ProductsCleaning

Homemade Lemishine Recipe

The water here in Phoenix is REALLY hard. My glasses come out of the dishwasher all cloudy, and my plates have white residue on them. I have tried Jet Dry, but that isn't working. I tried a product called Lemishine that I got from Wal Mart. It works wonders. I know I will get someone telling me to use vinegar, but I am really looking for a homemade recipe for Lemishine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Carl from Phoenix, AZ

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Carl,

I agree - Lemishine works wonders in the dishwasher. I had cloudy glassware that looks brand new again! If you get a homemade recipe i would love to have it.

I can't give you the recipe you seek, but I do have a suggestion. My wine glasses also became cloudy in the dishwasher in our hard water. Then someone in a department store china section told me it was phosphate in the dish washing liquid that caused it. Palmolive has just come out with a non-phosphate dishwasher liquid available here in NC. I used it a couple of times, and it seems to slowly remove the rime. It's worth trying if you can't get your recipe.

I agree, that stuff is great but not cheap. I've heard you can also use a packet of lemon koolaid - but that doesn't seem that economical, either.

Lemishine looks an awful lot like (and smells like) Tang to me. I've read where Tang can be used to clean up dish "cloudiness" in the dishwasher. Somewhere I read that if you have hard water you should add 2 tablespoons of Tang to the dishwasher. I don't know how the cost compares though.

Is the inside of your dishwasher looking dull? It could be hard mineral deposits that have built up on the inside. These deposits not only make the dishwasher look dirty, but they could also affect its performance. And if you are thinking of selling your home, a dull dishwasher could be a deterrent to potential home buyers.

I have heard of people using Tang to get the mineral deposits out. The Tang works well, but it is a bit costly to be used as a dishwasher cleaner, especially if you don't ordinarily drink the stuff. The reason Tang works so well at cleaning out all of the built up mineral deposits is because it contains citric acid. The citric acid breaks down the minerals, and they can wash away. Tang also comes in a powdered form, which makes it convenient to use in the dishwasher, just as you might use automatic dishwasher detergent.

But there is a product that is just as effective as Tang. It contains citric acid and comes in a powdered form. It is also a lot less money. The product I am talking about is a small package of unsweetened lemon Kool-Aid. Make sure that you pick up the unsweetened version and not the sugar-free version. You can purchase a packet for 25 cents, although I have seen them as low as 10 cents at discount stores and on sale at regular grocery stores. Tang generally sells for about $5 or more, and I have yet to ever see it on sale.

Just place the lemon Kool-Aid into the soap dispenser of your machine and run an empty load for a complete cycle. Not only will the dishwasher shine on the inside, but it will have a nice lemon smell when you open it.

Citric acid, the kind used for canning to prevent fruit from browning works great. You can buy a "spice" sized container for $1 at many dollar stores. I use about 2 teaspoons in each cup and run the dishwasher empty on the light setting when the interior starts to look dull.

Here's another fix. I think it works better than lemishine. A new company in Florida sells a product called CitriClean. More info or buy on line at www.CitriClean.net

A friend of mine uses this recipe hope it helps: 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup Lemishine, and 1/2 cup kosher salt, mix all and store in airtight container. Add 1 rounded tablespoon to the main wash cup and 1 to the pre-wash cup, and fill your rinse compartment with vinegar.

This is a recipe I found online I don't know how well it works. I'm going to try it once I can get to the store to buy the citric acid anyway here it is:

1 cup citric acid

2 cup kosher salt

I found it at http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/di ... r-soft-water-and-homemade-lemishine/

Again I haven't used it, so I don't know if it works.

Home and Garden Cleaning ProductsSeptember 24, 2008
Tofu on Plate with White Background
Homemade Tofu Recipes
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 18, 2016 at 10:08:07 PM on 10.0.1.177 in 935 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.