Adjusting Sewing Machine Tension

How do I go about adjusting bobbin tension on a Singer sewing machine?

By Lee542 from Easton, PA

Answers:

Adjusting Sewing Machine Tension

If you take out the bobbin case you will see a tiny screw on it where you pull the thread through, you simply turn that 1/4 a turn and try sewing again to see if the problem is fixed. Are you positive the top tension is right? Unless someone has messed with a machine the bobbin tension is usually not the problem.

I found a website to help explain it better than I can. Just remember that once you start messing with the bobbin tension it's possible to get things really messed up. If you do change the bobbin tension I would make a mark where it currently is on the racer (bobbin case) so it can be set back to where it was.

You don't mention what problem you are having, that can be important, as well. If the fabric isn't passing through smoothly it may have nothing at all to do with the tension. There is a "feed dog tensioner" on all machines that allows you to adjust the the amount of space between the feed dog and the plate and if that is too tight it can keep the fabric from passing through smoothly.

Here is a website I found that can explain the tension to you.

essortment.com (10/06/2009)

By wolfbytez

Adjusting Sewing Machine Tension

I have a Singer sewing machine also, mine was given to me second hand with no manual. I Googled "Singer sewing machine manual" and found on their website a printable version. It works for almost anything that you need a missing manual for. There are several websites that do nothing but. All free by the way. Hope this helps. (10/07/2009)

By nooneshomeingotham