Windowbox Gardening

I grew up on a small farm where we raised practically everything we ate. I've always liked to have some fresh produce growing somewhere. We have downsized to our retirement home and try as I might, I haven't been able to find a suitable place to plant very much of a "Victory Garden."

Yesterday as I was cleaning up around outside, I saw my window boxes which I had taken down for the winter. My frugal, farm girl mind kicked in with this idea. Instead of spending money on the annuals I usually fill them with, I'm going to plant vegetable seeds for plants which will thrive in that kind of container. I've already bought radish, lettuce, and chive seeds (three packs for $1.00!). Since I'll be able to bring them inside at night if the temperature drops, I'm going to get those started right away.

I'm also planning to plant some cucumbers in them because they will be pretty, trailing over the sides. Tomato and pepper plants can be tucked into spots between shrubbery in the back yard. I will again plant potatoes in my very large round pots. Last year I cut the eyes off some potatoes that had sprouted in my vegetable bin, planted them in a big pot and had a nice crop from something I would have just put into the garbage disposer. My grandchildren had a virtual treasure hunt digging them out.

I'm so excited about this project and can't wait to get started. I was going to wait to submit this idea after I had the boxes full and growing and could submit a photo, but I wanted it to be published in time for others to do the same if they like the idea. Why pay for and plant those annual ornamental vines when you can plant something fresh and edible?

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Sorry for the dumb question, but, I know nothing about planting. Just started doing it and read your article. Do you mean take out the sprouts from the potatoes and plant them? It's just that? It would grow from there?

And I have a question about cucumbers, could I plant them in a large hanging pot and they grow down like that? I'm also just getting into gardening (got a few containers with tomatoes and bell peppers started).

go to : and scroll down to see vertical gardens and look at those wonderful grow towers. I was so eager to try something like that I could hardly contain myself. Any number of ways to do it I believe.

Water from top I think.

You cut a sprouted potato into a few pieces so there are a couple of sprouts per piece, or use single small potatoes.

Let air dry after you've cut them overnight.

I've been growing parsley in a container in my kitchen all winter. Next winter I will keep an indoor garden of greens so that I can have a nice, fresh salad every few weeks. (I have an outside garden about 8' x 3'.

I read someplace a quote from a California lettuce producer who said "I don't care whats in it, on it, or what it tastes like, so long as the right number fit in the box and the box passes the inspector."

If that doesn't convince you to try growing at least your favorite one or two veggies, what would?

Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingMarch 26, 2009
Green Gardening Tips
Green Gardening Tips
Square Foot Gardening
The Basics of Square Foot Gardening
Window Box Garden
Window Box Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening