How to Tell When a Dog is Going into Labor

How do you know when your dog is ready to have puppies?

By Jennifer

I had a vet student help me once with my pregnant Sheltie. She took her temp close to her time to deliver one night , and told me that, since her temp had dropped, she was very close to delivery (I think she said 8-10 hours). She had the pups the next morning. I noticed that she started panting and wanted to go out a lot a few hours before she delivered.

When they get close to their time, sometimes the dog will find a dark, safe place to have the puppies. Then, they usually disappear for about a day or so to have the babies.

A lot like us; if they haven't disappeared to a dark spot as mentioned, they may spot with liquid, streaked with blood, pant, turn around a lot, appear uncomfortable, and so on. Make sure they have a soft folded old blanket or towels right at hand, and speak in soft reassuring tones. They may even get up and drink a bit of water in between deliveries. My dog delivered one on the couch, hopped down and delivered one on the floor.

Dog With Her Puppies
Caring for a Dog and Her Puppies
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 28, 2010
Portrait of a female golden retriever.
When Do Dogs Stop Going Into Heat?
Woman juicing fruits
Cleaning a Juicer
curbside trash can
Tricks to Tell When the Trash Has Been Picked Up
May Day Flowers
Celebrating May Day
🎄