Cleaning ToolsCleaning

Adjusting a Dust Pan Clamp

Vote for this contest contender!

I purchased this little dust pan at the grocery store. I have seen them at Walmart as well. It is made to clamp onto the broom handle, I would guess tight enough to stay in place which makes the dust pan very convenient. When you use a broom, you usually need a dust pan.

I have a Stanley broom that is ??? old. I have had it for years and love it. Well, the broom handle is a little too small for the dust pan to fit properly and it slides down to the bottom of the handle when I put the broom in the closet.
No problem now. I took a rubber band, that came off a bunch of celery, and put it on the broom handle. This keeps the dust pan from sliding down the handle and it stays right where I need it.

1. Use a large rubber band. (It does not have to be a rubber band. Several wraps of tape to make a hump would also work)
  2. Twist the rubber band over the end of the handle until you have a tight wad that is thick.
  3. Ad

4. Roll the rubber band up the broom handle to where it needs to be in order to stop the dust pan from sliding down the handle.
  5. To keep from bending the bristles on your broom, store it broom side up or hang it so the bristles do not touch the floor.

Using the elastic is a good idea and I'll use it next time if I need a quick fix.

What I did was make a thick bead around the broom handle using a glue gun. That works for a while but it gradually breaks down. The elastic is a more practical solution. Thanks.

The rubber band also holds the dust pan in place and keeps it from turning. I just figured this tip out last week and have been putting up with it sliding since I purchased it several months ago.

The glue sounds like a good tip as well however, I have a bunch of these celery rubber bands. They have come in handy for a lot of things. I'm sure it will need to be replaced eventually.