Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Can Hot Water Damage a Wax Ring?

My plumber hooked up the wrong pipe and my toilet filled with 150 degree hot water, which burned my bottom when I flushed. He came back and fixed it, but do you think that I need a new wax ring? Do you think all of that hot water could have damaged the tank or inner workings? I would want him to fix it right away because I don't want to have to pay for another plumbing trip at a later date if the wax ring is bad.

By Rhonda21043 from MD

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]08/18/2009

A plumber careless enough to hook up the wrong water line deserves to lose not only the time and money to correct your problem, but business, as well. I'd mention his carelessness to all my friends. As the customer, you deserve to have the job done right the first time.

By Loretta [18]08/17/2009

You get the man to come back and correct everything that even might be messed up! The wax ring must be replaced. That wax is quite easy to melt, and once messed up, it will not just go back into a nice sealed position. You do not want the leakage to be revealed in a couple weeks.

By kathleen williams [23]08/13/2009

I agree with MCW, make him fix it now. Good luck.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]08/12/2009

Whether or not the hot water will destroy the wax ring, have the plumber replace it any way since he made a mistake in the first place by hooking up the wrong water line.