Agency to Help Senior Citizen Scammed on Roof Repair

I heard of a web site that helps people like us, but can't seem to find it. Our roof was leaking terribly. So much that the ceilings started to collapse. We had to move out in October. My husband was in the hospital and then rehab for over a month. I was diagnosed with cancer with doctor appointments, radiation, and chemo to follow.

The con artist took close to 24k to do roof, ceilings, painting, and texturing of walls, etc. He was going to also install kitchen cabinets I had purchased. Our roof stands with tar paper on it and nothing else. Basically he demoed the whole house then ran. He also stole fixtures, etc. that I purchased at at Home Depot along with shingles that I purchased.

Last time any conversation took place he basically laughed in my face and told me where to go, along with take me to court. It's now Jan 21, 2015 and we still have no home to go too. I have gone to all TV stations, called various organizations to no avail. Is there someone out there left in this world with a heart? I know there is. It's very hard for me asking for help. Any little help would be greatly appreciated. I have Him on my side. I just want my family back into our home.

By Becky

Best Answer

I do not know of any "agency" that can help you in this situation. The only action you may have at this point is to file a legal suit against the contractor and try to recover some of what he stole from you. However, this action will take more money as few lawyers will accept this type of case without a sizable retainer. Also, the contractor either has no money and goods to file against or has protected himself against possible suits by various "legal" or, at least, "unsearchable" methods.

You do not say how you came to use the services of this contractor but, as you now know, you can never be too careful in checking the background and business practices of anyone to perform work for you.