Looking For Recipes Using Tofu

Does anyone have a simple, great tasting recipe for a dish using tofu for a person (me) who desires to eat healthier? The benefits of soy are many, not to mention high protein and low fat, but I've never eaten tofu in my life. Thanks so much.

By jrmahon from Shreveport, LA

My family has been eating tofu for many years. One of my favorite recipes is to cut a firm tofu block into small cubes. Marinate the tofu in tamari soy sauce for at least 10 minutes. Drain. Mix equal parts of nutritional yeast and corn meal together. Bread the drained tofu with this mixture. Fry in a small amount of oil until lightly browned.

Remember that tofu does not have much of a flavor on it's own. It always absorbs the flavors of the foods it is cooked with.

If you like Italian food here is one recipe I use for filling manicotti or shells or lasagna; I get the firm tofu and let it drain for about 1/2 hr by crumbling it into a strainer, after it drains I put it in a zip bag and add Italian spices and a little olive oil, close the bag and then squish it around a bit and let it rest while you get the rest of the dish ready.

Use the tofu in place of ricotta cheese and no one will know the difference! I have served this to peep who said they'd never eat tofu and can tell if it's in a dish....so far no one has been able to tell.

You can do the same thing using different spices in the tofu bag to make burgers, I usually add a little flour, ground walnuts, an egg, some wheat germ, whatever strikes your fancy to make the burgers hold together well and I have even grilled them.

Experiment and have fun, it's good for you!

Thank you both for helping me out with those recipes. I love anything Italian, and the other recipe sounds great except I don't usually fry anything. It was a big help to me to learn that tofu absorbs the flavors of the foods its cooked with. For a tofu newbie, that is crucial information!

When I was friends with a Japanese person, he used to just drain it, cut it in squares and sprinkle it with soy sauce and wasabi and eat it that way. It is very refreshing on a hot day.

Spicey Chinese dish made with tofu, minced pork, and spicy sauce.
Recipes Using Tofu
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceAugust 21, 2009
Tofu on Plate with White Background
Homemade Tofu Recipes
saving money on tofu
Saving Money on Tofu
Tofu in a bowl.
Substitution for Tofu
Recipes Using Soy