Apple Pie Banana Bread
This is a delicious cross between a nutty banana bread and a silky apple pie that contains no eggs. I came up with this because I went away for several days and came back to extra ripe bananas, apples, and a fridge with no eggs. I added the walnuts to the top instead of mixing it in the batter so it was more of a crust layer that added to the apple pie qualities. If you use a nut or coconut milk, this will be vegan. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 apples, peeled and cored
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mash bananas and oil together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add milk and mix until there are no streaks.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry flour mixture into the banana mixture. If it's too firm a dough, you can add milk by the tablespoon.
- Chop the apples so they're a bit chunky for texture.
- Add a bit of oil to a pan over high heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cook, stirring constantly, just until there is a nice caramel sauce at the bottom of the pan, a couple minutes.
- Stir the apples into the banana batter.
- Pour into a prepared pan. I used a greased and lined 10" round pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and press chopped walnuts into the top. Return to bake for another 15 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool a bit before removing from pan. Serve warm or chilled; both are excellent!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!