Apple Kugel Recipes

Category Desserts
apple casserole
This delicious combination of noodles and sweet spices may just become your favorite comfort food. This page contains apple kugel recipes.

A traditional Jewish pastry.

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the apples with brown sugar and orange juice and set aside in a medium bowl. Break the matzo into 2-3 inch pieces and soak in 1 cup of warm water until soft, but not mushy. Set aside. While the matzo soaks, in a large bowl, beat the eggs with a wire whisk until blended. Add the salt, sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, raisins, and apricots.

Squeeze the liquid from the softened matzo and add the matzo to the egg mixture with the apples. Stir the kugel well and pour into a lightly greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish or a 10x14 inch pan. Dot the top of the kugel with the 4 tablespoons of butter.

Bake the kugel for 1 hour. Cover the top with foil if the top begins to become too brown early in the baking. Remove the kugel from the oven and cool to room temperature

Source: My Jewish Lesson

By LRP from LWL, MA

Ingredients

• 1 (12 oz.) package medium egg noodles
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 (16 oz.) container cottage cheese
  • 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup chopped apple (optional)
  • 1 cup raisins (optional)
  • ground cinnamon for sprinkling

Directions

Cook egg noodles until done and drain. Beat the eggs and mix well with sugar. Add vanilla and mix well, then the cottage cheese, sour cream, milk, and the butter. Add the cooked noodles (and apples or raisins, if you choose to use them), and stir until well combined. Pour mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C) for one hour. Cool for about 10 minutes., then slice into desired portions.

Makes approx. 18 servings

By Connie from Cotter, AR

I am looking for an apple noodle kugel recipe.

By padufresne

Use the search box on the following website:

http://www.recipezaar.com

I have a recipe for Plum Noodle Kugel. You could probably substitute apples for plums.

6 oz noodles (any kind, bow tie, egg noodles etc.)

3 eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

1 cup soft unseasoned bread crumbs

2 tbsp melted butter

3 3/4 c plums, quartered and pitted

1 cup sugar

1 cup applesauce

1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)

Cook noodles in boiling water til barely tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Beat eggs. Add sugar and cinnamon; mix well. Toss noodles in egg mixture. Stir in plums and apple sauce. Pour into a buttered 2 qt casserole. Combine bread crumbs, melted butter and nuts. Sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden. Serve warms.

I've also used canned plums and it works out well. My grandmother used to make plum dumplings and this tastes pretty close to those, which were awesome! Hope you like it!

Many years ago, The New York Daily News featured a cooking column by Ella Elvin. One of my favorites was a recipe for Apple Noodle Kugel. I've misplaced the recipe, and nothing else that I've tried comes close to it. With the upcoming Jewish Holidays, I need help! Does anyone out there have Ella Elvin's recipe? Thanks so much!

Sharon from New York, NY

Answers:

Apple Noodle Kugel Recipe

www.bigoven.com has a number of apple kugel recipes. Maybe if you search the recipes on there, you will find one that sounds familiar for you? Good luck! (09/21/2008)

By Jilson

Apple Noodle Kugel Recipe

There is an old cookbook from 1962:

The Sunday News Family Cook Book (Hardcover)
by Alice Petersen and Ella Elvin

I found used copies for sale at Amazon and other used book dealers online. One price was only 8 cents plus shipping and handling. (09/21/2008)

By OhioGirl

Apple Noodle Kugel Recipe

Many libraries have newspaper archives. You could check to see if these are online and look for your recipe that way.

Also, many newspapers have archives. You may be able to search your newspaper for your key words and come up with that recipe.

Have you tried googling her name or the recipe? (09/22/2008)

By bluealt

Apple Noodle Kugel Recipe

This is the recipe I have. Passed down from family. I have put it down as it's written.
I hope it's what you are looking for.

Luchen Kugel:

• 1 pkg. wide noodles (cooked)
  • 3 lbs. green apples
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • sugar/cinnamon
  • raisins

Grease casserole (1.5 qt)
    Soften raisins. Peel and slice apples as for pie. Slices should be thin.
    Mix all above ingredients together. Put into casserole.
    Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. (09/22/2008)

Apple Noodle Kugel Recipe

I have a copy of the Sunday News cookbook mentioned by OhioGirl and the recipe you desire is not in it. But it is a good cookbook nevertheless. (09/22/2008)

By susan matthews

Apple Noodle Kugel Recipe

I have two very good noodle kugel tried and true recipes. One has lots of cheese it in it, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc., and the other is just a noodle pudding with crushed pineapple with lots of eggs which forms like a custard. Don't know if these are similar to the NY daily news recipe you are looking for, but if you have any interest, please contact me and I will send it on to you. Happy new year, Sandi from New Jersey. (09/22/2008)

By sandi

Apple Noodle Kugel Recipe

Check out cooks.com, I found 6 pages of the recipe you are looking for. (09/22/2008)

By Jim.l