Use Chili Sauce as a Copper Cleanser

My mother is in her late 70's and as such, has a lot of copper pots, which have tarnished over the years. She had been using copper polish but found it becoming expensive. Last week, she spilled some " Taste of Asia " chili sauce on one of her pots.

When she wiped it it off, she found that it had cleaned the pot as well as the copper polish. She was so pleased that she did all of her pots with the chili sauce. At less than a $1.00 (Canadian), she was ecstatic.

By Solarbaby

Simply amazing! This is one of the most amazing tips I've ever read! I can't stop wondering exactly what ingredient in the chilly sauce cleans the copper. Is it the acid from the tomatoes? Is it the chilies themselves? Is it some additive (like Citric Acid) that cleans the copper? I wish I knew, because I don't think I'd like to soak my copper jewelry findings in chili sauce. <*grin*> But I will if I have to! Thanks for the tip!

PS. Can you please post the ingredients on the back of the chili jar's label?

I believe that catsup (or ketchup, whichever spelling you prefer) works just as well to clean copper.

Just splash some vinegar on the copper then quickly sprinkle on some salt and give it a quick rub. This is the quickest, cheapest way I've found to keep my copper bright!

Just an FYI. Ketchup, even the cheapest kind, will clean copper. My mom used it on her's and I use it on mine. It is the acid in the tomatoes that actually cleans it. Be sure to clean any tomato product off throughly as it will eat through the copper.

I can't believe, my sister-in-law, for years used mayonnaise to polish/clean her copper sink. When she told me I said why don't you just use vinegar, that's obviously what is the ingredient doing it!

I have been using the cheapest catsup for years. The acid from the tomatoes eats the tarnish right off.

All these things contain vinegar, I would guess that is what is cleaning the tarnish off the copper. White vinegar is a great all natural cleanser for a lot of things. My mother always used it in her cafe as a natural cleanser to wipe down countertops and tables. Just hot water and white vinegar.

Here in Texas we prefer to eat the chili (or ketchup) So for my copper pots I use Barkeeppers Friend. Works great.

Tell your Mom that salt and lemon juice also does a great job on cleaning copper pans. Just sprinkle it on and wipe off then rinse. Works fine.

October 7, 2009 Flag

If you run out of copper cleanser, just use leftover hotsauce. Frank's works great, but so does Taco Bell's Fire sauce. Watch the tarnish disappear like magic!

By Tonya Vest from Lexington,KY

Answers:

Alternative Copper Cleanser

Worcestershire sauce is also a great copper cleaner. I've been using in for years. Sprinkle on and rub all over, rinse and rub dry. Plain vinegar will also work well. (02/09/2006)

By Annie

Alternative Copper Cleanser

Even less expensive: rinse item with hot water. Sprinkle liberally with salt. Sprinkle with white vinegar. Cover entire area. Instant clean. Rinse, dry thoroughly. (02/10/2006)

By CheepieGal

Alternative Copper Cleanser

Ketchup works too on just about any pan bottom. Must be the acid in it. (02/10/2006)

By Anonymous

Alternative Copper Cleanser

I have used an equal mixture of salt, white vinegar and flour for 41 years on my same copper pans. ie: 1/3 cup of each of the above mixed together to form a paste. Then use a sponge piece to cleanse and leave it in the container when you are through. (02/10/2006)

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousOctober 7, 2009
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Woman with facial mask and cukes on eyes.
Homemade Facial Cleanser Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
🎄