Browsing: Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Properly cleaning your glass shower doors will keep your shower looking nice. It can be difficult to remove the build up and streaks on them though. This is a guide about cleaning glass shower doors.

Glass shower enclosure.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 14, 2015 Flag

Soap scum just flakes off into a powder by removing it with a single edge razor. Very simple. After years of spending money on chemicals for my shower doors, they are now clean!

October 2, 2009 Flag

Well water, soap, and age had left a permanent fog on the shower doors. There was also a cruddy hard substance at the bottoms of each door. Nothing would remove this cement-like crud. Nothing would remove the fog. As a last ditch effort before purchasing new doors I tried something I've not found anyone mention.

First I removed the doors to the yard and leaned them up against a wall. I sprayed them with WD40 and let em sit. An hour later I rinsed. There was a gooey fatty substance on the glass now. But the cement crud was releasing it's hold. With help of a razor blade I got it off.

Now I needed to deal with the goo on the glass. You must have gloves for this step. I laid down the door on the tailgate of my truck. I took liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent and a 000 piece of steel wool (non-soap kind). I added generous amounts of Cascade to the glass and scrubbed. The soap will turn yucky the more you scrub. I added a little water as needed. I let it sit for about 3 minutes then I rinsed and turned over the doors repeating the process. As they dried I could now see what I had missed so I repeated the process and armed with the razor blade was able to get the remaining stuck on crud on the edges off.

They look beautiful. I saved myself the cost of new doors. It probably cost me five dollars all together in product and took a couple hours of work. It was well worth the effort.

By Bluemoonq from New Mexico

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning stubborn shower doors. Soap scum and hard water marks can make your shower doors a chore to clean.

Soap Scum covered shower doors

May 3, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning water spots on shower doors. Hard water can leave spots on your glass shower doors that are difficult and time consuming to remove.

Smiling woman cleaning a shower door

June 22, 2004 Flag

I use Avon's skin-so-soft in a spray bottle on my glass shower doors. Spray on doors and wipe off with a paper towel, your doors will be clean and the bathroom will have that fresh scent of skin-so-soft, repeat about once a week. By Donna

July 28, 2010 Flag

I found the best way to clean water spots from shower doors. I tried vinegar soaked on paper towels and left it on there for forty minutes. It didn't work and I now smell like vinegar. I tried Comet with a scrub pad, it didn't work.

November 18, 2004 Flag

I hung a patterned shower curtain which I bought at the Dollar store, just inside the shower doors. It has a pretty design and adds privacy. Best of all, it saves me from having to remove lime build up on the doors.

September 6, 2011 Flag

My husband and I use a squeegee every time we use the shower, but it leaves rubber marks on the glass that are hard to get off. This is a brand new squeegee. What are we doing wrong and what is the best daily way to keep the shower door clean?

By Debbie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm not sure what you may be doing to cause the marks you have. I have used a squeegee for about a year and have never had any marks. The one I use has a plastic handle and plastic blade. When I first began using a squeegee, I tried an old one I found in the garage that had a rubber blade and metal handle. After a couple of uses, I dropped it in the tub and chipped the finish. Oops!! It went back to the garage and I bought the plastic one.

To remove those marks, you might use a Magic eraser or perhaps a microfiber towel with just water. I know you do not want to make more work for yourself by having to clean off the marks. I have found the squeegee does a good job of keeping the water marks and soap scum off the shower doors. Good luck!

Get a new squeegee that is specifically for showers. I have had several - none have left marks.

April 3, 2011 Flag

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for cleaning glass shower doors? I have tried about everything under the sun, but have found nothing that works without using a lot of elbow grease. Please help.

By Wilma from Jacksonville, NC

Just use Goo gone, works like a charm with no harm.

baking soda

May 28, 2014 Flag

Spraying Rain-X on your shower doors will make the water bounce right off and will also reduce the build up of soap scum.

August 19, 2008 Flag

What cleaning products will bring back a 20 year neglected clear glass shower enclosure with beige tile walls and floors with grout?

Diane from Gig Harbor, WA

I use Kaboom spray & love how my shower looks after I use it! Not too much elbow grease after spraying on either! Give it a try!

We saw a demonstration on You Tube about using Purple Power Citrus Cleaner from Walmart. It's an auto/shop degreaser, but it has a pleasant odor. Just wear rubber gloves. Don't get any of this on shower/tub floor, because it will be slippery, unless you clean it up/rinse well.

September 18, 2011 Flag

Can you tell me what to use to keep, my shower door sparkly clean? Thanks.

By Brenda M.

One sure way to keep it shiny once you are successful in cleaning it to your satisfaction is to dry it down after every shower. You can keep an old towel handy for the job, or use your bath towel after you dry yourself. I use a squeegee first, then dry the glass. I actually use this method all over the shower every time. It doesn't take as much time as you would think. Your shower always sparkles doing these few steps.

Absolutely!! That is what I do. Just having trouble cleaning the overlap between glass doors.

October 19, 2014 Flag

I live in an apartment and the previous tenants didn't ever clean the shower doors. They are extremely stained. I have tried lemon juice, vinegar, and Lime Away, but nothing seems to work.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomSeptember 13, 2011
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:30:01 AM on 10.0.1.17 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.