Sunshine Dill Pickles

This is the easiest and quickest recipe I have ever found!

• 6 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup canning salt
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. alum
  • small cucumbers
  • Ad
  • dill
  • clove garlic

Directions:

These don't seal so you have to keep them in the refrigerator. We have an old one in the garage that I use just for extra garden produce and pickles. You can use gallon jars or pints; any glass with a lid will work. Bring vinegar, water, canning salt, and Alum to a boil then let it cool.

In the meantime, pick your cucumbers and use them soon after picking, the sooner the better. For a pint jar, I split one large head of dill in three or four pieces and use two for each pint, one in the bottom of the jar and one at the top. Put one clove of garlic in the bottom and fill tightly with cucumbers then add another clove of garlic and another piece of the fresh dill. If you are making a gallon, I use 6 heads of dill and at least 6 cloves of garlic. The brine recipe I have listed will do a gallon. I make the whole recipe even if making a pint at a time and keep it for the next time.

When you have your ingredients in the jars, fill within 1/4 inch with your cooled brine (it doesn't have to be cooled but the recipe calls for it to be) put on your flats and rings and set out in the sun for three days, bring in and enjoy. If it's cloudy don't worry it will still work. Remember they don't seal so refrigerate them.

If my cucumbers get ahead of me, I slice them lengthwise and add another tablespoon of alum to the brine and they are nice and crisp for sandwiches. You can use the same brine for other vegetables as well. Carrots and beans need to be cooked some before sealing up. Koli-rabi is delicious this way, add a piece of green pepper to the jar, mmmm!

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

My mom made these! Thank you! And I wanted to say thanks for all the memories you bring of my mom, she was born in1920 in Loup City, Nebraska! Never heard of anyone from there until I found this wonderful site!!

Ditto! My mom had a garden and made these too. Born in 1922. The recipe is the same except she didn't use the alum. I couldn't wait for the pickles to be done. Years later my children would wait for Oma to make the sun pickles. Thanks for sharing.

Sunshine Dill Pickles
Making Sunshine Dill Pickles
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesAugust 4, 2010
Making Homemade Pickles
Making Homemade Pickles
Dill Pickles
Recipes Using Pickles
Dill Pickle on White Background
Dill Pickle Recipes
add tag to front
Making a "Basket of Sunshine"
🎉
🎄