Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Blanching and Freezing Cut Up Beets

I peeled and cut up my beets for freezing and then saw that they should be cooked ahead of time, then peeled, and cut up, blanched, etc. So, how do I go about blanching, cooling, and freezing them?
I have cheesecloth, which is what I used for my carrots. Can I just put them in the bags and blanch them for 2-3 minutes, like I did with the carrots?

By Faith from Lansing, IA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By marie [1]08/13/2010

I simply brush and cut tops off beets and place in water and cook until done. Pour off some of the beet juice into a container. Then slip skins off beets and slice or quarter beets. Place in freezer containers or Ziploc bags and pour a small amount of beet juice into the beets and freeze. They can be used asif they were fresh out of the garden. I make vinegar beets or harvard beets or just buttered beets adjusting the seasoning to taste before serving.

By Robin Brady [4]08/12/2010

The reason it is recommended that beets be cooked before they are peeled is because they bleed a lot. I am sure you can still blanch them in boiling water for a short time, rinse in cold water and put in freezer bags.
I have only made pickled beets and never frozen them but I believe this will work.

By Joan [13]08/10/2010

You should be able to google this and find out.