Abby's Lumpia Recipe

Category Filipino
Lumpia is a type of spring roll which originated in China. It is a popular snack found in Indonesia and the Philippines. The wrappers can be stuffed with a meat blend or simply vegetables. This page contains Abby's lumpia recipe.

This recipe was shared with me by my God Mother, Abadessa. Lumpia has been a staple at every party at my God Mother's house since I was a kid. In my opinion, she makes it the best and this is how she taught me to make it. That said, she never measures anything so this is as close as I can get to her recipe. Today I am going to share with you the standard meat lumpia recipe. Later I will share with you a vegetarian recipe and even gluten free recipe that I came up with for my nephew who has a gluten intolerance.

• 1 pkg lumpia wrappers
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lb ground pork
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 can water chestnuts, finely sliced
  • 1 bunch green onions, finely cut
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, finely diced (optional)
  • 1 bulb of garlic, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp salt

1. Take the lumpia wrappers out of the freezer and let thaw while mixing up the filling. I buy the wrappers like in the picture below because they come with a piece of parcement paper in between. These are slightly more expensive but help me save on time. The other lumpia wrappers need to be carefully peeled away from each other, and if you have a helper, they are a bit cheaper.
  2. Advertisement

3. Mix the pork and beef together.
  4. Pour in the soy sauce and pepper and stir until well incorporated.
  5. Add in the onions, green onions, celery, water chestnuts and garlic. Stir until well incorporated.
  6. Add one egg, salt and mix well.
  7. Prepare a small bowl with a little water in it, for sealing up the rolls. Lay a wrapper on a flat surface. Place about 1 Tablespoon of filling on to one edge of the wrapper. Fold over the edge until the filling is contained under it.
  8. Advertisement

9. Fold the sides in and tightly roll up the roll. Dip your fingers into the water and seal the edge of the roll. Set aside and continue filling and rolling.
  10. Fry them up on medium high for about 2 minutes until all sides are browned. Check your first one by cutting in half to make sure the meat is cooked through. If you find they are browing too quickly adjust the heat.
  11. Drain fried lumpia on paper towels. Serve and enjoy.

Food and Recipes Recipes International FilipinoJune 27, 2017
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Abbys-Lumpia.html