Browsing: Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Paint stains can be difficult to remove, especially if they are allowed to dry. Depending on the type of paint stain, you will want to use different stain removal methods. This is a guide about removing paint stains from clothing.

Photo of a man painting his house.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 6, 2016 Flag

My husband came home with his work pants covered in Rust-Oleum! It had already dried so I'm not sure if there's anything that I've seen on your site I should try. As you suggest several things for paint, which do I try first on this? No clue if it's oil or water based or even which of the products it was other than it had been spilled all over the floor and he had to try to clean the floor. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 13, 2006 Flag

I am a therapist that works with children and have ruined clothes due to the children painting with tempera paint. The children also have ruined clothes. Is there a way to remove the dried paint from clothes?

Alice from Cleburne, TX

Best Answer

Before I get the paint out, I put on a smock. The kids wear smocks, too. Liquid soap added to the paint does help, but isn't foolproof. I ruined a lot of good clothes in the classroom before I became consistent with wearing a smock!

Read More Answers...

November 1, 2011 Flag

How do you get pink paint out of a blue sweatshirt?

By Holly G.

Best Answer

If it was oil based paint, sponge turpentine on it. Blot with clean rag to prevent paint from spreading. For water based paint scrape off excess wash in hottest water possible.

Read More Answers...

November 5, 2015 Flag

I got this pair of blue jogger pants and I wore it during a rave party. I didn't know that what there was a "paint war" so everybody was drenched with paint. They say it is only waterbased paint. I didn't wash it for few days and when I did, the paint wasn't removed. What should I do? Thanks.

Nothing. After you washed it the paint stain is set in (believe me nothing is going to take it out )

Read More Answers...

November 2, 2011 Flag

I have a good sweat shirt that I got paint on. What is a good remedy for removal? The shirt is white and the paint black.

By Linda L. from St. Cloud, MN

Best Answer

If the paint is wet, you may be able to get it off with water (latex or acrylic paint) or paint thinner (oil based). If it is dry, there is nothing that I know of that will remove either kind of paint. Paint is made to be non-removable. If it came off, we wouldn't use it on our walls or paintings.

Read More Answers...

May 28, 2011 Flag

I wore my favorite jeans when helping my girlfriend paint her front room bright yellow. I got paint all down my pant legs. How do I get it out? Please help.

By Mia

Best Answer

I don't think you can get this out, sorry. I have never been able to get paint spots out of clothes. You might have been able to wash this out if you had tried immediately when the paint was wet, but after it has dried, I know of nothing that will remove paint.

Read More Answers...

May 21, 2009 Flag

To remove oil based paint off clothing spread margarine on spot and scrub with a toothbrush. I was amazed!

Source: Parent from work

By Darlene from Keswick, Ontario

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2012 Flag

I had my favorite white t-shirt on and I got some blue paint on my collar. I then by mistake put it with the laundry and I'm not too sure how to get it off, does anybody know how? Thanks.

By William

Best Answer

Normally everyone will tell you it can not be taken out and for the most part that is the way it is, except for this one little product that has been around for over one hundred years. It is called," Sav-a-Brush" made by Red Devil Paint. It is no longer sold in stores and must be ordered directly.

It is a powder you add to water and soak your clothes in. Made for painters when throwing away drop cloths or painter's overalls were just plain not done. It costs about $2.99 Order at Red Devil Paint.com or call 1 800-423-3845 ext 3036

Read More Answers...

September 1, 2011 Flag

I got green matte emulsion paint on my best white interview blouse. I've tried bleaching it several times but it won't wash out. Any suggestions?

By Jackie

Best Answer

Soak the blouse in white vinegar for several hours. Then use the back of a "butter" knife to scratch off the paint. If there's still paint residue, repeat process. My husband got white latex paint on his favorite Camo shirt and let it dry before he told me about it. I couldn't believe it when this method got it out. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

August 15, 2011 Flag

I just would like to know how I can get white paint off of a black work shirt and pants. I have been told that I can use laundry soap, but I would really like to know. I hope that you can help me.

By ladyhawk13 from Guelph, Ontario

Best Answer

Hi, I do not know how wide and thick the paint stain is. I usually get mine off with cut-zit or any paste paint remover for furniture and wood. I use a very small round scrubber paint brush. I paint it on and wait about 10-15 minutes and go and use a plastic spoon or stainless and scrape it off. I do this a number of times.

Only thing black can look very worn looking when you do this over and over. However if the paint stain is real heavy (I mean thick) and wide it may not be worth it, but when I have small paint stains I test the fabric and do this. I have never bleached the fabric with it. Even black jeans can look worn in a spot you rub and rub to get out oily spots. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

June 6, 2012 Flag

I got white masonry paint on my partner's black t-shirt. Could somebody please advice me on how to remove it? Advice much appreciated.

By Claire from Scotland

Best Answer

Is it a latex paint? If it is, you might stand a chance by going to a home improvement store and asking for a product that removes paint when you have painted walls at home and got some on the woodwork. It might work the same on clothing. I cannot remember the exact name of it right now but if you tell them what I just said, they will probably know. If it is an oil paint, I think there probably would not be much luck in getting it out.

June 5, 2012 Flag

I got white latex paint on my favorite blue crop pants. I tried scrubbing with several stain removal products. It still is in the fabric. Is there any hope left? The pants are still wet from scrubbing if that helps any.

By urban farm girl

Best Answer

Try plain, clear ammonia. Not the cleaners "containing" ammonia. Pour on spot, wait a minute, scrub with old toothbrush. Best done outdoors of course.

May 3, 2012 Flag

I got dried paint and a mud splatter on my spandex bike pants and don't know how to get it out.

By Grace R.

Best Answer

The best way to get rid of paint spatter is to try to carefully scrape off the paint from the spandex, trying to avoid snagging the fabric. The mud should soften if you soak it in water.

December 18, 2011 Flag

I was helping my friend paint his room, then I got paint all over my Under Armor Jacket. Does anyone have a solution to get the paint stain off?

By Bob

Best Answer

I do not know of any product that removes house paint from clothing. Sorry. If you tackle it before it dries, sometimes you have a chance, but otherwise, I think you will now have a very nice Under Armor paint jacket.

November 14, 2011 Flag

I got some tempera paint on my Rodgers jersey in art, how can I get it out? Any suggestions?

By Kaitie

Best Answer

Tempera paint is a water based paint. It should wash out in the regular laundry, I'd think.

November 7, 2011 Flag

How do I get dry latex paint off a cotton jacket?

By Dawn

Best Answer

Ordinarily, I would have said you can't. However, I have seen a product advertised called Motsenbocker's Lift Off for artist's acrylic paint, which should work as well on latex -- very similar stuff. I haven't tried it. Here is the website

www.liftoffinc.com

May 7, 2011 Flag

How to get oil paint out of white sweater?

By vbirditt

Best Answer

I would try dish detergent, but I doubt there is much hope. I'm going to say you're not going to get it out, so you will have to cover it up somehow. Appliques, patches, or embroidery may be the way to go, but can get seriously expensive quickly. You probably are further ahead to wear it for painting or schlubbing arround the house and purchasing a new one for wear in public. You can find some great things at thrift stores for next to nothing!

Load More
      Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 17, 2011
      Porcelain bathtub.
      Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
      Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
      Removing Paint from Concrete
      Green paint on a brick wall.
      Cleaning Paint from Brick
      Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
      Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 28, 2016 at 7:02:19 AM on 10.0.0.199 in 867 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.