Substitute for Crisco or Shortening?

What can I use in the UK in place of shortening or Crisco? In the UK we have butter, margarine, and lard. Thank you to anyone who can help.

By Paula

I would think you would have something similar to shortening in the UK, you just might have to look really hard because of whatever it would be called. Here in the US, as soon as Crisco started making the butter flavored shortening, I started using an equal amount of margerine, then later on I started using the same amount of applesauce when I baked cakes, because it was healthier.

I just looked on Wikipedia, and there it said in the UK and Ireland there is a shortening called Cookeen.

Yes, Cookeen or Stork brand should work. Maybe vegetable suet too.

Lard always works for me. The best pie crust is made with lard, and I fry with it also.

Have you tried Trex? It make lovely short pastry used on it,s own or you can use it half and half with margarine.

It's available in most supermarkets.

I remember something called "Spry". When I lived in the U.K. Remember, shortening does not need refrigeration, so you will not find it with the butter or lard. It will probably be with the cooking oil or baking ingredients.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsNovember 17, 2011
🎉
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Substitute-for-Crisco-or-Shortening.html