Bedding Ideas for Dog Kennels

There are many bedding options for your dog's kennel, both commercial ones and things you can make at home. This is a guide about bedding ideas for dog kennels.

Filter Sort

Question: Bedding for a Dog Kennel

By Tag 1

What would be the best kind of bedding for an outside dog kennel? I heard somewhere not to use pine straw. Are wood chips or hay good to use?

Tag27612 from Raleigh, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Mary 16 Flag

June 24, 2006Best Answer

This is something I did years ago after pricing doggie beds. I noticed that a lot of the upscale beds were zippered pillows filled with cedar chips. I checked one out and it had two pillows - a zippered one you could remove and wash and one sewn up that was filled with the chips. I needed a large one for my Golden Retriever and they wanted over a hundred dollars for it! Well, I made a large zippered case (I discovered later I could have bought one pretty cheap), then went to the gardening department of a big discount chain store and bought a bag of cedar chips for about 12 to 15 dollars. I stuffed the pillow. It worked great. Bugs don't like the smell of cedar I guess. It didn't take the whole bag of chips to fill the pillow. I discovered when I took the pillow off to wash it, "Heidi" was just as happy to sleep right on the chips. The one bag lasted over a couple of years. I kept the pillow because I didn't like combing the chips out of her. I adopt older dogs that owners get tired of and have had three dogs who love this arrangement. And I have never found bugs or other creepy, crawly things in the bedding!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

November 7, 2008Best Answer

I use a baby crib mattress with a waterproof mattress cover and baby crib sheets. This way I can change it whenever and it stays clean. Also it's better than any dog bed. Ever laid down on a dog pillow or bed. It's terrible!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Shredded Newspaper for Dog Bedding

By amy 12 11

I shred newspapers and use them for our outdoor dog as bedding. Shredded newspaper also makes a great fire-starter.

By cantmissamy from Brazil, IN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

A small dog in a kennel.
Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 8, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Sleigh Bed
Choosing Bedding for a Sleigh Bed
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Dog on Concrete
Dog Pooping and Peeing on Concrete
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 11:44:52 PM on 10.0.2.27 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings