Avocado Growing at an Angle After Pruning

After reading the advice from many online sites to cut the stem of my avocado in half after it reached 8 inches, the top part of the remaining stem died and a new stem sprouted from the side.

Why did this happen, will it be OK? In future should I not cut the stem back down?

Many thanks.

This is fine. I wouldn't worry at all.

It is a challenge to grow avacado from seed. The side growth is normal, the dying top could have happened even if you didn't prune because these are fragile and temperamental.

Keep loving it and taking good care and it hopefully it will come back and keep growing.

When I used to grow them as a kid, I never pruned them, but I also knew Pittsburgh isn't avacado central so I just loved them for as long as I could keep them going.

Enjoy!

That is good, atleast there are new ones grew.

That's fine, you are lucky that it grew another stem. It is very hard to grow an Avocado tree. I personally never did cut my stem when it reached 8 inches, I just let it grow on its own . Cutting the stem is usually to try and make it bush out. I find leaving it alone it will eventually grow other stems out of the initial stem . Why don't you just go ahead and do another Avocado pit and see what happens if you leave it alone.

Good Luck !!