Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cups diced cooked beets
  • 2 Tbsp. melted butter

Directions:

Mix first two ingredients together. Add vinegar and water. Boil 5 minutes. Add beets and butter. Allow to stand over low heat until flavor penetrates. Serve hot.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Marie G W. [12]05/31/2012

I would drain the beet pickles, reserving the liquid. 15 to 16 oz can of beet pickles. Chop the beets to smaller size cubes. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to liquid. Add 1 Tablespoon corn starch and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon to cold liquids and stir. Heat the liquid slowly and when hot add the beets. Heat the beets until very hot. If liquid becomes too thick add a little more water.

Variations

Read and rate the best variations below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Harvard Beets

Love this beet recipe! Very, very good and tangy!

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1/4 cup beet juice
  • 1 quart diced beets, drained
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Combine sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and beet juice. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add drained beets and heat thoroughly over low heat. Season to taste. Serve hot.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 Minutes (just until heated through)

By Robin from Washington, IA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Harvard Beets.

Question: Using Pickled Beets to Make Harvard Beets

Do you have a recipe for Harvard beets using pickled beets?

By Forrest C.

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac [18]05/30/2012

I don't. If you already have the pickled beets and want to use them up I would do this. Melt a little butter (two tablespoons) and mix it with a little flour (one tablespoon) in a saucepan.

Add the juice of the canned beets and then sweeten with a tablespoon of sugar. If you don't have a half cup of juice add a little water. Cook until the juice forms a glaze. It won't take long. If you are going to buy the beets. Get plain canned beets and make the recipe just like above only add two tablespoons cider vinegar. Delicious.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Harvard Beets Recipe

I am searching for a recipe for Harvard Beets using the canned small whole beets and Splenda. I made this a while back and have lost the recipe. Any help will be appreciated.

Linda from Greenwood, SC

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

I don't believe I've ever had Harvard beets but a friend of mine says they are very good. I'm assuming they are served hot? I've always loved pickled beets. My husband and I have canned our own and they were great; however we decided that the Aunt Nellie's jarred in the store are excellent and cheap enough so we'll just buy them. Aunt Nellie's does make Harvard beets if you wanted to just buy them; however they wouldn't contain Splenda. I would think you could find recipes online. Put Harvard beet recipe into a search at Google or ask.com. Also www.allrecipes.com is a great recipe site and you might find the recipe there. Good luck, Debbie (01/08/2007)

By Debbie52

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

Use any Harvard beets recipe and substitute Splenda. It tastes fine! (01/08/2007)

By coreenhart

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

Searching on allrecipes.com using the ingredient search, I was able to find 3 different recipes. None of them have Spenda but instead have sugar, but from what I understand you can pretty much substitute Splenda for sugar in just about any recipe. Here's the links to the recipes I found, hope they help: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmas-Harvard-Beets/Detail.aspx http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Harvard-Beets/Detail.aspx http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Glazed-Whole-Beets/Detail.aspx (01/08/2007)

By Tracy

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

Hi Linda, check out recipezaar.com for a basic Harvard Beets recipe and as others have noted, just sub Splenda for the sugar. BTW, I notice you're down here in my neck of the woods! I'm an ol' Green Woojun myself, and if you come up with a killer beet recipe you could call it "Lander Beets"! (Hey, Greenwood needs all the help it can get!) (01/08/2007)

By Alph

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

Thanks so much for all the info. I remembered using the small whole beets in a can but didn't remember using any vinegar. And, Alph, I'm a former Lander gal. (01/09/2007)

By Pepsi Gal

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

i've always heard that Splenda and sugar are equal amounts in recipes - have you tried a regular recipe and just substituting the Splenda? (01/09/2007)

By Teri Van Hecke

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

I use Splenda in everything--even Harvard beets. But if a recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, I use 2 cups Splenda. To me, the vinegar is overpowering if you don't use more sweetening to balance it. I've also found that using the packets rather than the measure for measure Splenda yields a sweeter product (each packet = 2 tsp.). (01/12/2007)

By Cryssie

Archive: Harvard Beets

Cook:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. butter

Directions:

Pour over sliced cooked cubed beets 1/2 hour before serving.

By Robin

RE: Harvard Beets

I was so suprised to see this! We had Harvard Beets growing up as a child, we grew a very large garden. This is an excellent way to serve beets and goes with anything. I even worked in a high end resturant and we were shipped beets by mistake and made them this way to serve. (04/23/2005)

By Jane

Archive: Harvard Beets

This recipe for Harvard Beets comes from the 1964 edition of "Joy of Cooking". It is one of my husband's favorite vegetables. It makes 6 servings.

Slice or dice:

• 3 cups freshly cooked or canned beets
Stir in a double boiler until smooth:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 whole cloves
  • 1/2 cup mild cider vinegar or dry white wine
Cook and stir these ingredients until they are clear. Add the beets and place them over hot water for about 30 minutes. Just before serving, heat but do not boil, and add 2 tablespoons butter.
  • 1 tablespoon orange marmalade (optional)
I never leave them sitting over hot water, but I do find that making them the day before really makes a difference.

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

RE: Harvard Beets Recipe

I tried a recipe from The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook. I have never liked beets (I think they taste like dirt) but I loved this recipe! I don't see why you couldn't use canned beets and Splenda does make a brown sugar sub. This is a recipe for six.
  • 2 1/2 lbs. beets
  • 2/3 cup orange juice
  • 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp. margarine or butter
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • Orange zest (opt)
1. If using fresh beets - leave root and one inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place in a Dutch oven; cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 min or until tender. Drain, peel and cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices.

2. Combine juice,vinegar and margarine in a bowl. Combine suger, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Gradually add juice mixture, stirring well with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until thick (about two min), stirring constantly.Add beets, tossing gently to coat. Garnish with orange zest, if desired.

This is a lot easier than it sounds. Excellent recipe - even my 2 and 5 year olds love this. (01/11/2007)

By Lisa from Wisconsin

Archive: Harvard Beets

Ingredients

• 2 cups freshly cooked drained and diced beets
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup boiling water

Directions

Cook all ingredients except for beets until sauce is clear. Add beets. Keep beets and sauce in warm place for 30 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons butter and serve.

By Robin from Washington, IA