Substitution for Tofu

Category Substitutions
If you are avoiding tofu for health reasons or because you don't like the taste, there are some other foods you can substitute for tofu in most recipes. This is a guide about substitution for tofu.

I can't have any soy products. What can I use in place of tofu?

By Di from Cape Coral, FL

Answers

Well, for what reason are you eating tofu? Because you like it, or because you want to go vegetarian? As an inexpensive meat substitute? I enjoy it about once a year. If you are not concerned about eating animal protein, use chicken in most cases.

try vegweb.com for a recipe for seitan or tempeh.

My wife is allergic to any SOY and a bunch of other foods. The immediate substitutes are eggs, garbanzo & white beans, and cheese - specifically riccota, bulgarian feta (lower sodium) and cotija.

If you have other ideas, love to hear them.

I finally got serious about the diet, but keep coming across recipes that include Tofu. I hate tofu. Is there something similar that could be substituted?

Thanks,
Sue from Ft. Worth, TX

Answers:

A Substitute for Tofu

Hi, Sue - have you tried Quorn as a white meat substitute for tofu? It's low in calories, fats, etc, but some vegans won't eat it because it's based on a yeast-type growth and is viewed as being too like live food.

I'm not sure what you can do to substitute it in sweet recipes although using the unsmoked version in pies, creams (like ice cream) and as an alternative to cream most people can't tell they're eating tofu.

Hope this helps
Linda (06/18/2006)

By Linda from Milton Keynes, UK

A Substitute for Tofu

Use cooked Egg Beaters or similar egg substitute. An easy way to prepare is in a microwave safe dish sprayed with Pam and then microwaved till fluffy and no longer runny. Then cut up and add to your recipe as you would tofu. (06/20/2006)

By Amber

A Substitute for Tofu

Have you tried tempeh? Available at Whole Foods Market and other stores. It's made of soybeans that are intact and cultured. You need to cook it first. Can't be eaten raw. Has lots of texture and fiber because it's minimally processed. It's actually better for you than tofu. Has a quiet flavor. Not unpleasant at all.

Open a package of tempeh, cut into slices, fry litely in oil, turning on all sides, sprinkle with soy sauce if desired, use a meat in recipes.

Or just tuck it into a sandwich.

This immediately improved my cooking repertoire. (06/21/2006)

By Holly