Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Properly cleaning your glass shower doors will keep your shower looking nice. It can be difficult to remove the build up and streaks on them though. This is a guide about cleaning glass shower doors.

Glass shower enclosure.
Filter Sort

Question: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

By wilma 1

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for cleaning glass shower doors? I have tried about everything under the sun, but have found nothing that works without using a lot of elbow grease. Please help.

By Wilma from Jacksonville, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jacob W 1 Flag

Just use Goo gone, works like a charm with no harm.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: WD-40 and Razor Blade to Clean Shower Doors

By Jeannie 1

Well water, soap, and age had left a permanent fog on the shower doors. There was also a cruddy hard substance at the bottoms of each door. Nothing would remove this cement-like crud. Nothing would remove the fog. As a last ditch effort before purchasing new doors I tried something I've not found anyone mention.

First I removed the doors to the yard and leaned them up against a wall. I sprayed them with WD40 and let em sit. An hour later I rinsed. There was a gooey fatty substance on the glass now. But the cement crud was releasing it's hold. With help of a razor blade I got it off.

Now I needed to deal with the goo on the glass. You must have gloves for this step. I laid down the door on the tailgate of my truck. I took liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent and a 000 piece of steel wool (non-soap kind). I added generous amounts of Cascade to the glass and scrubbed. The soap will turn yucky the more you scrub. I added a little water as needed. I let it sit for about 3 minutes then I rinsed and turned over the doors repeating the process. As they dried I could now see what I had missed so I repeated the process and armed with the razor blade was able to get the remaining stuck on crud on the edges off.

They look beautiful. I saved myself the cost of new doors. It probably cost me five dollars all together in product and took a couple hours of work. It was well worth the effort.

By Bluemoonq from New Mexico

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Neglected Clear Glass Shower Enclosure

By DIANE GATES 1

What cleaning products will bring back a 20 year neglected clear glass shower enclosure with beige tile walls and floors with grout?

Diane from Gig Harbor, WA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I use Kaboom spray & love how my shower looks after I use it! Not too much elbow grease after spraying on either! Give it a try!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Razor Blade to Clean Glass Shower Doors

By frgarden 1 1

Soap scum just flakes off into a powder by removing it with a single edge razor. Very simple. After years of spending money on chemicals for my shower doors, they are now clean!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

My husband and I use a squeegee every time we use the shower, but it leaves rubber marks on the glass that are hard to get off. This is a brand new squeegee. What are we doing wrong and what is the best daily way to keep the shower door clean?

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Get a new squeegee that is specifically for showers. I have had several - none have left marks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Glass Stovetop Cleaner for Shower Doors

By SHERI 1

I found the best way to clean water spots from shower doors. I tried vinegar soaked on paper towels and left it on there for forty minutes. It didn't work and I now smell like vinegar. I tried Comet with a scrub pad, it didn't work. Then with little effort and no smell, I used glass cook top cleaner. It worked like a charm. My shower door looks brand new. Don't waste your time trying all the other stuff.

By HAPPYNOW from San Antonio, TX

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Minimize Lime Spots On Glass Shower Doors

I hung a patterned shower curtain which I bought at the Dollar store, just inside the shower doors. It has a pretty design and adds privacy. Best of all, it saves me from having to remove lime build up on the doors. I occasionally have to de-lime the bottom of doors, but hey, that's not a major chore.
    By Gladys H.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Skin-So-Soft on Shower Doors

I use Avon's skin-so-soft in a spray bottle on my glass shower doors. Spray on doors and wipe off with a paper towel, your doors will be clean and the bathroom will have that fresh scent of skin-so-soft, repeat about once a week.

By Donna

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Between Glass Shower Doors

By Gayle 1

What tool do you use to clean BETWEEN glass shower doors where soap, shampoo and shaving cream get caught?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DEBY 18 145 Flag

Use CLR and use a drinking glass cleaner for your kitchen. The kind with the plastic handle and soft sponge head. This fits nicely between the doors and the CLR works magic

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning a Glass Shower Door

By Brenda 3

Can you tell me what to use to keep, my shower door sparkly clean? Thanks.

By Brenda M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By hopeful 27 135 Flag

One sure way to keep it shiny once you are successful in cleaning it to your satisfaction is to dry it down after every shower. You can keep an old towel handy for the job, or use your bath towel after you dry yourself. I use a squeegee first, then dry the glass. I actually use this method all over the shower every time. It doesn't take as much time as you would think. Your shower always sparkles doing these few steps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Stained Shower Doors

By elena 1

My glass shower doors are stained. I have tried all types of cleaning products, but nothing has worked so far. Can someone out there help?

