Removing Tar from a Car

Tar can get kicked up on the front of car easily during hot weather. Tar can be especially difficult to remove from the paint. This is a guide about removing tar from a car.

car driving on a road
Filter Sort

Question: Tar on Car

Does anyone know what takes tar off of cars? I recently got a little bit on mine & can't remember what I read about it. It was a non-chemical/toxic solution.

Thanks!

Vicki

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I just had one little spot and peanut butter took it right off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Tar Off of Cars Easily

By Peggy 6 13

What is the easiest way to remove road tar off of cars? Elbow grease goes a long way, but there has to be an easier way. We wash our car with Dawn and this helps, but the tar stains are so stubborn. Help!

By Peggy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marg C. 31 Flag

I may be a little late here but Mayonnaise and a paper towel takes the tar right off. I've done this for years and will never buy special tar remover from the store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

By Joan 1

What can I use to remove tar from the outside door panels of my automobile?

By Joan from Russellville, AR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jennifer 33 93 Flag

I use kerosene. Put a little on a rag and gently rub the places where there is tar and it will disolve and come off with no harm to the paint.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Removing Road Tar from Your Car

Take road tar off you car by smearing it with butter. Leave on overnight and wipe it off in the morning with a rag. Good as new. My friend had bought a brand new car and took it on her first road trip and went thru some road construction. Her car was covered along the bottom of the doors. We used the butter and her car was beautiful again.

By Katz

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Linseed Oil to Remove Road Tar

By Monica 296 58

Road tar and asphalt which splatters up and sticks to an automobile is almost impossible to remove. That is, unless you first saturate the spots with linseed oil. Allow the oil to soften the tar for a few minutes and you'll find that the grime rubs right off with a piece of coarse cloth.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Removing Road Tar from the Car

Got road tar on your new car? Instead of using abrasive bug and tar removers that can strip off wax, use peanut butter. Just rub a little on the spot with a clean rag and the tar will start coming off. Safe for your paint and earth friendly.

By Steve from Memphis, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Tar from a Car

How do you remove tar from a car that's been on for a long time? I've used gas, WD40, all types of removers, Varsol, peanut butter, mayo, and nail polish remover. Nothing works!

By Don

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj 917 Flag

What works for me is adhesive and tar remover available from auto parts stores. Also gasoline does a good job as well. You have to rub it in with a rag. It will look streaky when the tar is removed then wash the area. The longer the tar has been on the car the more difficult it will be to remove.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cleaning Tar Spatters from Your Vehicle

To remove tar spatters from your vehicle, spray with Avon Skin So Soft on the tar, let it set a minute or so and wipe off.

By Harlean from AR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Road Tar On Auto?

They were re-surfacing the roads in our housing development. I went to the near by local, Mom and Pop market, to get several needed supplies. On getting out of my auto, I noticed tar on the bottom of lower panels and doors.

When I got home, I took out my WD40, went out to my auto, sprayed it on the tar. Used a soft cloth for removal, so not to scratch paint. Using a little elbow grease, it came off like magic.

By Gladys

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

Tips for removing tar from your car or trucks finish. Post your ideas.
Responses:
Baking Soda 06/01/2005
Use baking soda to take the tar off your car.
By scabansweeps
Skin So Soft 06/01/2005
My sister drove her vet out from California a few years back and had driven through some oily tar and she could not remove it although she had tried all sorts of things. I suggested she try Skin So Soft, by Avon, and she was amazed! It took it off right away!
By jeanne (Guest Post)
Cold Cream 06/01/2005
Cosmetic cold cream works. Rub on and wipe off.
By siris (Guest Post)
Goof Off 06/02/2005
There is a product called Goof Off made by Lilly Industries that works like a charm. I purchased it at K-Mart, but you could probably find it at other similar stores.
By dianajoyce
Gasoline 06/02/2005
Many years ago I used gasoline on a rag to remove it. Worked quite well. Do it outside rather in a closed garage.
By Syd (Guest Post)
WD40 06/05/2005
We used WD-40 to remove a 'lot' of tar from my son's car one time. It worked great, however, my brother told us that when it comes to repainting it, it isn't such a good idea. We didn't have to do that, so it didn't matter.
By (Guest Post)
Avon Bath Oil 06/22/2005
Nothing takes it off better that Avon Bath oil. Borrow it if you have to. It will amaze you, even if it's been there for a long time. Apply it with a rag, let it sit for a minute and wipe it off. No damage to the paint either.
By Ardis Barnes
Bath Oil Worked 07/08/2005
Thanks for the great tips! I used bath oil, and it came right off, wiped clean, no damage to the paint and it was A LOT of tar.
By chicago (Guest Post)

