My Husband Has Bad Breath

My husband has horrible breath. Within the last several months I have noticed that his breath has progressively become worse. Let me first say that my husband is a smoker and also uses snuff.

At first when my husband brushed his teeth it was gone. Now brushing isn't helping. When we are in the car it is disgusting (at times I can't tell if he has passed gas or if it is his breath). I have just recently had family members say something to me about it.

I have researched some of the connections with people who suffer from halitosis and use tobacco products. Let me also mention that he suffers on occasion from indigestion and has always had problems with his sinuses. This is something else I have discovered that may also be contributing to his bad breath.

Am I missing something here? I am really concerned for his health but cannot bear to hurt his feelings. How can I tell him in a tactful manner because it is really becoming unbearable?

By Worriedwife from LA

Best Answer

Your husbands bad breath could be caused by tooth decay, a sinus infection or digestive problems. A visit to your family doctor might be in order.

Best Answer

I know you don't want to hurt his feelings, but if he's anything like mine, he'd sooo much rather hear it from you! He should know you love him, and want the best for him.

It's the smoking. After someone has smoked for a number of years, mouthwash and toothpaste don't take away the ashtray breath. My husband was a smoker and even when he was breathing through his nose it still smelled bad. The only cure is to quit smoking.

Definately have him checked out for a bad gallbladder. I know that sounds wacky but even though I only had an upset stomach every now and then for the past 20 years when my gallbladder got really bad I had really bad breathe the same way that you are describing... sorry but it smelled like I was breathing out a fart.

I would just try to be frank with him because yes it could be a multitude of things and see if he is having any other symptoms like drainage, a cough, more indigestion, diarrhea, stomach pain anywhere, etc... and present that to your doc.

Good luck

SEE A DENTIST. My sweetie had bad breath and it turned out his wisdom teeth were rotting. Once they were removed, the smell went away. Good luck!

Has your husband ever tried mixing peroxide and baking soda to brush his teeth with? Many years ago a dentist told me to use that combination and my teeth and gums would always stay healthy. Make small amounts, enough for one time use. You can make it as thick or as thin as you like. Also he can brush his tongue with it. Also, if he likes vinegar, try mixing up a batch of cucumbers, onion, tomatoes with equal parts of vinegar and sugar. You wouldn't need to use that must sugar as it's the vinegar part that helps the stomach. Keep it in the frig, to munch on as often as he likes. It may help fight infection from the inside out. In my opinion, both peroxide and vinegar are good home remedies for many things, but only when used individually. I wouldn't try mixing vinegar with peroxide. I'm not sure what would happen but it sounds like it might make one foam at the mouth. Yikes! Imagine that!

Taking vitamin C has helped with bad breath and body odors.

Bad breath can be a cause of dental problems, stomach problems or bacteria on the back of the tongue.

You can buy a tongue scraper. Take the tongue scraper and reach as far in on the tongue as possible and scrape forward.

Another good thing to try is Betaine Hcl... This is a supplement that is taken with the last bite of each meal, it adds extra stomach acid and contrary to popular belief, it will prevent ulcers such as H.pylori, not cause them as ulcers are caused by low stomach acid which allows bacteria to flourish and they can cause bad breath. I started with one capsule with the last bite of each meal and worked up to 3 capsules. If at any time you experience an acidic stomach, drop back by one capsule. Proper stomach acid will kill foreign (bad) bacteria and Candida in the stomach and prevent it from going into the rest of the digestive system

http://www.iher  Tablets/970?at=0

http://www.iher  leaner/9167?at=0

If you buy from the links above for the first time, try using code MIT939, it is worth $5.

Best always,

Jim in Jax

Get your husband to a doctor and have him checked out! My father had this problem and his breath was worse than diarhea! He let it go for months until my mother couldn't take it any longer. She made him go to the doctor and come to find out, he had an ulcer so bad that they ended up removing 3/4 of his stomach. After the surgery, the bad breath never returned. And, by the way, he was and still is a smoker. That had nothing to do with his bad breath.

He should have a physical. Could be ulcers, chronic bronchitis, or a lung problem.

There is a product called Smart Mouth that is really good for bad breath. It is a liquid that you gargle with and it can be bought at Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite-Aid, etc.