Attaching Photos to the Outside of Glass Blocks

I am looking into using the craft glass blocks with the opening, as a memorial to a couple of our pets that we lost. I would love to be able to put a picture of the pet on the outside. I don't want it lit, as I am going to being the pets ashes in the opening. (Yes, the ashes will stay in the bags they are in.) Then I was thinking of putting their collar around the block and have their ID tags hang over the picture. How do I attach the picture?

Use a clear glue. If the blocks are clear, could you put the picture on the inside facing out?

I'm sorry for your loss. Your memorial sounds nice. I would be concerned with sealing the photograph to protect it from dust, and moisture.

One way you could go is to have the photograph laminated. Most office supply stores will do this for you for a nominal fee. It coats both sides of the photo and seals it. It doesnt cloud or interfere with photo quality at all. Then you could affix the photo to the block with strong glue or clear silicone chaulking.

I would choose to encase the photo to the block with a two step sealer like Envirotex. It provides adhesion, it seals the photo to the block and makes it waterproof. It would be a more professional finish and possibly last longer. The sealer provides a layer equivical to more than 50 coats of vanish. You only mix the amount you need, so it will do several projects. You simply mix the two liquids and pour it over the project. It coats thoroughly, and has a shiny thick finish. ( The product is often used on tabletops or bartops ) Michaels carries the product and you can use a 40% off weekly coupon making the price

less than ten dollars.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your project.

Would decopage work? I think varnish is the only thing required but youtube can certainly provide specifics. Your plans sound nice.

If there is room on the inside for the ashes and a photo I believe this would work and seal better but if you are going to place them outside in the weather then I'm not sure that varnish would work but a sort of decoupage treatment might seal good enough for a few years (just save copies of photos in case you have to replace them later).

Many decoupage teachers (myself also) will say (for putting on glass) to copy your photos on regular printer paper (not photo paper), then apply an ink fixative (found at craft stores), so the ink will not smear and let it dry thoroughly. Cut photo to size and then put a layer of mod podge on back side and apply photo to glass very slowly and when in place, press firmly and rub with a soft cloth (or tool) to remove any bubbles or spaces. Let this dry (patience) and put a layer of mod podge on the top side. You can repeat, but let completely dry in between coats.
Mod podge is great for this type of thing but here is a link in case you are familiar with using it:

www.wikihow.com/Mod-Podge

I forgot to mention the collar and ID. That sounds like a neat idea but it will have to withstand the weather also. Maybe leather treatment and laminate the ID and good glue would work for those.

Sounds like you have been fortunate to have pets to love and now cherish their memories. I'm with you on this - great idea!