Steam Clean Your Microwave

Some time ago I heard that microwaving your moist dishcloth for 2 to 3 minutes (depending on your microwave) will sanitize it. I have begun doing that every evening following dinner dishes, but there is an added bonus. The heat and moisture loosens anything on the walls of your microwave as well and a quick wipe-down with your heated cloth will make it sparkle. My microwave looks totally brand new since doing this faithfully, and it is almost a year old!

By Lee from Southeast WI

May I suggest you just use a clean dishcloth every day? It won't make a difference in energy to wash seven cloths a week.

Rather than the dish rag, I usually dip out half a teacup of dishwater. I set the cup in the microwave and run it on high for 5 minutes.

Since my microwave has a removable rotating base, almost like a plate, my next step - after I carefully transfer the cup back to the dishwater - is to thoroughly wring out my dish rag. I fold it in quarters, lay it in the removable plate, and transfer both to the dish water. While the microwave base soaks, I wipe out the inside of the microwave, making sure to brush out all those little bits of debris. Last but not least, I wash the base. If I have time, I let the whole shmeer air dry for a little while before I replace the clean base and close the door. Voila! A sparkling microwave!

September 28, 2010 Flag

One chore I used to hate was cleaning the microwave. Now I simply put a cup of water (microwave safe) in the microwave and heat until at a full boil. Turn off the microwave and allow the hot water to sit in the closed microwave for 10-15 minutes. Then wipe the microwave clean with a moist clean rag or towel. No chemicals to harm anyone.

Source: Just started doing this on my own many years ago.

By Kumama from Reisterstown, Maryland

Steam Clean Your Microwave

then take the hot cup of water and make yourself some tea and sit down and relax make sure the microwave is the last chore to get done. (Ha-Ha) just sit and relax ok from another stay at home mom with an autistic child, a dog (she is 3 and acts like a 3 year old child and a cat and a hubby (07/31/2008)

By dietvanilla

Steam Clean Your Microwave

For a bit of additional "umph" to it, it will cut the grease better if you add a bit of lemon juice to the water. As a bonus, it deodorizes as well. (07/31/2008)

Cleaning a Microwave
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesSeptember 28, 2010
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cleaning a Burnt Microwave
Cleaning a Burnt Microwave
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam