Removing Tar from a Car

Tar can get kicked up on the front of car easily during hot weather. Tar can be especially difficult to remove from the paint. This is a guide about removing tar from a car.

September 16, 2010 Flag

What can I use to remove tar from the outside door panels of my automobile?

By Joan from Russellville, AR

Best Answer

I use kerosene. Put a little on a rag and gently rub the places where there is tar and it will disolve and come off with no harm to the paint.

Use Goo-gone. You can purchase it at Wal-Mart.

I used coconut oil. It worked well. Apply it with your fingers. After 30 s wipe it off with a clean cloth. At low temperatures it forms a solid film, but it is easy to remove, as the heat from your fingers makes it melt.

November 8, 2010 Flag

Road tar and asphalt which splatters up and sticks to an automobile is almost impossible to remove. That is, unless you first saturate the spots with linseed oil. Allow the oil to soften the tar for a few minutes and you'll find that the grime rubs right off with a piece of coarse cloth.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

My son, now 53, walked barefoot across a freshly paved parking lot about 40 years ago. He took a shower and left the tar gunk in our only tub. I cleaned it as best I could before taking my nightly Avon Skin so Soft bath. When I emptied the tub every last bit of tar went down the drain. Needless to say, I didn't put any more of that stuff on my skin. I figure if it cleans away tar it's too rough for me.

August 7, 2011 Flag

What is the easiest way to remove road tar off of cars? Elbow grease goes a long way, but there has to be an easier way. We wash our car with Dawn and this helps, but the tar stains are so stubborn. Help!

By Peggy

This was amazing advise. I just got home and found tar all over the side of my white car. I tried everything and then found this post. It came right off...thank you!

Thank YOU!!! I'm sending a virtual HUG. I ran right out and tried it and my beautiful yellow Mustang is now happy and healthy looking. LOL

Did you use WD 40

January 4, 2006 Flag

Got road tar on your new car? Instead of using abrasive bug and tar removers that can strip off wax, use peanut butter. Just rub a little on the spot with a clean rag and the tar will start coming off. Safe for your paint and earth friendly.

By Steve from Memphis, TN

Any oil based face cream works too.

WD-40 works also and doesn't scratch, works great on bugs too or just about anything......it can also be applied to bug shield and other parts to prevent and easy removal of future bugs, tar and such. Also great for squeaky or sticking doors....I have used it to coat the rubber on doors and frames so they don't freeze shut....great stuff lots of uses....check out the WD-40 web site.....

September 16, 2004 Flag

Take road tar off you car by smearing it with butter. Leave on overnight and wipe it off in the morning with a rag. Good as new. My friend had bought a brand new car and took it on her first road trip and went thru some road construction.

October 17, 2004 Flag

Does anyone know what takes tar off of cars? I recently got a little bit on mine & can't remember what I read about it. It was a non-chemical/toxic solution.

Thanks!

Vicki

I just had one little spot and peanut butter took it right off.

sticky stuff remover works well

sticky stuff remover works well

November 11, 2005 Flag

To remove tar spatters from your vehicle, spray with Avon Skin So Soft on the tar, let it set a minute or so and wipe off.

July 14, 2012 Flag

How do you remove tar from a car that's been on for a long time? I've used gas, WD40, all types of removers, Varsol, peanut butter, mayo, and nail polish remover. Nothing works!

By Don

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What works for me is adhesive and tar remover available from auto parts stores. Also gasoline does a good job as well. You have to rub it in with a rag. It will look streaky when the tar is removed then wash the area. The longer the tar has been on the car the more difficult it will be to remove.

November 21, 2004 Flag

They were re-surfacing the roads in our housing development. I went to the near by local, Mom and Pop market, to get several needed supplies.

September 16, 2010 Flag

There are some items in your kitchen that may be successful in removing tar. Butter, creamy peanut butter, or vegetable oil applied to the tar and left for 12 to 24 hours should soften in and make it easier to remove. If that doesn't work there are a few items from the garage that may work. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits applied directly to the tar should soften it up and make it easier to remove. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits will most likely remove wax from your car as well.

By ThriftyFun

Answers:

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

Peanut butter works well, and is fairly cheap, although it takes a little bit of elbow grease. (06/23/2006)

By Steve

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I recently got tar on my car from a construction site around my apartment, I was terrified it wouldn't come out and it was a lot of it sprayed on the side. The car was only 2 weeks old. I knew my hubby would be so upset, so I saw the recommendation of Skin so Soft by Avon. I knew I had some, so I got it and a rag and tried it. I was amazed at how well it worked. I didn't have to rub too hard and it started coming out. (10/03/2006)

By Amanda

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

A paper towel dabbed in corn oil worked on mine. It took it of with some light rubbing. Then a quick rinse with some water did the job. (05/26/2007)

By Sooty

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

The best product I found is Grease B Gone from State Industries, but it is not cheap. $21.00 per pint. (08/01/2007)

By Glen

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I tried several things to get the tar (the tar was pretty thick) off my van, Skin So Soft, car polish, etc. Then I tried WD40 which worked like a dream. I had to spray it several times, but it really broke up the tar and I was able to wipe it off fairly easily. (11/19/2007)

By bustibarbi

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

Yes, baking soda does work! I had 5 spots in one night on my new car, including the windshield and I just put the baking soda on the spots and used a wet rag and "bam" it came out. I couldn't believe it! Thanks for the tip. (01/18/2008)

By Josh

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I just went out and tried a few of these suggestions and for me rubbing with baking soda first and coming back to the hard spots with veggie oil was great. Now my hubby won't let me get a new car because the problem is solved. Thanks whoever had this great idea! (02/09/2008)

By la

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

One word, two syllables, Gunwash! It is the easiest way to remove tar from vehicle. Use any clean rag with a bit of Gunwash. It will smudge on first few passes, but with in seconds, boom done. No letting it sit or waiting. Final pass, only swipe in one direction! (06/23/2008)

By Car Cleaning Master

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I found the bicarb helpful, but when I used eucalyptus oil poured onto a teaspoon of bicarb that had been placed on a damp rag, the results were fantastic! Much less elbow grease was required and a sparkling car afterwards. It works heaps better than a leading brand of tar remover that was useless! (10/03/2008)

By West Aussie guest post

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I used Goof Off and it works wonders. I had the tar stuck on my car for a whole weekend and I removed it using Goof Off. (11/17/2008)

By Manny

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

Goo Gone works great for getting smoke residue off the windows. Wipe it on, scrub a bit, then wipe it off with a dry microfiber cloth. The microfiber is key to getting a streak-free, residue-free shine.

I am not sure about on painted surfaces, but since it works for painted walls indoors I would guess it might go okay. The Avon bath oil is a good idea. I will have to try it.

(11/26/2008)

By bananapopsicle

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

The baking soda was amazing. Within a minute or two it softened it right up and I could wipe it off. It also worked well on rubbing off bike tire marks on my bumper. (01/16/2009)

By Sara

Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I tried the baking soda and that did work. However, another item we had around the house worked even better, Simple Green. It's just an all-purpose cleaner and it worked great! We just sprayed it on and we wiped the tar off like we were wiping off dirt.

(08/19/2009)

By paroof

I have had tar on my car for over a year. I asked a auto mechanic what would remove it and he said to use acetone. There was no way I was going to use that. I used the original blue Dawn and some elbow grease, then used vegetable oil. The tar is gone!

June 22, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideNovember 22, 2011
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Upholstery
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
🎉
🎄