Pruning an Avocado Plant

I read your answer in ASK, but I do not have leaves or branches on my avocado plant only 1 high stem w/leaves. Can I cut the top back or the leaves further down, or just let it keep growing taller w/o branching out? This is all new to me, please help.

By Sandra

Best Answer

Don't cut the top as that will stunt the upward growth of the plant. You can prune off the lower leaves, and that might encourage it to grow more upwards, and then hopefully start to branch. If you prune the lower leaves/branches it forces the plant to put more energy into the stuff on top.
Hope this helps!

I don't WANT to encourage upward growth.I have ONE straight stalk with leaves starting about halfway up it. can I cut it to the ground and see if it branches?