Remedies For Burnt Soup

It's easy to lose track of your soup and return to find it stuck to bottom of the pot. But don't despair, check out this guide with remedies for burnt soup.

November 16, 2009 Flag

I made a huge pot of vegetable soup and the bottom scorched. I removed the soup, cleaned the pot and put the soup back in, but it tastes like burnt soup. How do I get rid of that taste?

By April from Connersville, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was making split pea soup. The flame must have been a bit too high and bottom of pot got scorched. Soup smelled and tasted burnt. I used the cinnamon solution and it took away the burnt smell and taste. You need to keep adding it until soup tastes normal. Thank you!

Best Answer

The vinegar and cinnamon totally saved my chicken and dumplings! Thank you so much ladies!! <3

Mandy Y

Best Answer

The cinnamon solution is to add in a tablespoon or so of cinnamon to your pot of soup. It will help to counteract the burnt flavor. Vinegar is also supposed to be good for masking the flavor. I would just add in a little bit, taste it and then continue adding until the soup doesn't taste so burned.

Do not stir, but pour all loose soup in to another container. Do not scrape bottom burnt part. I did this just a few weeks ago and the soup had no burnt taste. Mine was scorched so badly, it was difficult for me to scrape off the pan after soaking for a day with dish soap. But every bit of soup was enjoyed without anyone knowing, but me.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I just followed your advice and It saved my soup. I reheated the soup that my mother in law made. She took her time since last night and she finished early this morning. Oops I didn't mean it. I was in a big trouble few minutes ago. Only my 25 months old baby and you guys know about it ;) I gave up and I prayed about it.

Thank God for you. You really were an answer to my prayers.

Next time that it happens to any of you, and you scratch the pot unintentionally just change the pot anyway and put apple cider or vinegar until the flavor and smell disappear. It reallyworks ;) xo

Used the cinnamon on my scorched pea soup. It worked! Thanks, everyone.

By Rita

Thank you! I just tried the cinnamon solution and it worked! It saved two cuts of chuck roast and many potatoes, carrots and beans! Thank you---cinnamon stands for goodness!

what is the cinnamon solution?

I added black pepper and balsamic vinegar to a big pot of burnt veggie soup - really helped!

What a charm! The cinnamon and vinegar totally cleared everything up. Thank you a million! I am always burning food because I think I can do several things at once - and I obviously can't!!

March 23, 2009 Flag

I made a huge pot of bean soup and burnt it. It has a horrible taste now. Is there any remedy? Thanks.

Debby from Maryland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you know you have burnt it, without stirring (which will mix up the burned stuff) pour off the main part on the top. Just DON'T STIR...that will mix it! You should be able to at least salvage the part that is on the top.

Once all is mixed from stirring, however, there is not much that can be done.

As another poster said, I use a crock pot for that type of cooking!

I think the only solution is, throw it out.

I have done that too many times, and my solution was throw it out. Then I got a crock pot, that won't burn the beans, if you put in enough water to begin with.

January 6, 2009 Flag

How do I get rid of the scorched taste in my cheese soup?

indynan from Indianapolis

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Cheese and milk burn quickly in a sauce pan. When making soup, take your time! If the heat does get the better of you, don't scrape the bottom of the pan, it will release the burnt stuff at the bottom and flavor the soup.

I suggest a good double boiler. I know they look daunting, but they are way easy to use and not just for soups.

Once something is scorched, it's pretty much impossible to remove the scorched or burnt taste. But, I've found one way to sort-of camouflage it. You need to add something that's supposed to have a smokey-burnt taste, & That's to add Ham, Bacon or any "smokey" type of Meat. Even beef jerky or smoked Salmon or smoked fish or turkey could work.

The down side is, if the scorched taste is really bad it won't help & you've then wasted your meat. I suggest taking just one cup or less of soup out of the pot then adding the meat to it then microwave it, then let it sit overnight so the meat's smokey flavor will be absorbed into the soup & if this works, then you can do this to the rest of the pot. The trick is to heat the soup up to just UNDER boiling (You don't want to scorch it again& make the problem worst!) then after it's hot, let it sit overnight or for a few hours & then the meat's smokey flavor will be absorbed into the rest of the soup. Also, I'd suggest a microwave over using a stove top. This will help avoid scorching of milk & cheese.

* If you're a vegetarian, (like I am) you may be able to use a smokey cheese, or the fake TVP bacon bits. Also, this trick won't actually remove the scorched taste, but sometimes it will make it more palatable (IF the scorching isn't very bad!)

To prevent problems cooking in a pan on the stove, I cook soups like that in the microwave. I use a big glass bowl and microwave for a little while, then stir, and repeat till the soup is done. I burned many things before I started using the micro.

November 16, 2009 Flag

I fell asleep, the barley cooked to the bottom of the pot and the soup tastes burnt. Is there a remedy for this?

Thanks.

Betty

Answers:

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

I used the remedy suggested for burnt spaghetti sauce; peanut butter, about 3 tsp. for a quart of soup. I did it with homemade chicken vegetable soup I accidentally had burned when re-heating. I poured off the top soup, stuck it in another pan, and used the peanut butter remedy. It surprisingly worked. I figured I had nothing to lose. My soup was thick though, not a real liquid based chicken soup. (10/13/2007)

By shannon

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

This just happened to me this evening with a big pot of Vegetable Beef Soup. I added 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and then 1/2 cup of sugar to balance out the tart taste. Surprisingly the burnt taste was gone, and I just started over adding the seasonings. It is now simmering away in the crock pot. (04/07/2008)

By Sherry

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

I scorched the bottom of a huge pot of chili. It's still edible, but does have that scorched taste/smell. I called a friend who has been a professional chef and he said to use a little cumin or cinnamon. I had cinnamon open, so sprinkled a little in there. Fantastic! It did away completely with the burnt taste and odor, but I didn't taste the cinnamon. He said that this works on most beef/pork dishes. (12/05/2008)

By JMC

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

Thank you so much. The cinnamon really really worked! I put a lot of time into some chicken and dumpling soup last night after making a whole fryer chicken for dinner. I went to heat it today for lunch, got on the phone, and forgot about it. It was tonight's dinner and I cannot afford to waste food. After the cinnamon I added a little garlic dill to balance, and it tastes even better! (12/08/2008)

By Jani-Bannani

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Cooking a pot of Mung beans and lamb with Kale. I fell asleep, woke up to a kitchen of smoke. Quickly changed the pot and added new water. My beans still had the burnt smell and a light burnt taste.

I quickly googled and seen these post about cinnamon.

Thank you thank you it works and the cinnamon is not dominate to the dish..

Food and Recipes Food Tips SoupJanuary 25, 2017
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Chili
Fixing Burnt Chili
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 8:53:21 PM on 10.0.0.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.