Substitutions for Crisco

Can you substitute canola oil for Crisco? This is for a flat bread recipe.

By dorygail

Please be aware, when u heat vegetable oils to high heat, such as frying, broiling, or anything where the heat is more than the boiling point, 212, then the heat converts it into trans fatty acids. It's just the way it is. Use butter or lard, which I know people think is so very bad, but these fats cannot be changed or destroyed by high heat. Coconut oil may be ok, too, I'm not sure.

Yes you can use oil. In the flat bread recipe I have it calls for two tablespoons of oil for four cups of flour. I use olive oil and whole wheat pastry flour. If I have it handy I use 2 tablespoons of fat free plain yogurt or sour cream. This makes a very tender flat bread.

Heat will only transform oils if you use them for frying, not for baking. They remain stable in baking. Also coconut oil is a saturated fat, please do not use it at all. Lard is completely saturated since it is animal fat and butter as well. OCanola oil is fine for stir frying. Saturated fats are still on the no-no list as well, not just saturated fats.

You can replace the solid fat with oil in your baking, but since the solid fats contain moisture as well as the fat the ratio is a bit different:

1 tbl oil + 1 tsp. liquid = 1 1/4 Tbsp. l solid fat

3/4 tbl oil + 1/2 tsp. liquid = 1 Tbsp. solid fat

3/4 cup oil + 1/4 cup liquid = 1 cup solid fat

Ihis will keep your baked goods healthy and moist as well. It came with a Mazola recipe book about 30 years ago and I have been using it since with good results

3/4 cup oil = 1 cup solid fat

Okay, what I meant to say is this: saturated fats are still a no-no along with the transfats :) Got to slow down and read my posts thoroughtly :)

I have always been able to use Crisco and lard interchangeably. I use my grandmom's recipes and use Crisco when it calls for lard as sometimes lard is hard to find where I live.

Hello Quiltmum, I would like to know where it was, or is, that you came across your version of what a good fat is. If you are interested in knowing the truth and real version of a good fat go to the link below, and also click on google you will also learn more truths, about coconut oil that work, and has been used for hundreds of years in safe ways; unlike the large conglomerate billion dollar deal makers, that would want us to believe what they have brainwashed us to also believe. They have squashed these poor farmers from there homes and lively hood since the middle 40's, and has ruined our health in the greed to make money.

the miracle of coconut oil.com

Happy reading,

Patrival

November 17, 2011 Flag

What can I use in the UK in place of shortening or Crisco? In the UK we have butter, margarine, and lard. Thank you to anyone who can help.

By Paula

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would think you would have something similar to shortening in the UK, you just might have to look really hard because of whatever it would be called. Here in the US, as soon as Crisco started making the butter flavored shortening, I started using an equal amount of margerine, then later on I started using the same amount of applesauce when I baked cakes, because it was healthier.

I just looked on Wikipedia, and there it said in the UK and Ireland there is a shortening called Cookeen.

Yes, Cookeen or Stork brand should work. Maybe vegetable suet too.

Lard always works for me. The best pie crust is made with lard, and I fry with it also.

Have you tried Trex? It make lovely short pastry used on it,s own or you can use it half and half with margarine. It's available in most supermarkets.

I remember something called "Spry". When I lived in the U.K. Remember, shortening does not need refrigeration, so you will not find it with the butter or lard. It will probably be with the cooking oil or baking ingredients.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsAugust 27, 2009
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Substitutions for Wine in Recipes
Small Bowl of Imitation Bacon
Substitutions For Bacon
jug of milk
Substitutions for Milk
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 3:44:31 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.