Watch the Scanner when Shopping

Always watch the cash register as your purchases are rung up for scanner errors. Then, if an error occurs, know what the stores policy is, many stores will give you the item free or a credit of several dollars off your total.

I routinely get credits and/or free merchandise at Albertson's, RiteAid, WalMart and KMart. You have to ask for the compensation, even insist on it and ask for a manager if necessary to get it.

By Linda L

Be sure to watch the register as the checkout person checks your items. Many times I have caught mistakes that the register made that the salesperson would never have noticed. It pays to pay attention!

By Robin

I also check the docket before I leave the store. That way you can get an instant refund if you need to. You'd be surprised at the number of mistakes you can find!!

Or store's policy is that if something rings up wrong or is priced wrong, the first one is free! How cool is that?

Debbie-Jenn

I find this to be a really big problem sometimes. The person doing the scanning is so fast and at my local WalMart that's it's nearly impossible. Here's an example: She/he scanned a item and the price doesn't show up on the screen immediately; the next item is scanned before the price of the first item showed up.

And in WalMart if you catch an error you have to go to customer service and stand in line in order to get your money back. I can't remember the last time it happened but I probably used a debit card. I wonder what the procedure would be paying cash or writing a check.

No matter where I shop I always check my receipt for errors before I walk out of the store. And too, I've never know of WalMart giving a free anything. Kroger is really good about that but where I live now we don't have a Kroger. I live in a town of nearly 300 thousand people; no Kroger, No HEB, No Safeway....I know sounds like I live in the boonies.

I really dislike shopping at Walmart because customer service is bad. They don't stick to their 20 items or less rule even when the stores are crowded. And I like having a store associate carrying my groceries to my car. So it's a trade off; cheap prices or convenience and when prices going up I have to settle for the inconvenience most of the time.