By Elena

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By LisaFaye 1 Flag

Glasstastic is the miracle product. I had 20 years of hard water stains and cement-like residue on my glass shower doors. Nothing helped. Except Glasstastic. It is a phenomenal product. My shower looks like brand new. It is a professional product that works!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

How do you get glass shower doors to sparkle?

By Peggy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tajaburns 2 Flag

To remove heavy build-up without all the chemicals and scrubbing, I like to use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's available in many different types and can be used on all surfaces of your tub or shower to remove the build-up, I've even been able to remove rust from razors or shaving cans.

Once clean I recommend using a shower squeegee to prevent build-up, wipe the squeegee clean before each swipe as though you are cleaning your car windshield. This will prevent streaks on the glass surfaces. If you have a family that doesn't keep up with the squeegee, there are great after shower sprays for the shower and tub surfaces that keep the water from sticking to surfaces or you can make your own.

Friends of mine have heard of skin so soft by Avon (avoid the floor of the shower to prevent falling), Rain-X for your car, and of coarse always test in a small area to see how it works with your shower material and for safety. Happy Cleaning!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Frosted Shower Doors

By christine 1 1

I have frosted glass shower doors. I use Scrubbing Bubbles on the inside which works great. When I used it on the frosted side it looks like the spray is still there. Can anyone help me get this off?

By Christine from Sanford, ME

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Michele 1 Flag

Best way is to keep a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in the shower and wipe it down before you get out and dry it. This keeps it from the build up. Also I found a great product called Greased Lightning very cheap and works great on everything! Walmart yellow spray bottle! I clean houses for a living and I make sure all my customers have this on hand!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: The Best Cleaner for Shower Doors

By Terri Simmons 2 2

What is the secret to cleaning and shinning glass doors for a shower? I clean and do not get to squeegee them after a shower. I have tried the stuff you use on car windshields, oiled them to repel the water, etc. Help.

By Terri from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kadi Dulude 3 3 Flag

Use soft scrub! Put a little soft scrub paste on a regular dishwashing sponge and gently scrub it all over the door. Then I let it dry up and rub it off with dry paper towels. Then just use regular windex to give the glass a final shine!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Rain-X for Clean Shower Doors

By Janette 91 153

Spraying Rain-X on your shower doors will make the water bounce right off and will also reduce the build up of soap scum.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

By Maggie T. 3

My shower doors are old and the glass gets grimy even when I have scrubbed it clean with ammonia. Then I tried using a dryer sheet which kept it clean for a little while, but now it is back to looking terrible. I tried Turtle wax, but again with hot water and a lot of use (5 people in the family), this does not work for long either.

By Maggie T. from Fraser, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ccschultz 1 Flag

Try using Bar Keepers Friend. It is located near other cleansers but there is a liquid version of this product which I use. The results are great- clear glass doors like the day they were installed!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Hard Water Stains in the Shower

How do you get hard water stains off the shower and keep the stains from sticking in the future?

By Julie C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Hard water stains should be removable with vinegar; if that isn't strong enough, go for CLR or some other acidic product. I find that the best method for prevention of hard water build up, is to squeegee or swab with a towel after every shower. I have heard of people using car polish on the shower walls to prevent water stain build up. It might be worth a try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaing Shower Doors

I live in an apartment and the previous tenants didn't ever clean the shower doors. They are extremely stained. I have tried lemon juice, vinegar, and Lime Away, but nothing seems to work. Please help!

By Rick B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Putting Protectant on Shower Stalls

I have a new shower enclosure. What can be put on it to make it clean easier? I have heard car wax and also Rain-X. Are any of these suitable?

By jean

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Request:

Does anyone have a tip on cleaning glass shower doors?

Louise,
      Florida

Answers:

Cleaning Lime Deposits and Soap Scum off Shower Doors

We bought a used home and the shower doors were caked with lime and soap scum. We couldn't afford to replace them right away and Lime Away didn't get all the scum off. I borrowed my husbands razor scraper from the garage and ran it over the scale and it all came off. Make sure to use new razor blades or you'll scratch the glass. They look like new.

By Sharon from Bonita Springs, FL

Meguiar's Wax Cleaner and Meguiar's Wax

Thankfully, when my shower was installed I was told to use Meguiar's Wax Cleaner and Meguiar's Wax to keep the shower glass doors looking good. It has kept everything beautiful since then. It is for automobiles so you will find it in the automotive department at most discount stores. It makes cleaning a lot more fun.

Post by M

Lemon Oil

My grandmother always cleaned her glass doors with lemon oil. It really cleans the soap residue. Put a little on a cleaning cloth and wipe the doors. Do not get any in the bottom of the tub (it will be too slippery!).

Post by Betty Lynn

Squeegee

Buy a window squeegee and after each shower squeegee off the tile and shower doors. They will always be clean this way.

Post by Suzie

Tilex Soapscum Remover

If you have a lot of water marks or soap scum on the glass, spray Tilex soap scum remover and take a wet brillo pad and scrub the entire door, rinse well and dry with clean cloth. Works every time! MUST BE GLASS or it may scratch doors. Test in a hidden area.

Post by Melissa.

Baby Oil

After you clean the door, rub baby oil over it and it keeps the build up down for about 3 months.

Post by mrs533fd

Archive: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Use a little lemon juice on a sponge to clean off the residue on the shower glass doors and rinse. It will leave them sparkling clean removing any scum.

By Mary Ann Kieffer from Lawrence, KS

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Those plastic credit cards you receive in the mail with offers are great to use instead of razor blades. You won't have to worry about scratches and you can save your fingers too. I've used these many times to scrape the doors. I've also used them on the kitchen and bathroom floors, and counters, to clean up anything that doesn't come up easily. No matter what type of cleaner you use, they sure save on elbow grease. They're disposable and you'll certainly get more in the mail to replace the ones you've had to discard. (03/16/2006)

By Lady Claire

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

If you decide to use a razor type scraper, be sure to use liquid cleaner or water to the surface to act as a lubricant so you dont scratch the surface. I use a white (non scratching) scubber sponge and glass cleaner. (03/17/2006)

By Carol

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

This is definitely a last resort method! I bought a house with hard water spots that were so bad nothing worked. I tried every hint here except scraping. I stood in the fumes with "Powerhouse" cleaner and CLR. I tried vinegar, borax, water softener, soft scrub, you name it.

After figuring they were just not coming clean anyway I decided to use a pumice stone. They can be found at almost any supermarket. It worked instantly! Be very careful with this method. It will take some time and keep it wet. There are also some very hard veins in the stone that WILL scratch the glass. So far though I have been able to avoid that. If all else fails try this. It beats standing there with chemicals dripping down your arms and it's a very cheap solution. This also works in the toilet too, but be very careful not to scratch the surface. It made them sparkle like new. Not the best way to spend the day, but it beats buying new toilets and glass.

I haven't tried it yet, I was reading another posting, but the brillo and Tilex sounds like it would also work well and won't scratch the glass. Definitely try that first. If they are too stubborn for even that, then try the pumice.
      (03/31/2006)

By Crazy with Hard Water

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

As crazy as this may sound, try using furniture polish! It works. Spray it heavy on the rag not on the glass, work the rag in a circular motion (pressing) then use a dry rag to shine it up, try it you will be amazed. It also works on ceramic tile around sinks, tubs etc. the soap scum slides off. (03/31/2006)

By Ariela

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Ok, Here is the latest on my shower door dilema. The pumice works, but was born out of desperation. I have since tried a brand new razor blade and that sort of worked, but not that well. Went out and got Brillo and Tilex. This is by far the best! Anyone with absolute nightmare hard water spots on their shower doors, take comfort that there is a solution. Thanks for the great suggestion. WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!! I'm so happy. I'll be using it from now on. YEAH (-: (03/31/2006)

By Crazy with Hard Water

Archive: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Tips for cleaning glass shower doors.

For those of you looking for an easy way to remove water marks and soap scum from your bathroom glass doors: use ERASER (white and blue) sponge. Wet the surface area and then scrub (not too hard), then go over with Windex.

By Delta from Mchenry IL

Read more ideas below.

Feedback:

RE: Pressure Washer

If you have a pressure washer and the doors are easy to take off, you can try the pressure washer to clean the glass and the framing around the glass doors. I have done this with my sliding shower doors. Once you get them clean, you can put a coat of automotive car WAX, not polish, on the surface. It's another idea to tinker with. (12/29/2006)

By tryanything

RE: Lemon Oil

I have always used lemon oil. I have my own cleaning business and this works great and they look like new.
      (11/07/2007)

By

RE: Rain X

Once you have the glass really clean apply Rain X. Its the same stuff people use on their windshields. It works for me. (11/07/2007)

By Jub

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

All of these suggestions sound great! I have a sliding glass shower door and there are white streaks all over it; it almost looks like soap scum residue. I don't think it's soap scum, though, because I have tried and tried to scrub it off, but it never comes off! I have tried CLR, Clorox, Lime-Away, and Tilex. None of them work!

