Baked Pasta and Eggplant
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 small eggplants, each 2 inches in diameter
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 lb very ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped basil
- 1 lb macaroni
- 4 oz spicy salami, diced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Starting with the eggplant, cut into 1/4-in slices. Place plate and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Grease a deep dish pie pan with a little olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 1-3/4 cups oil in a wide pan.
- Rinse and dry the eggplant slices.
- Fry in the oil until softened.
- Now for the tomato sauce: Chop the tomatoes. In a frying-pan, saute with garlic in 3 tablespoons of the oil until very soft.
- Add about 3/4 teaspoon salt, the pepper, sugar and herbs and cook for 5 minutes.
- For the Pasta: Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and 1 tablespoon oil, boil until tender but still firm. Drain, place in a mixing bowl. Add the salami, mozzarella, Parmesan and the tomato sauce. Set aside.
- Assembling: Arrange the eggplant slices overlapping each other, to completely line the pie dish.
- Place the sliced eggs over the layer of eggplant
- Pour in the macaroni and press any remaining eggplant on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Let stand for about 7 minutes, turn onto a serving dish.
- Cut into wedges and serve. Pass around additional grated Parmesan. A green salad goes great with this dish.
Hint: Do not say the word eggplant around picky eaters, they will gobble this dish up!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide