DecoupageCrafts

Antique Rose Upcycled Bottle Vase

Vote for this contest contender!

I am in the process of changing my décor in my house, adding a few new accents here and there. I do not have the finances to spend on overpriced store bought items, so I am recycling trash into treasure.

With this project, the challenge was to use only materials that I already had available. As I had no Modge Podge left, I found a recipe for homemade Modge Podge online (1 cup of woodworking glue and 1/3 cup of water mixed together). I also printed photos from https://www.pexels.com/ ~ these photos are free for personal and even for commercial use. I also used edible dusting powder that was part of the baking accessories I was gifted with last year.

In the end, the project required time, without having to spend any additional money. Yeah!

Total Time: weekend project, drying time included

Yield: one bottle vase

1. Wash the bottle and allow to dry upside down overnight. If necessary, use mineral turpentine to remove any glue residue from where the label was stuck.
  2. Cut out all eight printed roses.
  3. Use the thick paintbrush and paint a substantial amount of Modge Podge on to the back of the first rose. Position the rose on the bottle and paint some Modge Podge over the top of the rose too, so that it will stick to the bottle. Use your finger to lightly rub out any air bubbles. Do the same with the other 7 roses, adding them around the bottle, but staying below the shoulder of the bottle. Then, paint a layer of Modge Podge over the whole bottle and allow to dry for a few hours.
  4. Cut the toilet paper in strips. Roll each strip between your fingers and then use Modge Podge to glue it to the bottle. Glue strips all around the neck, finish, and collar of the bottle to add lovely texture to your project. Allow to dry for a few hours.
  5. Use the gray and black oil pastels to color the toilet paper strips.
  6. Use the fine paintbrush to brush black and luster silver dusting powder over some random areas of the bottle. This will give the bottle an antique, smoky look.
  7. Apply one coat of Hard as Nails varnish and allow to dry thoroughly.
  8. Ad

It's beautiful!

Thanks attosa!

I love the outcome, beautiful :)

Thank you 15mhhm15!