Baking Cookies in High Humidity?

Every Christmas I like to bake an assortment of cookies for friends, but it is such a struggle. I live in Hawaii and am convinced the humidity is ruining my cookie baking but I don't know how to counteract the effects. Cookies are either burned, not baked enough, soft, too hard .... something! Can anyone give me a general idea of what I am up against? I see corrections in recipes for high altitudes but nothing for high humidity.

Mahalo,

Elaine

By (Guest Post)

I grew up in New Orleans, and I have two thoughts:
1: Borrow an oven thermometer and make sure your oven is the temperature you think it is. It may not be the humidity.
2: Ask your neighbors and friends in the area for their cookie recipes.
3: (Sorry, this one costs money): Look for insulated baking sheets if your cookies are only burned on the bottom.

By (Guest Post)

Sometimes it can be your cookie sheets if they are coated with the older "black" teflon popular several years ago. They required that you turn your oven down 5 degrees lower.

Also, if you use glass bakeware for anything, you may need to lower the temperature 5 degrees. I also agree that it may be that your oven is off in its temperature--you may be needing a new thermostat. Check it with an oven thermometer.

By christina (Guest Post)

Definitely is the humidity... i live in Singapore and cookies are fine when I cook in an air conditioned kitchen (a rarity), but I've just moved to a place without air conditioning in the kitchen and my cookies don't rise any more at all.

would love to find a solution.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingDecember 10, 2004
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf987240.tip.html