Ambrosia Recipes

What happened to ambrosia, food of the gods? We had it a few times around Christmas and I loved it. I haven't heard of it in decades.

This is one recipe you can experiment with to your heart's desire. I like all I've tried except those containing grapefruit. I'm interested in knowing what other TF members put in theirs.

If you still make ambrosia and have a tried and true recipe, I hope you will share it here.

Thanks

We have received a few ambrosia recipes over the years but, as you say, it is old fashioned. The last one was submitted nearly 10 years ago.

www2.thriftyfun.com/.../tf_article.lasso?id=tf73177330

Reminds me of my grandmother. She used to make ambrosia at Thanksgiving. Pineapple and whipped cream and who knows what else. It was always a favorite.

We used to use the juice from maraschino cherries to make ours pink and it added a nice sweetness. Then we added an extra helping of the cherries to the mix since the canned mixed fruits just used to a wave a cherry over the can. Thanks for the nice memory!

I do like the idea of using cherry juice. Back when I would have a nip or two, I used to make a delicious Manhattan. I always added a bit of cherry juice. It's been years. i may just try that again.

Thanks!

A Manhattan sounds lovely! Blessings for a happy, healthy, joyful, and kind new year!!

This recipe is highly rated and from Alton Brown. www.foodnetwork.com/.../ambrosia-recipe-1950306

I read this, Judy. Sounds so good. If I do make it, I will be sure to use fresh mandarins. The canned ones just don't get it.

Thanks

Usually when I made Ambrosia for my family they would remark; 'Mom's getting fancy again".

I believe that I've always used the same ingredients except changing the kind of whipped cream occasionally.

whipped topping (Cool Whip or fresh)
sour cream
pineapple tidbits
mandarin orange segments
red and green seedless grapes
sweetened coconut flakes - optional with my family
mini marshmallows
maraschino cherry halves - more than needed probably
chopped pecans - also optional with my family

I only found one recipe that seemed to match what I used so I used their list:

www.thecountrycook.net/.../

Here is a 6 minute 6 ingredient recipe. 1 8 oz tub cool whip, 1/2 c. Sour cream, 2 c. Marshmallows, 20 oz can pineapple chunks or tidbits, 11 oz jar maraschino cherries, 15 oz can mandarin oranges.

Opt add ins are pecans, walnuts, coconut, food coloring.

I love this one from the Food Network, www.foodnetwork.com/.../ambrosia-recipe-1950306 , The best part of this recipe is instead of mandarin oranges, it uses fresh Clementine's , heavy cream, and sour cream , to give this Ambrosia a rich and fresher taste. Everything about this recipe screams freshness and flavor.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts Fruit DessertsDecember 28, 2020
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Ambrosia-Recipes.html