Baking Cookies - Tips and Tricks

Ever wonder how bakeries get such round cookies? I know they use molds but they can be costly when you have to buy so many. Here is a useful tip that I do when baking cookies.

I save all my jar tops (the metal ones such as spaghetti jar tops). I grease them thoroughly and put my cookie dough in each one, then flatten it down with a spoon. I then place them on a cookie sheet and bake. When slightly cooled, I then pop them out and they are all the same shape and size. No need to purchase cookie molds when you can use your imagination. Just remember to grease the jar tops well and remove the rubber ring if jar top has it.

I also bake in tin cans. Tuna Cans make perfect cupcakes. Clean them well in lemon juice first.

By Carolyn from E Northport, NY

21 More Solutions

Everyone likes to bake cookies, children as well as experienced bakers. Recipes will most often guide you through whatever cookie you're making, however these tips might add to a cookie baker's success with every different kind of cookie.

When making cookies and squares, I never find that I need as many chocolate chips or nuts that the recipe calls for. Manufacturers are trying to sell their product.

While making my cookies for my family cookie exchange, I decided to put these together for my daughter, who is pregnant with twins! I happened to have regular and small cookie cutters of gingerbread figures and just wanted to give anyone with children or pregnant the idea that they can do so as well!

Gingerbread cookies with small "babies".

When a particular baking item, such as chocolate chips, is on sale, I buy it and make a large batch of cookies. We enjoy half right away, and I freeze the other half for when friends drop by or we just feel like a home baked treat!

I never know when the urge to bake cookies will hit me these days, so I leave the box with the sticks of margarine out of the fridge on the counter so it is soft when I'm ready to use it.

Baking time short? Find 1 or 2 friends to swap cookies with you. Do a double or triple batch of your fav and she does the same, and you swap. Great when you don't have time to do a lot of variety or go to a big cookie swap party!

When making homemade cookies always add 1/2 cup dry oatmeal. Your cookies will not spread all over the pan and they will be delicious! By carol

While one batch of cookies is baking, I prepare the next batch on parchment paper or foil. As soon as a batch is removed from a cookie sheet, the next batch, on the paper, is slid onto the sheet and goes right in the oven. Speeds up things a lot!

I bake all of my cookies on a stoneware pizza pan. Any stoneware oven piece is perfectly good. I spread a very thin layer of oil on. Just enough to coat it but not enough to fry the cookies.

Every Christmas I like to bake an assortment of cookies for friends, but it is such a struggle. I live in Hawaii and am convinced the humidity is ruining my cookie baking but I don't know how to counteract the effects. Cookies are either burned, not baked enough, soft, too hard .... something! Can anyone give me a general idea of what I am up against? I see corrections in recipes for high altitudes but nothing for high humidity.

Mahalo,

Elaine

Answers

By (Guest Post)

I grew up in New Orleans, and I have two thoughts:
1: Borrow an oven thermometer and make sure your oven is the temperature you think it is. It may not be the humidity.
2: Ask your neighbors and friends in the area for their cookie recipes.
3: (Sorry, this one costs money): Look for insulated baking sheets if your cookies are only burned on the bottom.

By (Guest Post)

Sometimes it can be your cookie sheets if they are coated with the older "black" teflon popular several years ago. They required that you turn your oven down 5 degrees lower. Also, if you use glass bakeware for anything, you may need to lower the temperature 5 degrees. I also agree that it may be that your oven is off in its temperature--you may be needing a new thermostat. Check it with an oven thermometer.

By christina (Guest Post)

Definitely is the humidity... i live in Singapore and cookies are fine when I cook in an air conditioned kitchen (a rarity), but I've just moved to a place without air conditioning in the kitchen and my cookies don't rise any more at all.

would love to find a solution.

Answer this Question

Does any one line their cookie sheets with parchment paper before baking?

By waitress

How would I calculate the cost of baking cookies?

By donna from Orlando, FL

Answers

You have to know how many cups are in the bags of flour, sugar, etc. that you use. Then you need to know the cost of those bags, then take the number of dozens of cookies the recipe makes into the total cost of the ingredients. I did that many years ago, when I was married, to compare the cost of homemade cookies, with the cost of bakery cookies. There might be an easier way to do it, but this is the only way I could figure out. I only used the cost of the larger ingredients. Seasonings, etc, you don't use that much of in a recipe.

Doing the math on ingredients is the simple part. Donna said "baking" cookies so I'm thinking she might mean the actual cost of the baking process in her oven. I would be interested in knowing that as well. Is it worth trying to figure that into the cost? If one were baking all day long, I imagine it would be worth adding into the cost of the cookie ingredients, especially if you're trying to recoup and make a profit at a bake sale or other enterprise.

Tips and recipes for freezing cookies and cookie dough. Post your ideas.

Answers

By Linne Dodds (Guest Post)

We recently found out how well Brownies Freeze.
We always wasted some & finally decided to stick half of them in a freezer bag.It worked Great!
The second half of the batch actually seemed to last longer than the first half did when we defrosted them.

To have fresh baked cookies instantly, freeze cookie "balls" on sheets, then bag them and write directions on bag for baking so that family members will also be able to bake "fresh cookies" Yum

By Sonya

When making cookies for the holiday I make double batches of the dough, roll into a log shape, wrap in plastic then in foil, put in freezer. When you have unexpectedly forgot a gift you just needs to slice and bake.

By Beachers from West Covina, CA

Answer this Question

What is the best way to care for Rycraft ceramic cookie stamps?

By Nancy F.

Why do my chocolate chip cookies turn two tone?

By Robbyn from Davenport

By Nancy Fallert from Leavenworth, WA

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CookiesOctober 16, 2012
🎃
🍂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Baking-Cookies.html