Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Properly cleaning your glass shower doors will keep your shower looking nice. It can be difficult to remove the build up and streaks on them though. This is a guide about cleaning glass shower doors.

April 14, 2015 Flag

Soap scum just flakes off into a powder by removing it with a single edge razor. Very simple. After years of spending money on chemicals for my shower doors, they are now clean!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can buy a tool that a razor blade fits into. It's used for cleaning paint off windows, etc. It would work great for cleaning the shower door.

Shower Doors

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

The texture of dryer sheets is helpful in cleaning shower doors; used ones work as well as new. This is a guide about use dryer sheets to clean shower doors.

October 2, 2009 Flag

Well water, soap, and age had left a permanent fog on the shower doors. There was also a cruddy hard substance at the bottoms of each door. Nothing would remove this cement-like crud. Nothing would remove the fog. As a last ditch effort before purchasing new doors I tried something I've not found anyone mention.

First I removed the doors to the yard and leaned them up against a wall. I sprayed them with WD40 and let em sit. An hour later I rinsed. There was a gooey fatty substance on the glass now. But the cement crud was releasing it's hold. With help of a razor blade I got it off.

Now I needed to deal with the goo on the glass. You must have gloves for this step. I laid down the door on the tailgate of my truck. I took liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent and a 000 piece of steel wool (non-soap kind). I added generous amounts of Cascade to the glass and scrubbed. The soap will turn yucky the more you scrub. I added a little water as needed. I let it sit for about 3 minutes then I rinsed and turned over the doors repeating the process. As they dried I could now see what I had missed so I repeated the process and armed with the razor blade was able to get the remaining stuck on crud on the edges off.

They look beautiful. I saved myself the cost of new doors. It probably cost me five dollars all together in product and took a couple hours of work. It was well worth the effort.

By Bluemoonq from New Mexico

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I shaved the built up soap scum off my shower stalls by inserting a rasor blade in one of the devices that holds a straight edge rasor blade. My family no longer uses bar soap when bathing/showering; liquid soap does not form a scum like the bars. I posted this trick a few weeks ago when someone asked how to get off the crud.

I found the best way to clean water spots from shower doors. I tried vinegar soaked on paper towels and left it on there for forty minutes. It didn't work and I now smell like vinegar. I tried Comet with a scrub pad, it didn't work.

I use Avon's skin-so-soft in a spray bottle on my glass shower doors. Spray on doors and wipe off with a paper towel, your doors will be clean and the bathroom will have that fresh scent of skin-so-soft, repeat about once a week. By Donna

Soap Scum covered shower doors

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning stubborn shower doors. Soap scum and hard water marks can make your shower doors a chore to clean.

Smiling woman cleaning a shower door

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning water spots on shower doors. Hard water can leave spots on your glass shower doors that are difficult and time consuming to remove.

Spraying Rain-X on your shower doors will make the water bounce right off and will also reduce the build up of soap scum.

I hung a patterned shower curtain which I bought at the Dollar store, just inside the shower doors. It has a pretty design and adds privacy. Best of all, it saves me from having to remove lime build up on the doors.

September 6, 2011 Flag

My husband and I use a squeegee every time we use the shower, but it leaves rubber marks on the glass that are hard to get off. This is a brand new squeegee. What are we doing wrong and what is the best daily way to keep the shower door clean?

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm not sure what you may be doing to cause the marks you have. I have used a squeegee for about a year and have never had any marks. The one I use has a plastic handle and plastic blade. When I first began using a squeegee, I tried an old one I found in the garage that had a rubber blade and metal handle. After a couple of uses, I dropped it in the tub and chipped the finish. Oops!! It went back to the garage and I bought the plastic one.

To remove those marks, you might use a Magic eraser or perhaps a microfiber towel with just water. I know you do not want to make more work for yourself by having to clean off the marks. I have found the squeegee does a good job of keeping the water marks and soap scum off the shower doors. Good luck!

April 3, 2011 Flag

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for cleaning glass shower doors? I have tried about everything under the sun, but have found nothing that works without using a lot of elbow grease. Please help.

By Wilma from Jacksonville, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just use Goo gone, works like a charm with no harm.

August 19, 2008 Flag

What cleaning products will bring back a 20 year neglected clear glass shower enclosure with beige tile walls and floors with grout?

Diane from Gig Harbor, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Kaboom spray & love how my shower looks after I use it! Not too much elbow grease after spraying on either! Give it a try!

Can you tell me what to use to keep, my shower door sparkly clean? Thanks.

By Brenda M.

One sure way to keep it shiny once you are successful in cleaning it to your satisfaction is to dry it down after every shower. You can keep an old towel handy for the job, or use your bath towel after you dry yourself. I use a squeegee first, then dry the glass. I actually use this method all over the shower every time. It doesn't take as much time as you would think. Your shower always sparkles doing these few steps.

October 19, 2014 Flag

I live in an apartment and the previous tenants didn't ever clean the shower doors. They are extremely stained. I have tried lemon juice, vinegar, and Lime Away, but nothing seems to work. Please help!

By Rick B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

SOS pad...

March 20, 2012 Flag

My glass shower doors are stained. I have tried all types of cleaning products, but nothing has worked so far. Can someone out there help?

By Elena

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a steel wool soap pad (SOS, Brillo, etc.)

It won't scratch the glass like you think it might and it really cuts through soap scum.

