Blanching and Freezing Cut Up Beets

I peeled and cut up my beets for freezing and then saw that they should be cooked ahead of time, then peeled, and cut up, blanched, etc. So, how do I go about blanching, cooling, and freezing them?

I have cheesecloth, which is what I used for my carrots. Can I just put them in the bags and blanch them for 2-3 minutes, like I did with the carrots?

By Faith from Lansing, IA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You should be able to google this and find out.

The reason it is recommended that beets be cooked before they are peeled is because they bleed a lot. I am sure you can still blanch them in boiling water for a short time, rinse in cold water and put in freezer bags.

I have only made pickled beets and never frozen them but I believe this will work.

I simply brush and cut tops off beets and place in water and cook until done. Pour off some of the beet juice into a container. Then slip skins off beets and slice or quarter beets. Place in freezer containers or Ziploc bags and pour a small amount of beet juice into the beets and freeze. They can be used asif they were fresh out of the garden. I make vinegar beets or harvard beets or just buttered beets adjusting the seasoning to taste before serving.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 10, 2010
Canning Beets, Drying Beets, Growing Beets, Selecting Good Beets, Peeling Beets, Freezing Beets, Fresh Whole and Sliced Beets
Peeling Beets
Cut and blanched Brussel sprouts on a white plate.
Blanching Vegetables
Canning Beets
Freezing Beets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 7:54:33 AM on 10.0.2.132 in 780 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.