Homemade Remedy for Worms in Cats

Are there any home remedies for the worms that look like "rice"? My cat had babies and now she has these thingies.

By Lori from Chilliwack, BC

Sounds like tapeworms. They go hand-in-hand with fleas. A flea is ingested by the cat, and the worms come from the fleas (I might not be explaining 100% accurately, but this is the best way I know to explain it). You need to treat for fleas AND tapeworms. We just went through this last year with a stray kitten we rescued. We were told by the vet that 14 days after the flea is ingested we'll see evidence of the worms.

There are some topical flea treatments that also treat for SOME worms and mites . . . but they do NOT treat for tapeworms. We tried the topical flea treatments and a topical tapeworm treatment. It was expensive, and didn't work for this cat. After fighting with it for several months (and treating the house, but neither of our other cats had problems), I took him back to the vet and explained what we had been going through. They gave him an oral tapeworm treatment, and an oral flea treatment. The flea treatment can be given every day, but it just took one treatment, and we've been flea/worm free for months!

I recommend you take them to the vet. The kittens probably have worms, too. Their bellies will be fat with worms, and that's really bad for them. Best of luck!

Hello, No...there is not a home remedy. Your fur baby has Tapeworms. They must be treated by your Veterinarian. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please go ASAP as your baby can get really sick. Good Luck.

It's best to get meds from a vet because it depends on the weight of the cat how much of a dosage they should have. Also, since mommy is nursing, that needs to be mentioned too.

Worms are not good for any being and if your baby has tapeworms that is really dangerous because the tapeworms eat all the nutrients from the foods the animal eats. Please take a fresh stool sample (you don't need to take the cat which would cost more for a vet check) to be analysed. If your cat does indeed have worms, vet offices that are not greedy will weigh your cat for free so you can get a prescription.

Our family consists of my husband and myself, and

our 4 grown married children. Everyone of my

children grew up with pets of all kinds and descriptions. Everything except the fish got

food-grade diatomaceous earth in their food all

the time. We NEVER had a problem with worms

with any animal. Just be sure it's food grade

and don't be afraid to use it.

Our grown children all have pets, dogs, cats, a horse, birds, and lots of fresh and salt water fish.

I don't suppose any one of them would be caught

without diatomaceous earth.

Now, my hubby and I have only one kitty. We just sprinkle it over his dry food, and if he even knows it's there, I'm surprised.

If you do have a really fussy pet, you could

just dust it into their fur or feathers...being

careful not to have them breathe it in.

I hope this helps. Since you have nursing kittens,

rub it into the mama kitty's tummy really well so

that it's no longer dusty. The babies will ingest diatomaceous earth from their mother's nipples, and just getting that much of the remedy might

be all you need for them as little as they are.

Wishing you the best of luck with them.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

No you need meds. Jeannie

It sounds like it may be pin worms, they can come out of the anus and lay eggs and you can some times see them when they come out, I would recommend apple cider vinegar. Put one tea spoon of it in their water or on there food everyday day that you change their food and water for up to 2 weeks at the max and see if that helps.

February 20, 2013 Flag

How do you get your cat to eat the food with the turnip in it? I tried and he just turns his nose up at me.

By Jennifer

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know about turnip, but we do give our cat pumpkin (canned) with her food every day. She eats mostly dry food, but once a day she gets about a tablespoon of canned cat food mixed with the same amount of pumpkin and a little canned tuna. It's supposed to be good for their digestion. I think the secret is to start with a very small amount of turnip and gradually increase it. Also, mix it in really well with her other food. She knows what time of day she gets her "treat" and gets very vocal if we are a few minutes late. Hope this helps.

April 6, 2010 Flag

Is there something I can add to kitten and cat food to rid them of worms. For example, spices or food that I can add. There are over 30 cats and kittens, some are wild.

Diane from Fontana, CA

Homemade Remedy for Worms in Cats

Try a small amount of raw finely grated turnip mixed in wet food.

For more tips and tricks check out: http://flip195.wordpress.com/ and www.all44paws.org (12/31/2008)

By flip195

Homemade Remedy for Worms in Cats

You may want to try to get ahold of some diatomaceous earth (not the kind for swimming pools) as this is a completely natural substance that is sold at some garden supply stores. It's nature's insect killer (anything with an external skeleton) and will kill internal parasites without any harmful effects on your cats. In fact, if you've ever eaten flour you have consumed it yourself because it's put in silos to control insects because it's safe for human and animal consumption. May have to repeat giving to the cats sprinkled over the food, but it's cheap and won't hurt a thing (might dry your hands out and that's it). (01/02/2009)

By Trixie

Homemade Remedy for Worms in Cats

These are all good ideas; one that has worked for me for years with all of my animals from horses to dogs and cats is MSM. Its a sulfur compound used most often to help with arthritis and joint issues. If you add a tablespoon or so to their water every day the MSM will cause the parasites to not be able to attach to the intestinal wall, and will kill the ones already attached. While I worm my horses twice a year to be on the safe side they have never shown any evidence of parasites in their manure afterward and an intestinal scope has always shown them to be clear, same for the dogs and cats. (01/06/2009)

By tigra

Homemade Remedy for Worms in Cats

Food grade diatomaceous earth is a natural organic wormer that is effective against all intestinal worms and parasites. Externally it's great to simply dehydrate fleas as well. I take it, my employees take it, my children, and grandchildren, as well as my 100 animal guardians - 365 days/year.

Info here:

You're in Fontana and there's a retail store in Riverside.

Simply put it in their food. It works great. I feed it to all incoming rescues and ferals that are brought to us. (01/09/2009)

By Happy Pets

Remedies for Worms in Cats
Pets CatsApril 6, 2010
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
A worm on pavement.
Getting Rid of Worms On Your Driveway
A dog and its owner.
Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?