Ammonia to Kill Fleas

I use ammonia to get rid of fleas. I close the window and then pour it on the carpet and anywhere your dogs lay. Take your dogs and cats out of the house for at least 4 hours. When you come back in, open all windows. There should be no more fleas. Just run the vacuum all through the house and give your dog or cat a flea bath.

When I do this, I don't get fleas back in my house for a good year.

I never thought of using ammonia, I'll have to give this a try!

I've been known to 'mop' a bleach and water or a vinegar and water solution onto the carpets to kill off a heavy infestation (works a treat!). I don't like using commercial pesticides but sometimes those are the only application that are successful, too.

Fleas are such determined little beggers! Every time we moved into a new home the first thing I did before bringing in a single box of our things was the bleach or vinegar mopping!

The previous owners may have sworn they never had pets or fleas but sand fleas hitch a ride in on trouser legs. Between feeding on you and laying eggs in the carpeting and upholstery, they can cause a huge infestation.

You pour ammonia on carpet or spray on carpet

How do you mop the carpet

I have been fighting this disgusting traumatic flea problem for about 2 months. It was soo bad I had to get rid of my cats :(

I've been trying EVERYTHING & Nothing seems to work! Spend alot of $$ on flea bombs etc. & still they are taking over my household! I am a very clean person so I dont understand why they are still here. I dont know what else to do. PLEASE SOMEONE WHAT WORKS & WORKED FOR YOU??? I havent tried ammonia but will be doing that in the early Am. I HATE FLEAS they have made me hate every bug on earth I want them All DEAD!!

Anonymous

I had flees I live Oklahoma out in the country I have alot of animals tried all kinds of stuff to kill them then a lady told me how to get rid of them cheap I got a gallon icecream lid put a little bit of water in it with dawn dish soap an out a light over it at night I was shocked the first couple of nights of how many there was but every night there was fewer an fewer until there was very small ones then none it works an sabes alot of money

Top Comment

I tried ammonia out of desperation. The fleas were eating my legs up. After spraying the carpet with ammonia the flea bites stopped.

It's best to put pets outside, spray carpeted areas and leave. I also put ammonia in my carpet cleaner.

has the ammonia thing worked for anyone? my house is badly infested with fleas not sure why either we have 2 dogs and a cat but we are very clean people and the animals are treated. the pest control services has come in 4 times already we still cant get rid of these.. please let me know.

Hate fleas..i have the same problem you have, yesterday my friend told me to get a large sprayer,mix a gallon of ammonia,and a half a gallon of chlorox bleach, and spay under house,and in yard, and to use a mask..spray that mixture 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks..

My mom gave me good advice on this a long time ago. If you have a flea problem don't throw the animals out or get rid of them because they will start attacking you instead but I had them so bad one year omg had to move I got place sprayed 3 times used top shelf sprays and bombed several times but bug Guy said that year they were super bugs so .

But I have 5 cats too many and they always leave tons of eggs when they get up from sleeping and it's gross not to mention they sleep alot in our beds so I'm constantly changing sheets smh. Oh and ingested flea eggs equal pin Worms in humans so.... But I'm gonna try the amonia and lice killer good luck to ya

Can I use this on my mattress and dogs bed. If so how much do I use . Will it kill dog fleas?

Hey Adelle, my home is infested with fleas. I've tried everything from banana peels to lavender oils to baking soda, salt, 20 Mule Borax, insecticide, Insect Growth Regulator (which work but are slow) and Nematodes to name a few. The fleas had infested my kitchen, including inside my dishwasher and behind my oven. Finally I cleaned the back of my oven with bleach and found that the biting somewhat lessened. I then did a bleach search to see if it kill fleas and that's how I found out about ammonia. I went to the store this morning and bought six they cost $0.98 for half a gallon.

I have sprayed two of my guest rooms that I don't use plus the mattresses because the fleas have infested the mattress is also. I will update by the end of the day to see if the ammonia worked. I highly doubt the fleas will make it out alive because I only put very little water, I have to run out of the room because the fumes were overwhelming. This is a drastic measure but I've been sleeping in my car for the last couple of weeks, I'm so fed up of being miserable. I will update by the end of the day, if it works the next room I'll do will be my bedroom.

I have a 11 year old Yorkie who is constantly chewing and licking himself- particularly in his back area. The Fleas have infested him REALLY BAD a few times. It really frustrates both of us. I've been using Heartz flea and Tick shampoo but they come right back.

I heard diluted tea tree oil and Dawn is the best. And rincing is important. I'm going to try it diluted very much in his bath to see how well it works. Ill let you know the results. Sometimes he will lick some of the water- I hope he doesn't do it with the tea tree oil.

I'm going to try amonia spray first thing tomorrow morning. I cleaned my kitchen with bleach.... undiluted....wrong I know but the flea bites lessened right away. I'd never heard of amonia for carpets. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous

Do I use straight ammonia in a spray bottle and how often do I do this ?

Can you use lemon scent ammonia on the floor no carpet in house