Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Adding a Scent to Laundry Detergent

I make my own laundry detergent, what can I use to scent the liquid detergent besides essential oil as essential oils tend to make me ill? Can anyone tell me what I can use to scent my detergent and maybe an exact website to order the oils from?

Donna from Sweetwater

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Mary07/05/2009

I have read and understand that most of the time when someone is sensitive to essential oils it is because of the chemical processing residues of low quality cheaply made oils, not actually the plant oils themselves. I am very sensitive and have found no irritation whatsoever with Young Living and other similar high-quality cold pressed oils that do not use chemical surfactants in the extraction processes. Additionally, many manufacturers incorporate high heat extraction methods which cause cellular degradation and mutations resulting in toxic by-products. Nowadays I only get migraines when people use those synthetic fragrance, neuro-toxic dryer sheets and Glade Plug Ins.

By CHRISTI [2]03/11/2009

I make this homemade laundry detergent. The lady I bought the soap from made it herself. She scented the bar of soap with tide brand essential oil. I cannot find this oil anywhere!

By Denise G (Guest Post)07/14/2007

If essential oils make you ill (I can relate), try boiling several lemon rinds in the water before you add it to your soap mixture. Try to scrape most of the pith out first. I do this to freshen my kitchen. You could even wrap them in cheesecloth so it would be easy to pull them out before using the water. You could probably use any citrus you prefer, but I would be afraid orange would stain the laundry.

By Donna [15]06/24/2007

this is the recipe that i use. it is the best one i have tried so far.. i did not originally make up this recipe, another member did and i just copied it. good luck with it

Liquid Laundry Detergent

3 Pints Water
1/3 Bar Fels Naptha or Ivory Soap, Grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
Bucket
4 Quarts + 1 Pint Boiling/Hot Water
optional: 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (or whatever EO you prefer)
optional: 10 drops Tea Tree Oil

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Add another 2 quarts boiling hot water and 1 additional quart plus 1 pint hot water and mix well. If using essential oils, add these now. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

By Jodi06/21/2007

I cant handle scent in my laundry detergent..but the only scent that doesnt trigger migraines is a true essential oil. Could you please send me the recipe for your laundry detergent?
That would be great

Here are questions related to Adding a Scent to Laundry Detergent.

Question: Essential Oil for Homemade Detergent

I use homemade detergent and I am wanting to buy an essential oil to smell it up some. I would really like a "fresh" and "clean" type scent. Does anyone have any idea what essential oils would be best? Even, if it isn't "clean/fresh" smelling, any ideas would be welcomed, please.

By Heather C.

Most Recent Answer

06/28/2011

Lavender, lemon or orange smell nice and fresh. :-)