Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Properly cleaning your glass shower doors will keep your shower looking nice. It can be difficult to remove the build up and streaks on them though. This is a guide about cleaning glass shower doors.

April 14, 2015 Flag

Soap scum just flakes off into a powder by removing it with a single edge razor. Very simple. After years of spending money on chemicals for my shower doors, they are now clean!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

October 2, 2009 Flag

Well water, soap, and age had left a permanent fog on the shower doors. There was also a cruddy hard substance at the bottoms of each door. Nothing would remove this cement-like crud. Nothing would remove the fog. As a last ditch effort before purchasing new doors I tried something I've not found anyone mention.

First I removed the doors to the yard and leaned them up against a wall. I sprayed them with WD40 and let em sit. An hour later I rinsed. There was a gooey fatty substance on the glass now. But the cement crud was releasing it's hold. With help of a razor blade I got it off.

Now I needed to deal with the goo on the glass. You must have gloves for this step. I laid down the door on the tailgate of my truck. I took liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent and a 000 piece of steel wool (non-soap kind). I added generous amounts of Cascade to the glass and scrubbed. The soap will turn yucky the more you scrub. I added a little water as needed. I let it sit for about 3 minutes then I rinsed and turned over the doors repeating the process. As they dried I could now see what I had missed so I repeated the process and armed with the razor blade was able to get the remaining stuck on crud on the edges off.

They look beautiful. I saved myself the cost of new doors. It probably cost me five dollars all together in product and took a couple hours of work. It was well worth the effort.

By Bluemoonq from New Mexico

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

June 22, 2004 Flag

I use Avon's skin-so-soft in a spray bottle on my glass shower doors. Spray on doors and wipe off with a paper towel, your doors will be clean and the bathroom will have that fresh scent of skin-so-soft, repeat about once a week.

By Donna

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning stubborn shower doors. Soap scum and hard water marks can make your shower doors a chore to clean.

Soap Scum covered shower doors

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning water spots on shower doors. Hard water can leave spots on your glass shower doors that are difficult and time consuming to remove.

Smiling woman cleaning a shower door

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 28, 2010 Flag

I found the best way to clean water spots from shower doors. I tried vinegar soaked on paper towels and left it on there for forty minutes. It didn't work and I now smell like vinegar. I tried Comet with a scrub pad, it didn't work.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 18, 2004 Flag

I hung a patterned shower curtain which I bought at the Dollar store, just inside the shower doors. It has a pretty design and adds privacy. Best of all, it saves me from having to remove lime build up on the doors.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 28, 2014 Flag

Spraying Rain-X on your shower doors will make the water bounce right off and will also reduce the build up of soap scum.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 6, 2011 Flag

My husband and I use a squeegee every time we use the shower, but it leaves rubber marks on the glass that are hard to get off. This is a brand new squeegee. What are we doing wrong and what is the best daily way to keep the shower door clean?

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What I do to keep my shower clean is to just wipe down the shower from the ceiling the the bottom with a towel. I never have any soap scum build up. Every couple of months I just use some glass cleaner to wipe the shower down.

I'm not sure what you may be doing to cause the marks you have. I have used a squeegee for about a year and have never had any marks. The one I use has a plastic handle and plastic blade. When I first began using a squeegee, I tried an old one I found in the garage that had a rubber blade and metal handle. After a couple of uses, I dropped it in the tub and chipped the finish. Oops!! It went back to the garage and I bought the plastic one.

To remove those marks, you might use a Magic eraser or perhaps a microfiber towel with just water. I know you do not want to make more work for yourself by having to clean off the marks. I have found the squeegee does a good job of keeping the water marks and soap scum off the shower doors. Good luck!

April 3, 2011 Flag

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for cleaning glass shower doors? I have tried about everything under the sun, but have found nothing that works without using a lot of elbow grease. Please help.

By Wilma from Jacksonville, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm having the same problem. I'm fed up that I'm about to just do it the easy way out and just replace with brand new showers doors on sale, then just make sure I do the upkeep of maintence on the new doors after every shower everyday.

Just use Goo gone, works like a charm with no harm.

August 19, 2008 Flag

What cleaning products will bring back a 20 year neglected clear glass shower enclosure with beige tile walls and floors with grout?

Diane from Gig Harbor, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got this suggestion from a lady who said she manages rental properties for a living. She suggests using oven cleaner on tubs, tiles, etc. for removing the crud that accumulates, especially soap scum. Oven cleaner is great for breaking up grease on ovens, so I guess that's why it works so well. It really does work, but if your tub or shower enclosure is made of fiberglass, oven cleaner will discolor it, so you should not use it on that. I am not sure how well it will work on a glass shower enclosure.

I use Kaboom spray & love how my shower looks after I use it! Not too much elbow grease after spraying on either! Give it a try!

September 18, 2011 Flag

Can you tell me what to use to keep, my shower door sparkly clean? Thanks.