Archive: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

There are some items in your kitchen that may be successful in removing tar. Butter, creamy peanut butter, or vegetable oil applied to the tar and left for 12 to 24 hours should soften in and make it easier to remove. If that doesn't work there are a few items from the garage that may work. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits applied directly to the tar should soften it up and make it easier to remove. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits will most likely remove wax from your car as well.

By ThriftyFun

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

Peanut butter works well, and is fairly cheap, although it takes a little bit of elbow grease. (06/23/2006)

By Steve

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I recently got tar on my car from a construction site around my apartment, I was terrified it wouldn't come out and it was a lot of it sprayed on the side. The car was only 2 weeks old. I knew my hubby would be so upset, so I saw the recommendation of Skin so Soft by Avon. I knew I had some, so I got it and a rag and tried it. I was amazed at how well it worked. I didn't have to rub too hard and it started coming out. (10/03/2006)

By Amanda

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

A paper towel dabbed in corn oil worked on mine. It took it of with some light rubbing. Then a quick rinse with some water did the job. (05/26/2007)

By Sooty

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

The best product I found is Grease B Gone from State Industries, but it is not cheap. $21.00 per pint. (08/01/2007)

By Glen

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I tried several things to get the tar (the tar was pretty thick) off my van, Skin So Soft, car polish, etc. Then I tried WD40 which worked like a dream. I had to spray it several times, but it really broke up the tar and I was able to wipe it off fairly easily. (11/19/2007)

By bustibarbi

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

Yes, baking soda does work! I had 5 spots in one night on my new car, including the windshield and I just put the baking soda on the spots and used a wet rag and "bam" it came out. I couldn't believe it! Thanks for the tip. (01/18/2008)

By Josh

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I just went out and tried a few of these suggestions and for me rubbing with baking soda first and coming back to the hard spots with veggie oil was great. Now my hubby won't let me get a new car because the problem is solved. Thanks whoever had this great idea! (02/09/2008)

By la

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

One word, two syllables, Gunwash! It is the easiest way to remove tar from vehicle. Use any clean rag with a bit of Gunwash. It will smudge on first few passes, but with in seconds, boom done. No letting it sit or waiting. Final pass, only swipe in one direction! (06/23/2008)

By Car Cleaning Master

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I found the bicarb helpful, but when I used eucalyptus oil poured onto a teaspoon of bicarb that had been placed on a damp rag, the results were fantastic! Much less elbow grease was required and a sparkling car afterwards. It works heaps better than a leading brand of tar remover that was useless! (10/03/2008)

By West Aussie guest post

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I used Goof Off and it works wonders. I had the tar stuck on my car for a whole weekend and I removed it using Goof Off. (11/17/2008)

By Manny

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

Goo Gone works great for getting smoke residue off the windows. Wipe it on, scrub a bit, then wipe it off with a dry microfiber cloth. The microfiber is key to getting a streak-free, residue-free shine.

I am not sure about on painted surfaces, but since it works for painted walls indoors I would guess it might go okay. The Avon bath oil is a good idea. I will have to try it.

(11/26/2008)

By bananapopsicle

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

The baking soda was amazing. Within a minute or two it softened it right up and I could wipe it off. It also worked well on rubbing off bike tire marks on my bumper. (01/16/2009)

By Sara

RE: Cleaning Tar From Your Car

I tried the baking soda and that did work. However, another item we had around the house worked even better, Simple Green. It's just an all-purpose cleaner and it worked great! We just sprayed it on and we wiped the tar off like we were wiping off dirt.

(08/19/2009)

By paroof

Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideNovember 22, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Upholstery
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:17:07 PM on 10.0.2.219 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings