Repairing a Spray Bottle

Is there a simple method to get a plastic spray bottle working properly? Or, in the alternative, is there a certain type or brand name plastic spray bottle which is reliable?

In the past, I have used old spray bottles that once contained brand name cleaners; sometimes they work, usually they fail after a while. Recently I bought a brand new empty spray bottle from Walgreens. It has a spring in the trigger mechanism. However, my anticipation turned to disappointment when it stopped spraying; there is nothing visibly clogging it.

Any thoughts?

By Tracy from Kansas City, MO

I've purchased several spray bottles from Wal-Mart, only to quickly become frustrated. They don't make them like they used to! I have one that's probably 15 years old, and it still works great, but these newer ones get jammed up.

So I started buying my spray bottles from the beauty supply store (I go to Sally's). They cost more, but work MUCH better. I haven't replaced all the cheap (junk) bottles, but I'm getting there . . .

I started getting my spray bottles at Walmart in the dept. where they have ironing boards & such. It's called "Green Machine", has a green label & says it's an ironing spray bottle. It's made out of old water bottles. I've had one for nearly 3 years now & it's still going strong-cheap price too!

I would take it back to Walgreens for a new one. I've never had a problem exchanging anything there.

Today I opened a brand new bottle of Prada perfume and it wouldn't spray so I tried several things and was thinking I would just throw it away since it had been a year since I purchased it. I then thought why not try one more thing and that fixed it! I took the cap off to expose the tubing for the pump and stuck a safety pin down in the tubing. I assume any pin would work, but this did the trick. I have a functioning spray bottle now and saved throwing the expensive bottle of scent away. Love it when I win!

Yeh. Can't believe the answer was so simple. Mine was a Prada bottle too. Think there must be something wrong with their design but now it's up and functioning. Thanks.

Thanks for this! I had the exact same problem with the exact same perfume. :)

This just saved half of a bottle of Prada for me too! Same bottle!! Thank you sooooooooooo much!!!

I also have a bottle of PRADA and I tried your suggestion. It worked! You have to push the pin (I used a large safety pin) down all the way ~ I could actually hear when it 'broke through' where it was stuck. I have read this perfume bottle gets stuck quite often. Now I know how to fix it! Thanks!

Can I just say thanks to the person who posted the prada perfume. I have the exact same perfume and exactly the same problem. I was really surprised when I saw that the same perfume had the same issue. However, I tried what you did and it worked?!?!? Amazing thank you so much for posting! Otherwise I too would have never sorted it out and it would have sat there for ages not being used

Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 8, 2010
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Painted Recycled Plastic Spray Bottle
Painted Recycled Plastic Spray Bottle
Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Making a Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Spray Bottle
Repairing a Spray Bottle