By Brenda M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A non scratch pad available at big box stores or grocery stores, a cleaning agent and some elbow grease to clean the shower doors. After you have the doors cleaned all you have to do is wipe the doors down after every use. I use a towel to clean all the water from my shower. I start at the top and go to the floor. What this does is also to remove the soap residue. Then every couple of weeks when you clean the glass it will much easier to keep the glass shining. But, you have to get in the habit of wiping down the shower after every use.

One sure way to keep it shiny once you are successful in cleaning it to your satisfaction is to dry it down after every shower. You can keep an old towel handy for the job, or use your bath towel after you dry yourself. I use a squeegee first, then dry the glass. I actually use this method all over the shower every time. It doesn't take as much time as you would think. Your shower always sparkles doing these few steps.

October 19, 2014 Flag

I live in an apartment and the previous tenants didn't ever clean the shower doors. They are extremely stained. I have tried lemon juice, vinegar, and Lime Away, but nothing seems to work. Please help!

By Rick B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

SOS pad...

August 2, 2008 Flag

What tool do you use to clean BETWEEN glass shower doors where soap, shampoo and shaving cream get caught?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like Ed Fred for built up minterals from the water.

Baby bottle brush/nipple brush. I clean homes and have found that the old fashion baby bottle/nipple brushes work best. I spray the cleaner and bush, all that old goo is gone.

March 20, 2012 Flag

My glass shower doors are stained. I have tried all types of cleaning products, but nothing has worked so far. Can someone out there help?

By Elena

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a steel wool soap pad (SOS, Brillo, etc.)

It won't scratch the glass like you think it might and it really cuts through soap scum.

Glasstastic is the miracle product. I had 20 years of hard water stains and cement-like residue on my glass shower doors. Nothing helped. Except Glasstastic. It is a phenomenal product. My shower looks like brand new. It is a professional product that works!

June 29, 2011 Flag

How do you get glass shower doors to sparkle?

By Peggy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fly Lady has a good solution that works. Shampoo of any kind and scrub, even if you can only do a small portion at a time. When you rinse the area that has been scrubbed you will see amazing difference.

To remove heavy build-up without all the chemicals and scrubbing, I like to use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's available in many different types and can be used on all surfaces of your tub or shower to remove the build-up, I've even been able to remove rust from razors or shaving cans.

Once clean I recommend using a shower squeegee to prevent build-up, wipe the squeegee clean before each swipe as though you are cleaning your car windshield. This will prevent streaks on the glass surfaces. If you have a family that doesn't keep up with the squeegee, there are great after shower sprays for the shower and tub surfaces that keep the water from sticking to surfaces or you can make your own.

Friends of mine have heard of skin so soft by Avon (avoid the floor of the shower to prevent falling), Rain-X for your car, and of coarse always test in a small area to see how it works with your shower material and for safety. Happy Cleaning!

September 6, 2013 Flag

My shower doors are old and the glass gets grimy even when I have scrubbed it clean with ammonia. Then I tried using a dryer sheet which kept it clean for a little while, but now it is back to looking terrible. I tried Turtle wax, but again with hot water and a lot of use (5 people in the family), this does not work for long either.

By Maggie T. from Fraser, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using Bar Keepers Friend. It is located near other cleansers but there is a liquid version of this product which I use. The results are great- clear glass doors like the day they were installed!

March 2, 2011 Flag

I have frosted glass shower doors. I use Scrubbing Bubbles on the inside which works great. When I used it on the frosted side it looks like the spray is still there. Can anyone help me get this off?

By Christine from Sanford, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You're seeing the chemical residue left behind so just rinse really well after cleaning with a water only rag and wipe dry.

Best way is to keep a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in the shower and wipe it down before you get out and dry it. This keeps it from the build up. Also I found a great product called Greased Lightning very cheap and works great on everything! Walmart yellow spray bottle! I clean houses for a living and I make sure all my customers have this on hand!

August 5, 2010 Flag

What is the secret to cleaning and shinning glass doors for a shower? I clean and do not get to squeegee them after a shower. I have tried the stuff you use on car windshields, oiled them to repel the water, etc. Help.

By Terri from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use vinegar for everything else will give the vinegar heated and eraser a try and the Dawn. Thanks for the tips!

Use soft scrub! Put a little soft scrub paste on a regular dishwashing sponge and gently scrub it all over the door. Then I let it dry up and rub it off with dry paper towels. Then just use regular windex to give the glass a final shine!

June 30, 2013 Flag

I have a new shower enclosure. What can be put on it to make it clean easier? I have heard car wax and also Rain-X. Are any of these suitable?

By jean

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 3, 2011 Flag

How do I clean glass shower doors?

By Ken from San Jose, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Since it is glass, wouldn't something like glass plus work just fine? (08/04/2010)

By Dan

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer. Spray on, let it sit a minute or two and it takes off all the soap scum and hard water stains. (08/07/2010)

By IRVINETERR

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Cleaning shower doors? Try WD-40, it worked great on our shower doors.
(09/03/2010)

By 9delma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomSeptember 13, 2011
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Smiling woman cleaning a shower door
Cleaning Water Spots on Shower Doors
Soap Scum covered shower doors
Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 2:21:11 PM on 10.0.0.202 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.