about removing paint stains from clothing.

January 27, 2017 Flag

A purple shirt with white paint spatters.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing paint stains from dried clothing. A surprising solution for dried paint on clothing can be hair spray.

December 9, 2016 Flag

A man painting and wearing paint spattered jeans.

This is a guide about removing latex paint stains on jeans. Although water based, latex paint can be a challenge to remove from clothing especially after it has dried.

May 21, 2009 Flag

To remove oil based paint off clothing spread margarine on spot and scrub with a toothbrush. I was amazed!

Source: Parent from work

By Darlene from Keswick, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It really works!

June 16, 2015 Flag

lots of paint spilled on jeans

Once this paint has dried it can be nearly impossible to remove from many fabrics. This is a guide about removing acrylic paint from clothing.

November 1, 2011 Flag

How do you get pink paint out of a blue sweatshirt?

By Holly G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Chances are you can't get the stain out. Unless it was textile paint that sets with heat. Any other kind of paint is permanent. Don't throw the sweatshirt away though, find a great applique at your local craft store and put it over the stain. If that looks off-center, add more stuff to the sweatshirt to make it look trendy. You can find all kinds of books in the library on re-making clothes. Also, there are lots of books on making sweatshirts into jackets.

Even if you don't sew, use the iron-on appliques you find and you can add lots of other embellishments by using products such as Steam-a-Seam 2 that permanently bond fabric to fabric. It also will bond appliques that aren't iron-on. One book I saw for non-sewers uses a glue gun to put on the embellishments. It even uses it to keep seams together if you don't have a sewing machine.

In most of the other questions about grease stains, nacho cheese stains, orange stain, salad dressing the answer is the same. I have successfully removed stains using a product that is made to take grease off car mechanics hands. One of the ones I have used is called Go-Jo, but there are lots of others. You find those in the car department at Wal-Mart or Target and you can find them at your local car parts store. I have even found them in the dollar store. I use this product often to get the stains around my husband's shirt collars off. You just rub it in thoroughly and then throw it in the wash with the rest of the laundry. Don't put it on and let it sit, put the article in the washer immediately. There are lots of books about cleaning that mention this product.

September 13, 2006 Flag

I am a therapist that works with children and have ruined clothes due to the children painting with tempera paint. The children also have ruined clothes. Is there a way to remove the dried paint from clothes?

Alice from Cleburne, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

When my husband was getting his undergraduate degree he worked at the campus daycare. What they did was add dish soap to the liquid tempura it would come right out. I think baby laundry soap added to it would work as well.

Reva

November 2, 2011 Flag

I have a good sweat shirt that I got paint on. What is a good remedy for removal? The shirt is white and the paint black.

By Linda L. from St. Cloud, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If the paint is wet, you may be able to get it off with water (latex or acrylic paint) or paint thinner (oil based). If it is dry, there is nothing that I know of that will remove either kind of paint. Paint is made to be non-removable. If it came off, we wouldn't use it on our walls or paintings.

May 28, 2011 Flag

I wore my favorite jeans when helping my girlfriend paint her front room bright yellow. I got paint all down my pant legs. How do I get it out? Please help.

By Mia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't think you can get this out, sorry. I have never been able to get paint spots out of clothes. You might have been able to wash this out if you had tried immediately when the paint was wet, but after it has dried, I know of nothing that will remove paint.

November 5, 2015 Flag

I got this pair of blue jogger pants and I wore it during a rave party. I didn't know that what there was a "paint war" so everybody was drenched with paint. They say it is only waterbased paint. I didn't wash it for few days and when I did, the paint wasn't removed. What should I do? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you ðŸ˜Ší ½

September 1, 2011 Flag

I got green matte emulsion paint on my best white interview blouse. I've tried bleaching it several times but it won't wash out. Any suggestions?

By Jackie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Soak the blouse in white vinegar for several hours. Then use the back of a "butter" knife to scratch off the paint. If there's still paint residue, repeat process. My husband got white latex paint on his favorite Camo shirt and let it dry before he told me about it. I couldn't believe it when this method got it out. Good luck!

August 15, 2011 Flag

I just would like to know how I can get white paint off of a black work shirt and pants. I have been told that I can use laundry soap, but I would really like to know. I hope that you can help me.

By ladyhawk13 from Guelph, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi, I do not know how wide and thick the paint stain is. I usually get mine off with cut-zit or any paste paint remover for furniture and wood. I use a very small round scrubber paint brush. I paint it on and wait about 10-15 minutes and go and use a plastic spoon or stainless and scrape it off. I do this a number of times.

Only thing black can look very worn looking when you do this over and over. However if the paint stain is real heavy (I mean thick) and wide it may not be worth it, but when I have small paint stains I test the fabric and do this. I have never bleached the fabric with it. Even black jeans can look worn in a spot you rub and rub to get out oily spots. Hope this helps.

June 6, 2012 Flag

I got white masonry paint on my partner's black t-shirt. Could somebody please advice me on how to remove it? Advice much appreciated.

By Claire from Scotland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Is it a latex paint? If it is, you might stand a chance by going to a home improvement store and asking for a product that removes paint when you have painted walls at home and got some on the woodwork. It might work the same on clothing. I cannot remember the exact name of it right now but if you tell them what I just said, they will probably know. If it is an oil paint, I think there probably would not be much luck in getting it out.

May 3, 2012 Flag

I got dried paint and a mud splatter on my spandex bike pants and don't know how to get it out.

By Grace R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The best way to get rid of paint spatter is to try to carefully scrape off the paint from the spandex, trying to avoid snagging the fabric. The mud should soften if you soak it in water.

December 18, 2011 Flag

I was helping my friend paint his room, then I got paint all over my Under Armor Jacket. Does anyone have a solution to get the paint stain off?

By Bob

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I do not know of any product that removes house paint from clothing. Sorry. If you tackle it before it dries, sometimes you have a chance, but otherwise, I think you will now have a very nice Under Armor paint jacket.

November 14, 2011 Flag

I got some tempera paint on my Rodgers jersey in art, how can I get it out? Any suggestions?

By Kaitie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Tempera paint is a water based paint. It should wash out in the regular laundry, I'd think.

July 6, 2016 Flag

My husband came home with his work pants covered in Rust-Oleum! It had already dried so I'm not sure if there's anything that I've seen on your site I should try. As you suggest several things for paint, which do I try first on this? No clue if it's oil or water based or even which of the products it was other than it had been spilled all over the floor and he had to try to clean the floor. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2011 Flag

How to get oil paint out of white sweater?

By vbirditt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would try dish detergent, but I doubt there is much hope. I'm going to say you're not going to get it out, so you will have to cover it up somehow. Appliques, patches, or embroidery may be the way to go, but can get seriously expensive quickly. You probably are further ahead to wear it for painting or schlubbing arround the house and purchasing a new one for wear in public. You can find some great things at thrift stores for next to nothing!

January 7, 2009 Flag

My daughter got black paint on her lilac winter jacket and it's a real mess. I tried the rubbing alcohol, the hand sanitizer and the Goo Off. Nothing is working. Please help. She also got some on her jeans and I have tried all of the above without any luck too.

Marion from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When my kids had art class in school, they used to get paint on their clothes all the time. Lestoil works really well at getting paint off from clothes. I'm not sure if it works on all paint types, but it did work on the school paint. You just put some on the paint spot and rub it in. Hope this helps.

April 19, 2010 Flag

How do I get an indoor, white paint stain (now covered by black permanent marker) out of my daughter's black polyester, crinoline and nylon dress?

By Stephanie from St. Louis, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can try fingernail polish remover, but that could ruin the dress.

How about one of these ideas:

Cover the white paint with more permanent black pen, then put an iron-on black lace applique over it. These iron-on black lace appliques come in all sizes & shapes & are sold at the fabric store & sometimes you can find them in the craft isle at Walmart & no sewing needed! You can even cut one of the lace appliques down to size by cutting around the design. Use several paper towels over the fabric when you iron-on the applique to help protect it from the heat!

You could also embroider the area with small black beads. Or use black fabric paint to paint a simple vine over the stain, then cover the wet black fabric paint with black micro-glitter. Then when paint is dry, shake off the extra glitter & the micro-glitter will only stick to where you painted. Or crochet a flower with thin black cotton "knit-cro-sheen" then stitch this crocheted flower over the stain.

* In my experience, Goop only works on oily & greasy stains, not on paint, but it's worth a try!

September 27, 2015 Flag

The tag says 86% polyester and 14% Spandex. My little brother, being the impatient kid he is, decided he didn't want to wait a day for me to get off work to help him with his Spiderman costume my mom just spent 80 dollars on. Somehow he managed to get white paint spots on it, following up with red paint trying to cover it up. So I'm trying to save him from getting his Halloween for the next hundred years from being taken from him by trying to get it out. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2015 Flag

How do I remove house paint from dark black pants?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 5, 2015 Flag

How do you remove paint from light colored denim after it has been in the washer and dryer?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 24, 2013 Flag

My boyfriend went to a paint party in Magaluf and has wrecked his trainers. The bright UV paint won't come off the white fabric areas. I've tried carefully bleaching the white parts, but I'm not seeing much result. Should I try white spirit? or does anyone have any better suggestions?Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 17, 2011
Removing Paint Stains from Dried Clothing
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
lots of paint spilled on jeans
Removing Acrylic Paint From Clothing
Removing Latex Paint Stains on Jeans
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 1:57:31 AM on 10.0.0.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.