Homemade Suntan Lotion

I read in a book about making your own sun tan lotion. We all know how expensive it can be to purchase at the store. I was wondering if anyone knows the recipe for it? Is it really safe to use, or am I better off paying for it at the store? Thank you so much!

By Jaci from MO

I use baby oil and water, works great except there is no spf, use at your own risk.

There are recipes out there, that being said, it's cheaper (watch for sales and fliers for coupons) to buy the stuff! Really, baby oil and water. Is your health worth the risk?

June 5, 2012 Flag

I tried this the other day it works really good. I wanted to test on myself before I used it on the kids.

Ingredients

Directions

Put all ingredients in a glass bowl on top of a pan of boiling water and melt all ingredients together, stirring often. Allow to cool and put into empty bottle. Store in a cool dry place or in the fridge.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

This may feel good after sun, but is NOT useful as a sunscreen!

I was thinking the same thing - are there ingredients in here that have SPF and actually protect from the sun? Or is it meant more for an after-sun lotion?

This may be very good for your skin, but it will not protect against sunburn, unless there is some zinc in the diaper rash cream. That may have some SPF value.

Actually, if you check out this article, it says that coconut oil has an SPF of 4-10.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2012 ... cipe-for-natural-homemade-sunscreen/

I'd think the ingredients in this recipe would cost more to use than just buying a bottle of sunscreen. Diaper cream can be expensive! And it leaves a sticky white residue behind. But more than that, there's no way of telling how much sun protection this actually gives. It might make a nice lotion for the skin but I wouldn't risk getting burned with it. There are sunblocks available to buy that have fewer chemicals in them if that's a concern.

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes SkinMarch 30, 2011
lotion bottle
Getting All the Lotion Out of a Bottle
Shaving Supplies
Homemade Aftershave Lotion
Homemade Hand Lotion Recipes
Homemade Hand Lotion
🎉
🎄