I'm going to try the vinegar and lemon methods. The lemon juice is just simple, normal, fruity lemons, right? Where would you get the lemon oil?
      (11/25/2007)

By Nancy

RE: Lemon and Eraser Sponge

I tried the lemon and cleaning sponge and the Eraser. I found the best results was when I combined the 2 methods. The doors are now spotless and after much effort with glass cleaning products I have to strongly recommend the eraser and lemon methods. (02/01/2008)

By Troy

RE: Lemon and Brillo Pad

Cut a lemon in half then cut the skin back a little so that it wont touch the glass. remove any seeds that you can see so they wont scratch the glass. Rub the lemon on the glass until the area is covered with the juice then buff the juice with a Brillo pad. Rinse with water and dry with a clean cloth. (03/10/2008)

By john

RE: Rubbing Alcohol

I have been using rubbing alcohol and it works like a charm, just afraid it may harm the glass in the long run. Does anyone know if this is a bad idea, sure is inexpensive and works well. (04/22/2008)

By B Shell

RE: GOOP Hand Cleaner

Try using the product called GOOP Hand Cleaner. It works better than all the other items mentioned. Use with a sponge and rinse with water. Works like magic! (07/22/2008)

By L. G.

RE: Tekon Products

I use Tekon Products on my glass shower doors and they work real good. It keeps them clean for months at a time. (10/21/2008)

By Jack

RE: Lemon and Magic Sponge

I tried the lemon and it worked great. I cut a lemon in half, rubbed the lemon directly on the glass and wiped with a magic sponge. I rinsed and only had a few spots to give extra elbow work to. I finished up by using Windex. Now I think I will try the RainX/ (08/06/2009)

By jsalehi

Archive: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

I have been trying for years to find a product or something to clean glass shower doors. Anybody got any ideas?

Debbie

By dayrt from Mechanicville, NY

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

There's product from Amway call Bathroom Cleaner Plus. The bottle has a big blue plus sign on it. It is a little pricey, but you only need a little. Works really well. Just squeeze a little on the doors and spread with a sponge and let sit for a couple minutes. The glass will shine. (09/17/2009)

By PICO

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

A simple paste made with baking soda and water and a little elbow grease with a scrubby. Inexpensive and green, too. (09/17/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Cheapest, easiest thing I've ever found: once a month or so when I'm detail cleaning in that bathroom, use the finest grade of steel wool. Using only about 1/4 of the steel wool pad, wet the pad and the shower door, give it a brisk rubdown using light pressure, then rinse. They are perfect and sparkling. I've used this to clean old doors with lots of buildup, and to keep our brand new doors looking new. Cheap. No chemicals. Very little muscle. Very little time. Great results with never a scratch, even on the chrome faucets and door track. (09/18/2009)

By cjirby

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

What worked for me is cheap shampoo. After you are done taking a shower leave water on and squeeze the shampoo onto your hand or directly to the door and rub in a circular motion, then rinse. You might have to do this a couple times to get it all. I always do it once to three times a week. (09/18/2009)

By frugal parent

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Wet a couple cheap dryer sheets, add a little baking soda, and scrub. I clean my whole shower this way. It's the fastest, easiest, cheapest, and most effective shower glass door cleaner ever. My shower doors sparkle. (10/19/2009)

By animalfaire

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

I tried using my random orbital waxer with a clean bonnet. I sprayed the door with CLR (or KaBoom), and after only 30 seconds the door was perfectly clear. Even if you didn't use a clean bonnet, any waxy residue can be buffed off with a towel. (01/02/2010)

By PCMHallowell

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try using fabric softener sheets. Just wet and use as you would use a rag to clean. Works great on shower doors. (01/02/2010)

By shellbeestreasures

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Most definitely use CLR, it is fantastic for that purpose, then to keep your shower doors clean and scum free for a long time. Apply Turtle Car wax to doors buffing and leaving wax on until it dries. Then buff off as you would a car's finish. Water and soap scum roll right off and this lasts quite awhile, also it helps to rinse of doors lightly after each shower. (01/12/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

Archive: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

How do I clean a glass shower door?

By Angela

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try white vinegar, a nonstick nylon pan scrubber and a lot of gentle rubbing. Once you have it clean again squeegee it dry each time you use it to help prevent build up.
      (01/28/2010)

By mrs christmas

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

I just cleaned mine with liquid toilet bowl cleaner. Just squeezed it on, let it drip down and used my broom to "spread" it around. Then I just hosed it off. It worked wonders even on the stained tub! (01/31/2010)

By HalfWhit

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try WD-40. Spray on, let sit for awhile, then remove. Easy! When cleaned, spray on again, wipe excess off. Now you have a nice barrier. (02/01/2010)

By simplify

Archive: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

How do I clean glass shower doors?

By Ken from San Jose, CA

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Since it is glass, wouldn't something like glass plus work just fine? (08/04/2010)

By Dan

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer. Spray on, let it sit a minute or two and it takes off all the soap scum and hard water stains. (08/07/2010)

By IRVINETERR

RE: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Cleaning shower doors? Try WD-40, it worked great on our shower doors.
      (09/03/2010)

By 9delma

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomSeptember 13, 2011
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Star shaped glass candle holder.
      Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
      Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
      Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
      Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
      Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
      Shower Enclosure
      Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:41:19 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings