Keeping My Dog in the Yard

I have a 10 month old yellow Lab who is quite large. I love her to death, but unfortunately the neighbors are not so fond of her. I can't put her on a chain, because there is too much in our yard for her to get tangled up on (basketball goal, five cars, steps, trees, etc). I have an electric fence which works pretty good except for when she gets really excited and runs through it, at which point she won't come back through it.

She's driving my neighbors crazy, because she will steal pillows off of their porch. I just bought her three new toys and I got a new puppy for her to play with in hopes that she would stay home. However just this morning she escaped. Any suggestions short of giving her up and or moving to Alaska?

By heartsoundslikekisses from NC

Best Answer

Those electric fences cause more problems than they are worth (except to a dog trainer like myself who can then charge you a good sum to retrain your dog to be willing to go into your yard and your vet for when a roaming dog attacks your unprotected dog). You should put up a real fence or get a dog run. Do not chain your dog, that can be deadly and will encourage aggressive behavior. Don't keep your dog in the yard, she is a companion breed and needs a lot of time with you. Take her for lots of walks and play, obedience train her, and if not done already, spay her. Especially if you don't have a real fence, there is nothing to keep her from getting pregnant from any boy who happens along.

Best Answer

If you cannot afford to fence your yard in (or rent), consider getting a kennel for your dog. Ours is 6x12 feet--we paid extra for a panel for the top. It is really heavy duty chain link and extremely sturdy. While you shouldn't keep a dog in one constantly because they need to be walked daily, they are great for allowing a dog to be outside without you for periods of time. We have it ours on a covered porch for our cat. He has a dog house in it, a litter box, food bowls, and ramps to climb and lie on. He is totally safe from predators. These are much cheaper than fencing in the entire yard, can be taken apart and moved if you get a new place, and re-sold if no longer needed, so they are pretty cost-efficient. They come in several sizes, and different companies make them in differing weights. We can buy additional panels to make ours bigger, but ours is fine for our cat.

We have one for our boxer/lab mix. She is 1 1/2 yrs old. She is tearing it up from the bottom of the fence and getting out. We've re-enforced it several times with more metal ties, but she chews up another spot. Any ideas? This is our 3rd trip to Lowe's.

Did you consider putting a fence up? If you have a huge yard like I do, you don't have to fence the whole thing all at once. We are doing ours a section at a time as we can afford it.

Either build a real fence, shorten her chain (regular collar and not choke chain, of course) or keep her indoors with you.

Contact the fence company because the frequency is not high enough. I wouldn't keep her on a chain. that can choke her too. I would build a hard fence and make sure it is sturdy enough for her to handle. Also, dog training helps in lots of ways. Look up Ceasar Milan's website to see what you can do too. Good Luck. I am so glad you love her. OH another think, I hope she is microchipped if she runs off too.

I agree with fencing a portion of the yard for when your dog goes outside. Never use a chain. Take her for long walks or to a dog park if possible and she will get her exercise. I love dogs and have two, but I don't take them outside unless they are on a leash. Training also helps. Jennifer Northern Virginia

Please, please don't keep her in the yard when you aren't around to supervise. That is like keeping a toddler outside all day with no supervision. You can easily crate train her (unless you are gone for 6+ hrs a day - then it is cruel) or train her to be non-destructive and keep her inside where she can be safe. Dogs don't want to be left outside without their people. They are pack animals who want to be with their "packs" you! If she was important enough to you to so that you wanted to share your home with her, then invest a little time and training and really make her a member of the family. If not, contact a lab rescue, make a donation to them and ask them to find a forever home for her. To do anything else is just wrong.

Dog in Backyard
Keeping Your Dog in Your Yard
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 16, 2009
Two dogs looking out the door of a wooden doghouse.
Training a Dog to Use a Dog House
Dog Jumping
Keeping Dogs from Jumping Your Fence
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎉
🎄