Decorating Ideas For Living Room

How do I decorate a huge living room, with a built in gas fireplace that has a shelf on top of it for a TV? The room has a staircase hidden by a half wall on one side, the other side is next to a bar/dining nook. On one wall, beside the fireplace is a huge window, the other side is a full wall.

By Teresa from Southaven, MS

That is kind of hard for anybody to tell you without seeing the room and seeing what you have for furniture. It also depends on what you like and how you like your furniture arranged.

I watch HGTV a lot, and one of the things I see them doing in large living rooms is to group the sofa and chairs in the middle of the room so that the sofa is facing the fireplace with end tables on each side of it and a coffee table in front. Then the chairs are flanking each side of the sofa facing the coffee table. Around the outer edges of the room wherever there is wall space, they place other pieces of furniture, such as a bookcase, desk, etc.

August 29, 2010 Flag

I would like some help on decorating my living room. I'm about to move into a new apartment. I am decorating in kind of fashion things like shoes, purses, models and some "live, laugh, and love" things thrown in.

Well all of my decor is beige and black. My couch is a sectional that is dark brown and beige. I was thinking of getting black and beige curtains, but I don't know. I don't want it to look so boring. Should I throw another accent color in? If so what color? Should I get curtains the color of the accent color?

By Katy from TX

Answers:

Decorating Ideas For Living Room

If it were me, I'd save the shoes and handbags theme for your bedroom or bathroom and use "nature" as a theme for your living room.

With beige, black, and brown, you can use almost any color. I like different shades of green. But you can use any color as an accent as long as it's a bold, bright shade. (red, bold blue, mustard). But with any green, you can't go wrong., olive, hunter, sage, or lime. Then you'll have the colors of nature for sure. You can use little stones and grass, with textures, too. Nature can inspire many different styles, modern, traditional, or country. Think of all the high-end spas and how they use nature as a reference. Maybe a silk tree and several plants as well.

* Find yourself a nice large throw-rug (in 5x7 or larger) or a big wonderful picture, print or painting that you love and use the color or colors in one of these to choose your accent color(s) from. You can't go wrong this way!

If you buy (or make) curtains in the same color as the wall they are to be hung on (white or whatever the color is) your room will look much larger and you can put color in other places instead. (04/26/2010)

By Cyinda

Decorating Ideas For Living Room

It sounds like to me that you are young and have a happy, positive spirit. Since brown and beige are both bland, neutral colors and you are only young once, Go for it! Whatever your favorite bright color is, punch up the room with it and one more color splashed here and there. Primary colors will work great: the colors in the Crayola color crayon box which has eight crayons in it. Red, with a little orange and yellow here and there, or a bright, bright blue with some purple splashed around, and more and more of whatever you like. It is your home, after all if someone wants to go look at a picture, direct them to the nearest museum or magazine rack. Have fun! (04/27/2010)

By dollyslaffn

April 25, 2010 Flag

I have a small living room that I need re-decorated. I got married and moved here. The living room has a small fireplace trimmed with black brick and white trim. There is black brick on the floor around the hearth area. It also has a white mantel.

The walls are an ecru color. What can I do? I have a new couch that has golds, reds, and a little brown. Any help is appreciated.

By msnurse from Huntsville, AL

Answers:

Decorating Ideas For Living Room

I would pull out a color from the furniture and paint the walls that color. The gold (or could go a little more toward golden tan so it's not so yellow) or red, burgundy, or something in that area would do. (02/11/2010)

By Allison5

February 8, 2010 Flag

I am trying to redecorate my living room. Here is the situation; I have 1 red wall, 3 light tan walls, light oak dining room table, black couches, medium oak colored coffee table, and a fireplace with blue on front and med/light blue carpet. Please tell me how I can tie all this together.

By tipecnu from Portage, MI

Answers:

Decorating Ideas For Living Room

I would suggest that the red wall be painted the same blue color as is in the carpet and on the fireplace. Then your three colors in the room would be tan, black and blue. Go to the fabric store and find a black, tan and blue pattern you like and make pillows for your couch and a valance for the window. You could also use this same pattern as a tablecloth for your dining room table. This should help the room look coordinated. (05/16/2009)

By springmaid5

Decorating Ideas For Living Room

Buy a throw run that has all of these colors in it (to put over your wall to wall) and that will work! As a secondary idea, buy throw pillows in these colors too. Lastly, you can also buy a print or painting or even a tapestry, quilt, drapery or wonderful piece of fabric with all of the above colors. The matching rug will be enough and it's the best solution by far. It may take some looking, but it'll be well worth it. If your decor theme is modern then buy a geometric or simple rug, and if your decor is traditional, then buy a traditional rug. (05/16/2009)

By Cyinda

Decorating Ideas For Living Room

If you can't find a pre-made rug, go to a carpeting store and select a carpet you like. Give them your measurements and they will cut and bind a piece of carpet for you! (05/22/2009)

By PENGUINGRANNY55

May 16, 2009 Flag

I need ideas for re-decorating my living room, any suggestions?

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceAugust 29, 2010
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Furniture in a Living Room
Arranging Furniture in a Living Room
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
🎄