Cleaning Built Up Wax off a Table

Could you please tell me how I can clean off built up wax on a table?

Jenny from Wisconsin

i don't know if this is true but i was told that you smell the wax with a lighter and some how use an ice cube it get it to melt and that should take it off but like i said i have not tried it!!

If the table is antique take advice from an antique furniture restorer first - removing the aged patina can reduce the value of the piece. If this is not a valuable piece use very very fine steel wool and mineral turpentine. Soak steel wool and rub gently with the grain. Do a small section at a time and wipe off with a dry cloth. Test on an inconspicuous area first to guage the effect on the original surface seal, how much pressure to use, etc. If the first go doesn't remove all the wax just repeat without rubbing any harder. I have used this many times on old pieces with no problems. It does not damage the wooden surface and leaves the item very clean - you must use very fine steel wool though.

I save the little plastic tabs that come on the ends of bread. Use one of these to scrape off as much wax as you can. It won't scratch your table and then you'll be able to polish it.

If your table is Formica or some other kind of washable might try a solution of Tide and water. When wax is removed you can then start rewaxing. I do this every so often on my Formica end tables.

use a credit card to scrap it off comes off easy then polish. Hope this helps, I was a waitress in a resturant and we had really old and new table and candles on every table, works every time!

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJanuary 7, 2005
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
Visiting the San Juan Capistrano Mission
Visiting San Juan Capistrano (CA)
Built-in Book Shelf
Repainting a Built-in Shelf