How Do I Make a Whiteboard?

My daughter wants a very large "white board" but the commercially available ones are prohibitively expensive. Does anyone have a suggestion for making one which she can use in her apartment? As a graduate student, she needs a significant space on which to write.

By TheOldLadyoftheVillage from Philadelphia suburb

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You can buy the white laminate material at Lowes or Home Depot very cheaply. It comes by the foot. They also sell the white paint that drys into the dry erase, but I haven't had as good of luck with it.

This one is easy. Home improvement centers sell a 4 x 8 sheet of tileboard or showerboard. They will cuy it to size if you like. Just nail or screw it to the wall. If she wants she can put a border of ribbon, bulletin board trim or whatever she likes around the edges. I did this in a classroom where the chalkboard was so old one couldn't see the chalk writing. I just screwed the tileboard right on top of the old chalkboard.

I might do to try a white contact paper on a sheet or large square of cardboard if you are looking to economize..

If you go to any paint dealer, you can buy chalkboard paint. A layer or two of this on any wall transforms the entire wall into a chalkboard, and it can be painted over when she is ready to move. Plus, chalk is cheaper, and more eco-friendly. No plastic to discard when the marker dries up!

I'm not sure the cost, but white/frosted glass works very nicely as a white board and looks great if mounted properly. Cheaper than White boards themselves and I'm pretty sure a glass shop will cut it to size.

There is a new kind of paint that you can buy (sorry, I forget its name) that paints a whiteboard onto your wall. It comes in several colors, so it can match any decorating scheme. It works much like a whiteboard, but there is no marker trace left after it is wiped clean. Many schools are painting their chalkboards with it, since it is much cheaper than replacing them with whiteboards, and it lasts much longer too.

Making a Homemade Whiteboard
Make Your Own MiscellaneousJanuary 20, 2011
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Pizza Bagels
Pizza Bagel Recipes
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Homemade rock candy.
Homemade Rock Candy
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 8:24:32 AM on 10.0.1.54 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.