August 2, 2008 Flag

What tool do you use to clean BETWEEN glass shower doors where soap, shampoo and shaving cream get caught?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Baby bottle brush/nipple brush. I clean homes and have found that the old fashion baby bottle/nipple brushes work best. I spray the cleaner and bush, all that old goo is gone.

September 6, 2013 Flag

My shower doors are old and the glass gets grimy even when I have scrubbed it clean with ammonia. Then I tried using a dryer sheet which kept it clean for a little while, but now it is back to looking terrible. I tried Turtle wax, but again with hot water and a lot of use (5 people in the family), this does not work for long either.

By Maggie T. from Fraser, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using Bar Keepers Friend. It is located near other cleansers but there is a liquid version of this product which I use. The results are great- clear glass doors like the day they were installed!

June 29, 2011 Flag

How do you get glass shower doors to sparkle?

By Peggy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fly Lady has a good solution that works. Shampoo of any kind and scrub, even if you can only do a small portion at a time. When you rinse the area that has been scrubbed you will see amazing difference.

March 2, 2011 Flag

I have frosted glass shower doors. I use Scrubbing Bubbles on the inside which works great. When I used it on the frosted side it looks like the spray is still there. Can anyone help me get this off?

By Christine from Sanford, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You're seeing the chemical residue left behind so just rinse really well after cleaning with a water only rag and wipe dry.

What is the secret to cleaning and shinning glass doors for a shower? I clean and do not get to squeegee them after a shower. I have tried the stuff you use on car windshields, oiled them to repel the water, etc. Help.

By Terri from Dallas, TX

Use vinegar for everything else will give the vinegar heated and eraser a try and the Dawn. Thanks for the tips!

June 30, 2013 Flag

I have a new shower enclosure. What can be put on it to make it clean easier? I have heard car wax and also Rain-X. Are any of these suitable?

By jean

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 3, 2011 Flag

How do I clean glass shower doors?

By Ken from San Jose, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Since it is glass, wouldn't something like glass plus work just fine? (08/04/2010)

By Dan

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer. Spray on, let it sit a minute or two and it takes off all the soap scum and hard water stains. (08/07/2010)

By IRVINETERR

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Cleaning shower doors? Try WD-40, it worked great on our shower doors.
(09/03/2010)

By 9delma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a glass shower door?

By Angela

Answers:

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try white vinegar, a nonstick nylon pan scrubber and a lot of gentle rubbing. Once you have it clean again squeegee it dry each time you use it to help prevent build up.
(01/28/2010)

By mrs christmas

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

I just cleaned mine with liquid toilet bowl cleaner. Just squeezed it on, let it drip down and used my broom to "spread" it around. Then I just hosed it off. It worked wonders even on the stained tub! (01/31/2010)

By HalfWhit

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try WD-40. Spray on, let sit for awhile, then remove. Easy! When cleaned, spray on again, wipe excess off. Now you have a nice barrier. (02/01/2010)

By simplify

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2010 Flag

I have been trying for years to find a product or something to clean glass shower doors. Anybody got any ideas?

Debbie

By dayrt from Mechanicville, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

There's product from Amway call Bathroom Cleaner Plus. The bottle has a big blue plus sign on it. It is a little pricey, but you only need a little. Works really well. Just squeeze a little on the doors and spread with a sponge and let sit for a couple minutes. The glass will shine. (09/17/2009)

By PICO

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

A simple paste made with baking soda and water and a little elbow grease with a scrubby. Inexpensive and green, too. (09/17/2009)

By Deeli

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Cheapest, easiest thing I've ever found: once a month or so when I'm detail cleaning in that bathroom, use the finest grade of steel wool. Using only about 1/4 of the steel wool pad, wet the pad and the shower door, give it a brisk rubdown using light pressure, then rinse. They are perfect and sparkling. I've used this to clean old doors with lots of buildup, and to keep our brand new doors looking new. Cheap. No chemicals. Very little muscle. Very little time. Great results with never a scratch, even on the chrome faucets and door track. (09/18/2009)

By cjirby

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

What worked for me is cheap shampoo. After you are done taking a shower leave water on and squeeze the shampoo onto your hand or directly to the door and rub in a circular motion, then rinse. You might have to do this a couple times to get it all. I always do it once to three times a week. (09/18/2009)

By frugal parent

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Wet a couple cheap dryer sheets, add a little baking soda, and scrub. I clean my whole shower this way. It's the fastest, easiest, cheapest, and most effective shower glass door cleaner ever. My shower doors sparkle. (10/19/2009)

By animalfaire

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

I tried using my random orbital waxer with a clean bonnet. I sprayed the door with CLR (or KaBoom), and after only 30 seconds the door was perfectly clear. Even if you didn't use a clean bonnet, any waxy residue can be buffed off with a towel. (01/02/2010)

By PCMHallowell

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Try using fabric softener sheets. Just wet and use as you would use a rag to clean. Works great on shower doors. (01/02/2010)

By shellbeestreasures

Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Most definitely use CLR, it is fantastic for that purpose, then to keep your shower doors clean and scum free for a long time. Apply Turtle Car wax to doors buffing and leaving wax on until it dries. Then buff off as you would a car's finish. Water and soap scum roll right off and this lasts quite awhile, also it helps to rinse of doors lightly after each shower. (01/12/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomSeptember 13, 2011
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Smiling woman cleaning a shower door
Cleaning Water Spots on Shower Doors
Soap Scum covered shower doors
Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors
Shower Doors
Use Dryer Sheets to Clean Shower Doors
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 11:15:51 AM on 10.0.0.114 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.