Steam Clean Your Microwave

Some time ago I heard that microwaving your moist dishcloth for 2 to 3 minutes (depending on your microwave) will sanitize it. I have begun doing that every evening following dinner dishes, but there is an added bonus. The heat and moisture loosens anything on the walls of your microwave as well and a quick wipe-down with your heated cloth will make it sparkle. My microwave looks totally brand new since doing this faithfully, and it is almost a year old!

By Lee from Southeast WI

May I suggest you just use a clean dishcloth every day? It won't make a difference in energy to wash seven cloths a week.

Rather than the dish rag, I usually dip out half a teacup of dishwater. I set the cup in the microwave and run it on high for 5 minutes.

Since my microwave has a removable rotating base, almost like a plate, my next step - after I carefully transfer the cup back to the dishwater - is to thoroughly wring out my dish rag. I fold it in quarters, lay it in the removable plate, and transfer both to the dish water. While the microwave base soaks, I wipe out the inside of the microwave, making sure to brush out all those little bits of debris. Last but not least, I wash the base. If I have time, I let the whole shmeer air dry for a little while before I replace the clean base and close the door. Voila! A sparkling microwave!