Baking Cupcakes in Ice Cream Cones

Category Cakes
Having cake baked in a cone can add delicious fun for parties. This guide is about baking cupcakes in ice cream cones.

These are a little messy; the kids did these ones. Bake cupcakes right in an ice cream cone. It helps keep messes to a minimum and everything is edible.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

These may look like ordinary ice cream cones. But take a bite, and discover that they are cupcakes in disguise.

Directions:

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.

Place ice cream cones in muffin cups. Spoon about 3 Tbsp. of batter into each cone, filling to three-fourths inches from the top.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Frost and decorate as desired. Makes about 2 dozen.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone have a recipe or the name of a store bought icing that will really 'stand up' without that melting look? My daughter-in-law is planning my grand baby's first birthday party. I bought her cupcake molds in the shape of ice cream cones, so she's going to use cake mix to make the 'cones' then slice off the tops. She wants to pipe the icing on top of the cupcake ice cream cones so the icing will look like ice cream on top of the ice cream cone cup cake.

Today we tried Duncan Hines Whipped vanilla icing and within about 20 minutes those cupcakes were a sad site. They looked like the icing just melted in the sun. Any ideas out there please? The birthday party is in early May, so the sooner your suggestions, the better, please. Thank you!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I agree, a good old buttercream icing would do the trick! Mama used that icing on everything and it is soooo simple to make and you can tint it any color you choose with simple food coloring!

1 box of confectionary sugar
1 stick margarine, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
milk to desired consistency

Empty confectioners sugar into mixing bowl, add margarine, mix on medium until smooth, add vanilla. Add milk until desired consistency reached. You can divide into different bowls and tint into however many colors you choose and then drop down into pastry bag and pipe onto cupcakes!

This icing will harden just a bit when it sets.

Good luck!

Best Answer

Try Betty Crocker fluffy white frosting mix.

I made ice cream cone cupcakes, but the bottoms of my cones burned so I had to throw them all away. Am I the only person this happened to? I followed the recipe that said to put the cones in a muffin tin, and cooked them at the suggested temperature and they still burned. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem!

Answers

Best Answer

My neighbor makes these and she said the same as Judy - use paper cups.

But I was curious and looked it up on the Internet and wow - so many recipes and seems like almost no two were alike.

the one thing I did notice - many had different temperatures for oven (but most said to follow directions on box for muffins).

One did mention the difference in muffin pan material:

Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.

Hope they turn out better next time.

I remember in the early 1970s a TV homemaking program that put a large marshmallow in the bottom of the ice cream cone before adding batter to make the ice cream cupcakes. Does anyone else remember this and does it work?

By Jacki

Answers

I remember the suggestion, although I never did it, did you?

Cupcakes can be messy for little ones when they are trying to remove the cake from the paper. Instead of using the paper liners, put flat bottom type ice cream cones into the muffin pan. Mix up the cake batter and pour into the cones, filling about 2/3 full and bake according to directions for the cake batter you are using. Top with your favorite icing and sprinkles and you have a portable feast for birthday parties, class parties, picnics, etc. The kids like them and you will enjoy the ease of cleanup.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

I've seen this on TV but never knew how to make it. It's the different colored flat bottomed ice-cream cones that have I guess cake mix inside with icing on top. Like a cupcake but in an ice-cream cone. I'm guessing its just cake mix inside, but how much do I put and can I bake that?

Priscilla from Zwolle

Answers:

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

Go to this website www.bettycrocker.com/recipes and type in the search space "ice cream cupcake" and it gives you a large selections to choose from that are quite cute! I did read on another site that the cones become soft and some recommended to bake the cupcakes and then insert them inside the cones once cooled? best of luck

(03/06/2008)

By JoAnn Phillips

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

it is your favorite cake mix and icing you go by package directions as stated on your cake mix and fill the cones half way. I put my cones in a muffin pan and that helps balance them sometimes (03/06/2008)

By Barbara Jean

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

These are simple to make. Just get flat bottom cones and mix cake as box directs. Pour cake to about 1/3 fill or just to where the cone flares. Place in a muffin pan and bake about 20 minutes at 350 or until golden. They will rise up and and mound on top. Then cool as any cake and frost anyway you like and/or decorate with sprinkles or whatever. They are a big hit with little ones. I just made them for a group of 1 and 2 year olds. (03/07/2008)

By Wildshihtzu

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

Hi, Just fill the ice cream cone until it starts to get larger. (Base portion only) Place all cones on a cookie sheet. The cake mix will rise and fill the entire cone. The decorations are all your imagination. I have been doing this for forty years and they are always a pleasure to serve. (03/07/2008)

By Tedebear

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

Buy a Pillsbury Devil's Food Cake Mix. The recipe is on the side panel of the box. Enjoy! (03/07/2008)

By Sylvia in Saipan

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

I used to stand the cones in muffin pans for baking, but found it's easier to stand the cones up in a large cake pan. The last time I made these, I used a regular-sized box of the cones, then made the rest of the mix into regular cupcakes for the adults.
Putting the cones side-by-side in the large pan makes it easier to put them in and out of the oven when baking. (03/07/2008)

By Sharon

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

My Mom used to make these cupcakes and instead of frosting them, she'd top them with ice cream. Yummy! (03/07/2008)

By Awana Reese