Adding a Scent to Laundry Detergent

I make my own laundry detergent, what can I use to scent the liquid detergent besides essential oil as essential oils tend to make me ill? Can anyone tell me what I can use to scent my detergent and maybe an exact website to order the oils from?

Donna from Sweetwater

I cant handle scent in my laundry detergent..but the only scent that doesnt trigger migraines is a true essential oil. Could you please send me the recipe for your laundry detergent?

That would be great

this is the recipe that i use. it is the best one i have tried so far.. i did not originally make up this recipe, another member did and i just copied it. good luck with it

Liquid Laundry Detergent

3 Pints Water

1/3 Bar Fels Naptha or Ivory Soap, Grated

1/2 Cup Washing Soda

1/2 Cup Borax

Bucket

4 Quarts + 1 Pint Boiling/Hot Water

optional: 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (or whatever EO you prefer)

optional: 10 drops Tea Tree Oil

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Add another 2 quarts boiling hot water and 1 additional quart plus 1 pint hot water and mix well. If using essential oils, add these now. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

If essential oils make you ill (I can relate), try boiling several lemon rinds in the water before you add it to your soap mixture. Try to scrape most of the pith out first. I do this to freshen my kitchen. You could even wrap them in cheesecloth so it would be easy to pull them out before using the water. You could probably use any citrus you prefer, but I would be afraid orange would stain the laundry.

I make this homemade laundry detergent. The lady I bought the soap from made it herself. She scented the bar of soap with tide brand essential oil. I cannot find this oil anywhere!

I have read and understand that most of the time when someone is sensitive to essential oils it is because of the chemical processing residues of low quality cheaply made oils, not actually the plant oils themselves. I am very sensitive and have found no irritation whatsoever with Young Living and other similar high-quality cold pressed oils that do not use chemical surfactants in the extraction processes. Additionally, many manufacturers incorporate high heat extraction methods which cause cellular degradation and mutations resulting in toxic by-products. Nowadays I only get migraines when people use those synthetic fragrance, neuro-toxic dryer sheets and Glade Plug Ins.

I use homemade detergent and I am wanting to buy an essential oil to smell it up some. I would really like a "fresh" and "clean" type scent. Does anyone have any idea what essential oils would be best? Even, if it isn't "clean/fresh" smelling, any ideas would be welcomed, please.

By Heather C.

I add 1 cup Gain fabric softener in mine after it is cool and whisk it into the container of detergent. It works good and smells nice, too.

I use vinegar in the softener dispense and sometimes mix essential oil in with it. The vinegar smell dissipates but the lovely smell of the oil remains. I never use fabric softener sheets in the dryer as it clogs up your lint filter.

Pat

Line drying in the open air gives garments the best fresh air clean smell that I know.

I have always been a faithful Gain products user but then I recently discovered the new "Tide Stain Release" tablets (small packages) that you can add to your own detergent! Wow! This is an awesome product! It gets out all the stains first time and I love the way it smells, too! It comes in a bag that has 10 pre-wrapped "tablets", just pop into your wash with warm water, add detergent, add clothes. You can then add fabric softener, too, in your wash (I use the Gain). My laundry stays fresh-smelling for weeks when the clothes are put away.

It sells for about $4 a bag, but there are coupons in the paper and if you're on Facebook, go to the "TIDE" page and click "Like": they often have free giveaways of this product. My whole family received them in the mail plus coupons! I recommend this product to anyone! My whites came out so bright (after being yellowy from sitting around). They look brand new.