Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Properly cleaning your glass shower doors will keep your shower looking nice. It can be difficult to remove the build up and streaks on them though. This is a guide about cleaning glass shower doors.

Glass shower enclosure.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 14, 2015 Flag

Soap scum just flakes off into a powder by removing it with a single edge razor. Very simple. After years of spending money on chemicals for my shower doors, they are now clean!

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 2, 2009 Flag

Well water, soap, and age had left a permanent fog on the shower doors. There was also a cruddy hard substance at the bottoms of each door. Nothing would remove this cement-like crud. Nothing would remove the fog. As a last ditch effort before purchasing new doors I tried something I've not found anyone mention.

First I removed the doors to the yard and leaned them up against a wall. I sprayed them with WD40 and let em sit. An hour later I rinsed. There was a gooey fatty substance on the glass now. But the cement crud was releasing it's hold. With help of a razor blade I got it off.

Now I needed to deal with the goo on the glass. You must have gloves for this step. I laid down the door on the tailgate of my truck. I took liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent and a 000 piece of steel wool (non-soap kind). I added generous amounts of Cascade to the glass and scrubbed. The soap will turn yucky the more you scrub. I added a little water as needed. I let it sit for about 3 minutes then I rinsed and turned over the doors repeating the process. As they dried I could now see what I had missed so I repeated the process and armed with the razor blade was able to get the remaining stuck on crud on the edges off.

They look beautiful. I saved myself the cost of new doors. It probably cost me five dollars all together in product and took a couple hours of work. It was well worth the effort.

By Bluemoonq from New Mexico

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning stubborn shower doors. Soap scum and hard water marks can make your shower doors a chore to clean.

Soap Scum covered shower doors

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning water spots on shower doors. Hard water can leave spots on your glass shower doors that are difficult and time consuming to remove.

Smiling woman cleaning a shower door

September 6, 2011 Flag

My husband and I use a squeegee every time we use the shower, but it leaves rubber marks on the glass that are hard to get off. This is a brand new squeegee. What are we doing wrong and what is the best daily way to keep the shower door clean?

By Debbie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get a new squeegee that is specifically for showers. I have had several - none have left marks.

Read More Answers...

April 3, 2011 Flag

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for cleaning glass shower doors? I have tried about everything under the sun, but have found nothing that works without using a lot of elbow grease. Please help.

By Wilma from Jacksonville, NC

Just use Goo gone, works like a charm with no harm.

Read More Answers...

August 19, 2008 Flag

What cleaning products will bring back a 20 year neglected clear glass shower enclosure with beige tile walls and floors with grout?

Diane from Gig Harbor, WA

I use Kaboom spray & love how my shower looks after I use it! Not too much elbow grease after spraying on either! Give it a try!

Read More Answers...

June 22, 2004 Flag

I use Avon's skin-so-soft in a spray bottle on my glass shower doors. Spray on doors and wipe off with a paper towel, your doors will be clean and the bathroom will have that fresh scent of skin-so-soft, repeat about once a week.

By Donna

September 18, 2011 Flag

Can you tell me what to use to keep, my shower door sparkly clean? Thanks.

By Brenda M.

One sure way to keep it shiny once you are successful in cleaning it to your satisfaction is to dry it down after every shower. You can keep an old towel handy for the job, or use your bath towel after you dry yourself. I use a squeegee first, then dry the glass. I actually use this method all over the shower every time. It doesn't take as much time as you would think. Your shower always sparkles doing these few steps.

Read More Answers...

March 20, 2012 Flag

My glass shower doors are stained. I have tried all types of cleaning products, but nothing has worked so far. Can someone out there help?

By Elena

Glasstastic is the miracle product. I had 20 years of hard water stains and cement-like residue on my glass shower doors. Nothing helped. Except Glasstastic. It is a phenomenal product. My shower looks like brand new. It is a professional product that works!

Read More Answers...

August 2, 2008 Flag

What tool do you use to clean BETWEEN glass shower doors where soap, shampoo and shaving cream get caught?

Use CLR and use a drinking glass cleaner for your kitchen. The kind with the plastic handle and soft sponge head. This fits nicely between the doors and the CLR works magic

Read More Answers...

September 6, 2013 Flag

My shower doors are old and the glass gets grimy even when I have scrubbed it clean with ammonia. Then I tried using a dryer sheet which kept it clean for a little while, but now it is back to looking terrible. I tried Turtle wax, but again with hot water and a lot of use (5 people in the family), this does not work for long either.

