Ask Butcher To Make Sale Roasts Into Ground Beef

contest winner icon

Every few weeks the different grocery markets have London broil and top round roasts on sale for $1.79-$1.99 per pound. What I do is go to the butcher at the market and tell him/her that I want 10 or 15 or 20 pounds of the roasts made into ground meat. I do this all of the time. Sometimes you will see in the AD that the roast will be sold as roast only. Then you can't do it. However, if that isn't mentioned go ahead and have them grind to your heart's content. You will save a lot of money.

By Anita from Schenectady, NY

Another way to get good quality and less expensive ground meat it to get an electric meat grinder and make your own. Less fat and less money. You can also make ground pork,chicken and even sausage. I got my grinder at walmart during the after Christmas clearance. Since then 2 friends have gotten grinders. We had a great time this summer making several varieties of sausage.

This is the only way I buy ground beef.

I never knew this, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps in NY beef roasts are on sale for $1.79 - $1.99 per pound but here in Michigan in the past 8-10 months we're lucky if it's under $3 a pound on sale. I used to do this often as our butcher in our local grocery thought it was a good idea as well & he would trim more fat off the roasts before grinding it for us. He used the same price label so we paid a few cents more per pound but got much leaner ground beef. But at $3 a pound on sale, we aren't doing that either. Great idea though!

Being as I use to work in a meat dept. you should ask them to run something through the machine first before putting your meat in. The first thing coming out of the machine will not be what you bought(could be pork, could be lunch meat from the deli grinding meat for luncheon spread, etc.) - you will also lose meat at the end unless they run something through the machine at the end. After no longer working in a meat dept I opted to buy the attachment for my mixer. Not suggesting you don't do it because you will end up with much better ground meat just be aware that you will lose meat in the grinder when they grind it and what first comes out will not be what you bought.

This is a wonderful suggestion and something that I have done for years. I am especially glad I use it now with all the news about the awful pink slime as an additive to ground beef! But, I haven't seen beef on sale at this price in years. In our area the sale price is about"$3.00 per lb. now but still a reasonably good buy when you can pick your own piece of meat and be assured that it contains no pink slime! 4/10/12

Double Cheese Burger
Saving Money on Ground Beef
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingDecember 3, 2008
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Ground Beef Casserole
Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
Butcher Paper Rolls
Uses for Butcher Paper
Knife and Butcher Block
Butcher Block Care and Maintenance