Eggplant Custard Bake
This was frugal for me because I grew the carrots and eggplant. I got the tomato sauce for free with coupons, and had the other ingredients. It was healthy and tasty, and I will vary the cheeses and sauces I use depending on what's available. I may try it with just flavored bread crumbs.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- dash salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 large carrot, minced
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Arrange eggplant in a greased 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the eggplant.
- Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes, or until firm.
- While the eggplant is cooking, sauté the onions, garlic and carrot in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the basil, oregano, salt and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the eggplant. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and cheese.
- Broil or return to the hot oven until the top is lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!