Yellow Spots on Lawn from Dog

My lawn has yellow spots. My back yard is common ground. How do I get rid of the numerous yellow spots from my neighbor's dog urine and prevent the dog from pooping on occasion in my yard, especially near my patio.

My neighbor thinks its OK to let the dog pee in my yard. He cleans up his poop, but I want his dog to go some place else. Are there any products or treatments?

By Cooleydog from St. Charles, MO

Why should you have to repair your yard damage because of a neighbors pet? If you do not have a dog and/or there is a leash/restraint law in your area I say tell your neighbor to keep his dog in his own yard or you will have to report him to the proper authorities for not having his dog tethered because you're tired of damage to your property! Phooey about political correctness and niceness with your neighbor because he's not being considerate and doing the right nice thing to you!

As for the current yellow spots, what I would do is metal rake the dead spots and re-seed.

First off, stop allowing the dog to do his business in your yard. It's nice that the neighbor cleans it up, but you can't expect the dog to understand what he can and can't do in your yard. Very politely ask your neighbor to take the dog somewhere else. Then, get an ultrasonic trainer, and use it every time you see the dog in your yard. It emits an ultrasonic sound that only the dog can hear. They don't like that sound. It's akin to fingernails on a chalkboard. Eventually the dog will associate going in your yard with an unpleasant experience and he will stop going in your yard. The absolute best one is from Invisible Fence. Good luck. :-)

June 24, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know what to do about the yellow spots on the lawn from female dogs urinating. Someone said to use brewers yeast. Does anyone know about this?

Carol from NY

Yellow spots on lawn from dog

First flush with plenty of water to dilute urine. Hose it really good as the urine is like a fertilizer and it needs to be thinned greatly with water. You might add a little lime to the area to sweeten the soil and take the acid out of the area. Water works really good. You cannot get too much water in these areas. (05/24/2004)

By M.B.Wright.

Yellow spots on lawn from dog

Give your dogs a tablespoon of tomato juice per day, that should take care of it. The acid in the tomato takes care of the alkaline in urine. Make sure she doesn't have a UTI. Good luck! (that tip came from (05/24/2004)

By Dee

Yellow spots on lawn from dog

Yellow spots from a dog are the result of a diet too high in protein. The dog breaks down the protein, but can't use all of the nitrogen so it is excreted in the urine, causing nitrogen burn on your lawn. Try a different diet or mixing the current diet with a diet higher in fiber. (05/24/2004)

By patticat

Yellow spots on lawn from dog

Last year we sprinkled new grass seed in those spots and then fertilized it with the 16-16-16 fertilizer (we were also getting rid of weeds) and lime. A combination of it all worked great, but I am sure that the lime would work great alone. (05/24/2004)

By Princess Frogee

Yellow spots on lawn from dog

I put sugar on the areas and that helps a lot, too.
All my kids pee on the lawn and it stops their yellow spots. (07/11/2007)

By Doug

Yellow spots on lawn from dog

There is really only one lawn patch product that works to get rid of yellow spots, K9 Yard Patch.

The other brands just "cover" urine spots. K9 Yard Patch actually neutralizes pet urine, conditions and fertilizes the soil organically and retains moisture to germinate the fast growing seed. Not to mention covering more square feet and yellow spots than other named brands for a fraction the cost. I would go the web site and try it (07/03/2008)

By K9 Lover

Yellow spots on lawn from dog

I give my dog about 10-20mg of vitamin C every other day (watch to see if if adversely affects the dog) sometimes at first if given too much the dog can get heartburn, stomach ache. My dog is about 35 lbs and that was recommended by my vet and the yellow spots have disappeared. (08/25/2008)

By Patrat

dog peeing on grass
Fixing Grass Damaged By Dog Pee
Pets DogsJune 24, 2010
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Couple Looking at Bare Spots in Lawn
Filling Bare Spots in a Lawn
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn