Making Bath Towels More Absorbent

We buy bath towels to dry off after a bath or shower. Finding that your towels are not absorbent, is very frustrating. This is a guide about making bath towels more absorbent.

December 23, 2015 Flag

I use white vinegar in my final rinse when washing all my towels. Your clothes will not smell like a pickle either, that is, unless you use the whole gallon of white vinegar.
Before I got my HE washer, I used my Downey ball for the final rinse, no more slick towels that will not absorb water. Using as little as a 1/4 cup, softens towels like they have been hung out to dry with a stiff wind blowing.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2006 Flag

About 3 months ago I bought some Martha Stewart bath towels. They were fairly expensive. I think $7 a towel. I used Downy fabric softener on them as I do all my clothes. About 3 weeks ago I noticed the towels were hard and not absorbent. These are pretty thick towels. So thinking it was the Downy, I stopped using it on my towels. Needless to say, they are still hard and scratchy. Have I ruined my new towels?

Dana from Newkensington, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Go to her website marthastewart.com and email them about it. I'll bet somebody responds to you! She is very hands on about her products, plus she just came out with a new housekeeping book, so she may even use your question on her show!

Best Answer

Fabric softeners shouldn't be used on any natural fibers. It was invented to prevent static cling from synthetics. It clings to natural fibers, making them much less absorbant. I think soaking in vinegar and washing them several times should remove the build-up. Good luck.

Wash these in hot water with vinegar. Never use fabric softener in towels. They stiffen and are less absorbent

I brought some of her towels last week and washed them twice and still get alot of lint on the body when my family dries with them. Very unhappy with them. I paid $7.oo each buy never again. I will probably use them for outdoors to clean outdoor furniture or just throw them away.

Editor's Note: Take them back to the store and explain the problem. If they have been washed twice and still have lint, they are defective.

I bought Martha Stewart towels at Macy's several weeks ago. I have a new washer and dryer, and always wash my towels separately. They are nothing but strings! I can't bellieve it. About 8 years ago I bought her k-mart towels, and they lasted 8 years. I no longer have my receipt from Macy's because who would think of having to keep a receipt for defective towels? I am very upset, and very disappointed with the product.

September 17, 2009 Flag

How do you get towels to absorb, that do not absorb? I do not use fabric sheets.

By SAUKRAPIDS from Sauk Rapids, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This is from the finish used when the towels are manufactured. To clear the problem just wash the towels in hottest water possible to avoid shrinkage and color fade, but add a cup of plain white vinegar to the wash water this will help strip all finish and any laundry soap build up that are on the towels. A special finish is used to make them appear softer and fluffy at the store. They will be fluffy, soft, and they will absorb the water, imagine that a towel that actually does what it is intended to do, absorb water not just look and feel pretty.

If you wash them with dawn dish washing detergent it has a very good grease fighting agent in it and they should start being more absorbent but do not use any any fabric softner as this will keep them from being absorbent.

I find that newer towels are sort of coarse. Wash them and put bleach in the water. This seems to soften them a great deal.

Wash & rinse & then use a couple of extra rinses. Soap left in material can not absorb water well. You could use a good amount of white vinegar in one of those rinses & shut off the washer & let sit for an hour or 2. Then rinse again. Many companies put various things on new material to keep it really soft for selling.

It might just be the towels. All of my towels are 100% cotton. I have one bath towel of a different brand that has never been as absorbent. I swear it's made of polyester but the tag says cotton! I also have one inexpensive beach towel that is worthless. I think when it comes to towels, for the most part, you get what you pay for.

April 10, 2008 Flag

I was surprised by the absorbency of the towels at the salon I go to, and did a little investigating. The staff does not use any softener in the washer, and NO dryer sheets, yet the towels are soft and so absorbent. They have a water softener. But I had to do some experimenting, because I wasn't happy with my towels, and I learned something. I washed a bunch of towels in just about 1 tablespoon of Oxy powder (my favorite) and then only 1/2 the amount of liquid softener that I usually use (even in hard well water). Then dried them without a softener sheet. TA DA! Soft AND really absorbent towels! And I save money.

By Kathy from Manitowoc, WI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I refuse to use dryer sheets and liquid softener is overused. I pour about 1/4 cup of softener in a spray container then fill with water. I then spray an old washcloth a few times and throw in the dryer. Plenty of softener and i only re-spray after about five or more dryer loads!

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 20, 2013
Reusable Absorbent Towels
Make Reusable Absorbent Towels
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
🎉
🎄