By Maggie T. from Fraser, MI

Try using Bar Keepers Friend. It is located near other cleansers but there is a liquid version of this product which I use. The results are great- clear glass doors like the day they were installed!

July 28, 2010 Flag

I found the best way to clean water spots from shower doors. I tried vinegar soaked on paper towels and left it on there for forty minutes. It didn't work and I now smell like vinegar. I tried Comet with a scrub pad, it didn't work. Then with little effort and no smell, I used glass cook top cleaner. It worked like a charm. My shower door looks brand new. Don't waste your time trying all the other stuff.

By HAPPYNOW from San Antonio, TX

June 29, 2011 Flag

How do you get glass shower doors to sparkle?

By Peggy

To remove heavy build-up without all the chemicals and scrubbing, I like to use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's available in many different types and can be used on all surfaces of your tub or shower to remove the build-up, I've even been able to remove rust from razors or shaving cans.

Once clean I recommend using a shower squeegee to prevent build-up, wipe the squeegee clean before each swipe as though you are cleaning your car windshield. This will prevent streaks on the glass surfaces. If you have a family that doesn't keep up with the squeegee, there are great after shower sprays for the shower and tub surfaces that keep the water from sticking to surfaces or you can make your own.

Friends of mine have heard of skin so soft by Avon (avoid the floor of the shower to prevent falling), Rain-X for your car, and of coarse always test in a small area to see how it works with your shower material and for safety. Happy Cleaning!

Read More Answers...

May 28, 2014 Flag

Spraying Rain-X on your shower doors will make the water bounce right off and will also reduce the build up of soap scum.

November 18, 2004 Flag

I hung a patterned shower curtain which I bought at the Dollar store, just inside the shower doors. It has a pretty design and adds privacy. Best of all, it saves me from having to remove lime build up on the doors.

March 2, 2011 Flag

I have frosted glass shower doors. I use Scrubbing Bubbles on the inside which works great. When I used it on the frosted side it looks like the spray is still there. Can anyone help me get this off?

By Christine from Sanford, ME

Best way is to keep a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in the shower and wipe it down before you get out and dry it. This keeps it from the build up. Also I found a great product called Greased Lightning very cheap and works great on everything! Walmart yellow spray bottle! I clean houses for a living and I make sure all my customers have this on hand!

Read More Answers...

August 5, 2010 Flag

What is the secret to cleaning and shinning glass doors for a shower? I clean and do not get to squeegee them after a shower. I have tried the stuff you use on car windshields, oiled them to repel the water, etc. Help.

By Terri from Dallas, TX

Use soft scrub! Put a little soft scrub paste on a regular dishwashing sponge and gently scrub it all over the door. Then I let it dry up and rub it off with dry paper towels. Then just use regular windex to give the glass a final shine!

Read More Answers...

July 31, 2011 Flag

How do you get hard water stains off the shower and keep the stains from sticking in the future?

By Julie C.

Hard water stains should be removable with vinegar; if that isn't strong enough, go for CLR or some other acidic product. I find that the best method for prevention of hard water build up, is to squeegee or swab with a towel after every shower. I have heard of people using car polish on the shower walls to prevent water stain build up. It might be worth a try.

April 3, 2011 Flag

How do I clean glass shower doors?

By Ken from San Jose, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Since it is glass, wouldn't something like glass plus work just fine? (08/04/2010)

By Dan

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer. Spray on, let it sit a minute or two and it takes off all the soap scum and hard water stains. (08/07/2010)

By IRVINETERR

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Cleaning shower doors? Try WD-40, it worked great on our shower doors.
    (09/03/2010)

By 9delma

August 3, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a glass shower door?

By Angela

Answers:

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try white vinegar, a nonstick nylon pan scrubber and a lot of gentle rubbing. Once you have it clean again squeegee it dry each time you use it to help prevent build up.
    (01/28/2010)

By mrs christmas

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

I just cleaned mine with liquid toilet bowl cleaner. Just squeezed it on, let it drip down and used my broom to "spread" it around. Then I just hosed it off. It worked wonders even on the stained tub! (01/31/2010)

By HalfWhit

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try WD-40. Spray on, let sit for awhile, then remove. Easy! When cleaned, spray on again, wipe excess off. Now you have a nice barrier. (02/01/2010)

By simplify

Load More
    Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomSeptember 13, 2011
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
    Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
    Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
    Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
    Shower Enclosure
    Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:07:18 PM on 10.0.2.203 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.