VegetablesFreezing

Blanching and Freezing Cut Up Beets

I peeled and cut up my beets for freezing and then saw that they should be cooked ahead of time, then peeled, and cut up, blanched, etc. So, how do I go about blanching, cooling, and freezing them?

I have cheesecloth, which is what I used for my carrots. Can I just put them in the bags and blanch them for 2-3 minutes, like I did with the carrots?

By Faith from Lansing, IA

You should be able to google this and find out.

The reason it is recommended that beets be cooked before they are peeled is because they bleed a lot. I am sure you can still blanch them in boiling water for a short time, rinse in cold water and put in freezer bags.

I have only made pickled beets and never frozen them but I believe this will work.

I simply brush and cut tops off beets and place in water and cook until done. Pour off some of the beet juice into a container. Then slip skins off beets and slice or quarter beets. Place in freezer containers or Ziploc bags and pour a small amount of beet juice into the beets and freeze. They can be used asif they were fresh out of the garden. I make vinegar beets or harvard beets or just buttered beets adjusting the seasoning to taste before serving.