Removing Permanent Marker from Hair

If your or your child accidentally or intentionally got permanent marker in your hair it can be a chore to remove. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from hair.

November 13, 2015 Flag

I have a problem. I was bored and got blue Sharpie in my hair and I can't get it out. My mom will freak out when she sees my blue hair and if I don't get it out by tonight or in the morning I will be going to school with blue hair and I will be known as Sharpie girl. Any advice or tips on how to get this out?

try Bengay from the drug store. it is for soar muscles and joints but really removed sharpie marks!

What I did was wash my hair a ton load of soap and very hot water multiple times and it eventfully came out

I would hide it. I put pink marker in my hair and I am hiding it.

You can use rubbing achole or just use shampoo and wash your hair a lot!!!!!

August 10, 2015 Flag

How do you get purple Sharpie out of your hair? I have tried alcohol already.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest getting purple highlights and pretend like you did it on purpose. Or maybe it's in a place where a haircut will remove it?

You can try a small amount of dawn dish washing soap and warm water.

December 19, 2006 Flag

My daughter created highlights in her hair with a red permanent marker, how can I remove it?

Cuscus from Winchester ON

Your child sounds most creative! To help, you can use a *stripping shampoo* (Neutrogena makes one) for when you have a build-up of residue from chlorine, hairspray, mud or old shampoo and conditioners that leave a film on your hair etc. When using this type of clean shampoo, it'll cleanse deep and brings back that natural luster and shine. I am sure this would be helpful with your *marker* issue. Good luck! :)

I put pink, purple, blue and black sharpie in my already highlighted/colored blonde hair for colored highlights. (I know I'm an idiot). So far, I used dish soap, shampoo, vinegar, "oops" hair color remover, fingernail polish remover without acetone, and alcohol. NOTHING will get it out! Any more ideas people ? Please HELP

lemon=no

strip remover=yes

peroxide=no

vinegar=No

nair polish remover=yes

I colored part of my bangs purple and it looked super cool, but like a month later its all faded out pink and it looks bad and wont go away!

August 22, 2014 Flag

I put Crayola permanent marker in my hair. How do I get it out?

By Julissa

You might have to let it grow out or color all your hair with the appropriate type of color.

No u don't. All u have to do is wash your hair a few times and it should slowly come out. Depending on what color your hairs is will determine how long it will stay. I just put pink sharpie highlights on my bleach blonde hair. It will come out within 2 washes

November 14, 2006 Flag

I have Sharpie in my hair. How do I get it out?

Alisha from Elma, WA

I think it will probably come out in a few washes if not just one. I can't imagine you have enough sharpie in your hair to be too noticeable, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've gotten sharpie in my hair before and it comes out rather easily with shampoo, but it may depend on your hair color, too.

maybe nail polish remover. test on an inconspicuous place on hair first. then wash it i would think it would come out.

I currently have sharpie in my hair.

Its red and I thought it looked cool and I noticed after one wash it was fading already so I applied more. Well its been about 1 month and it still hasnt come out.

I don't know how to get it out but I talked to my father and he said that Sharpie has acetone in it and acetone is a thinner so he said eventually my hair will fall out.

So if I were you I'd stop wither the sharpie once you get it out.

Does sharpie make your hair fall out?

Editor's Note: I don't know why it would but I suppose it is possible.

July 19, 2011 Flag

My friend said she wanted to color my black hair with a silver Sharpie. It's been in a day; I think I got one side of it out, but there is still some in. How do I remove it?

By Mercedes M.

Keep shampooing daily and it will eventually be gone. ;-)

all you need to do is wash your hair very well with alot of shampoo and the colour will quickly fade away

August 1, 2012 Flag

Can you get red Sharpie out of brown hair? It's been in for a while now, but I want it to come out now! What should I do?

By Jessika

Try saturating the colored hair with rubbing alcohol. You might have to apply more than once - it dries very quickly.

If the color comes out, you need to wash your hair afterwards.

December 19, 2006 Flag

Can someone suggest anything for removing permanent purple ink from bleach blond hair? A friend of mine who has waste length hair, picked up a marker to hold her hair up in a bun... Unbeknownced to her the cap came off and leaked a nice big extremely conspicuous blotch of ink in the middle of her hair. She tried washing it out with shampoo but it didnt have any impact on the stain.

Stephanie from Tustin, CA

Answers:

Permanent Ink In Har

Lemon juice might help. Section off that strip. and then use old cloth with hair sandwiched in between and blot like. Call a local beautician also. (10/08/2005)

By giggligoo

Permanent Ink In Hair

The only thing I know that will definitely take it out is nail polish remover. But, I don't know if this will damage her hair. (10/10/2005)

By sjackie2000

Permanent Ink In Hair

Try isopropyl alchohol 99%. I removed sharpie black permanent marker from white leather shoes with this. Good Luck. (10/30/2005)

By Lisa

Permanent Ink In Hair

Nail polish remover will work, but must be the kind WITH acetone. Good luck! (04/27/2006)

By KerBearRN

Permanent Ink In Hair

The same thing happened to me I used nail polish remover and immediately washed it out with cold water this seemed to get it out almost immediately. (11/06/2006)

By jessica

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMay 6, 2012
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎄